Another "What Knife to Buy" Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

Another "What Knife to Buy" Thread

Post by MattM68 »

I'm sure there's a lot of these out there, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on what my next knife should be. And I'm sure you guys like these type of threads anyways. ;) So I'm trying to decide between the Domino(Blue CF or blue G10), the Military, Street Beat, and the Manix 2. I just want to hear people's opinions on which would be best. I just want another knife to carry, and to add to the collection. Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. :)

Thanks everyone,

Matt
MacLaren

Re: Another "What Knife to Buy" Thread

Post by MacLaren »

The Vallotton. Trust me ;)
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

MacLaren wrote:The Vallotton. Trust me ;)
I definitely like the looks of it, but I'm not sure what I think of it... I want to hear what some other people say, but maybe you can sell me on it ;) I'm more interested in the other knives I listed, but if you can convince me, then maybe!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Matt, get a military if you don't have one. It is the eighth wonder of the world!! :eek: :D Seriously, it is a great knife and a classic Sal Glesser design that everyone should have at least one of. One of my all time favorites!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

My vote goes to the blue g10 domino. What a knife! Expensive though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Out of the ones you listed, I only have the manix 2, didnt like how wide it was at first but after carrying the LW S110V for a while and then the Cruwear sprint I must say the manix is really starting to grow on me, really liking the way it fills my hand and both blade steels are awesome, especially the s110v.
cglefty4

Post by cglefty4 »

Agree with the Military recommendation. A must-have for any Spyderco collection. One of those knives that you'll always come back to, even when you have dozens of more exotic models to choose from!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MattM68 wrote:I'm sure there's a lot of these out there, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on what my next knife should be. And I'm sure you guys like these type of threads anyways. ;) So I'm trying to decide between the Domino(Blue CF or blue G10), the Military, Street Beat, and the Manix 2. I just want to hear people's opinions on which would be best. I just want another knife to carry, and to add to the collection. Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. :)

Thanks everyone,

Matt
I have suggestions for days Matt, but I prefer more input on what you have, like, need, and how you use your knives before I share wisdom ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Thanks everyone :) Surfingringo, I really like the Military a lot, but the hardest part is deciding which to get! I have a black on black PM2, and a satin/camo PM2, so which do you think would be best?

And Liquid Cobra, do you have any experience with it? The domino looks great, but I just need to justify the the price...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Blue G10/CTS-204P Domino or Cruwear Manix. I own both, and they are both great knives! The Manix is slightly more "hard use" IMO than the Domino. But the Domino is great, too! You can't go wrong with either.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MattM68 wrote:Thanks everyone :) Surfingringo, I really like the Military a lot, but the hardest part is deciding which to get! I have a black on black PM2, and a satin/camo PM2, so which do you think would be best?

And Liquid Cobra, do you have any experience with it? The domino looks great, but I just need to justify the the price...
So why don't you get a camo/black to have something different. I assume you like you paramilitaries? Careful, a lot of folks end up liking their military more than their pm2. ;) For me I love both and my "favorite" varies from week to week.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

xceptnl wrote:
MattM68 wrote:I'm sure there's a lot of these out there, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on what my next knife should be. And I'm sure you guys like these type of threads anyways. ;) So I'm trying to decide between the Domino(Blue CF or blue G10), the Military, Street Beat, and the Manix 2. I just want to hear people's opinions on which would be best. I just want another knife to carry, and to add to the collection. Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. :)

Thanks everyone,

Matt
I have suggestions for days Matt, but I prefer more input on what you have, like, need, and how you use your knives before I share wisdom ;)

I have a Tenacious, Delica 4, and two PM2s. And I work in construction and landscaping, so it's hard to tell what the knife will be used for. It could be anything from cutting packages, to cutting roots, carpet, wood, or anything else along those lines. I need to use the knife pretty hard at times. I'll usually use my Tenacious for hard use, so I'm not sure if a new knife would change that. My other knives are treated a lot better, and aren't put under a lot of stress. Thanks though, and let me know what you think :)
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

If you don't have a Spyderco fixed blade, go for the street beat. Such a classy little knife. Carries really well for a fixed blade and the fit and finish(at least on mine) is phenomenal. Spyderco's fixed blades don't get enough attention in my opinion.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Surfingringo wrote:
MattM68 wrote:Thanks everyone :) Surfingringo, I really like the Military a lot, but the hardest part is deciding which to get! I have a black on black PM2, and a satin/camo PM2, so which do you think would be best?

So why don't you get a camo/black to have something different. I assume you like you paramilitaries? Careful, a lot of folks end up liking their military more than their pm2. ;) For me I love both and my "favorite" varies from week to week.
We'll see what I like better ;) I know I'll get the Military one day, but I'm not sure what my next knife will be. So many great choices, and all the suggestions here are making my decision even harder!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, wait a minute!! I just read your last post and I feel like I need to change my answer to a knife you don't even have listed. Can anybody guess what I'm about to say?? Wait for it, wait for it....
Pacific Salt is what you really need my friend. Serrated edge Pacific Salt. Tough as nails, amazing edge retention, lightweight, tough steel and 100% corrosion proof. Buy it now, thank me later. ;) I love my Millie's and pm2s but when it's time to actually get dirty and do some work I always grab my pacific salt!
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, wait a minute!! I just read your last post and I feel like I need to change my answer to a knife you don't even have listed. Can anybody guess what I'm about to say?? Wait for it, wait for it....
Pacific Salt is what you really need my friend. Serrated edge Pacific Salt. Tough as nails, amazing edge retention, lightweight, tough steel and 100% corrosion proof. Buy it now, thank me later. ;) I love my Millie's and pm2s but when it's time to actually get dirty and do some work I always grab my pacific salt!
I figured you'd say that! I think if I get a Pacific Salt I'll get that and a Military. :) The price would still be less than the G10 Domino! So far, that sounds like the best idea.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I really, really like the Military and have two, but the truth for me is that most of the time I tend to carry smaller knives. Size and weight kept me away from the regular Manix at first, and the lightweight didn't grab me. (Held them side by side at a store.) That said, I did pick up the current Cruwear sprint and I like it a LOT more than I thought I would. It's big but not too big. Hefty, but also light with the skeletonized liners. Very nice leaf shaped blade, smoth action, ambi, and all blinged out with diamond-cut gray g10 and gratuitous amounts of jimping!

This is kind of random, but something unexpected that I really like about the Manix is that when closed the pivot end of the handle is pretty flat/square, so for deep pocket carry it tends to stay upright, which is a big plus to me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MattM68 wrote:
I figured you'd say that! I think if I get a Pacific Salt I'll get that and a Military. :) The price would still be less than the G10 Domino! So far, that sounds like the best idea.
My work here is done! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yes I have the blue domino. It fits my hand like a glove. I feel like it is a more refined slimmer version of the manix. After hearing about what your needs are I feel like the manix 2 in cruwear would be the best choice for you. But yeah, the Military is pretty great too. Tough choice.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Surfingringo wrote:
MattM68 wrote:
My work here is done! :D
It definitely sounds like a good combination of knives :D I'll let you know what I end up getting! I should be getting paid soon, so I might have a couple new knives as well!