Did I miss the boat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

Did I miss the boat?

Post by iyn »

Why did the para 2 jump in price or are harder to find. When the Yojimbo 2 came out they were hard to come by, The para military 2 were easier to find and cheaper. Now it's the other way around. What happend?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As I recall, the Para 2 has never been particularly easy to find, as demand has outstripped supply since day 1. Since they tend to make knives in batches, what you are probably seeing is a large batch of one (the Para 2 for instance) becomes available, but then as it runs out a batch of the other knife (the Yojimbo 2) makes it through production and becomes available, but as that one starts running out another batch of the first knife (the Para 2 again) makes it through production, and so on and so forth. When a particular model sells out at the dealers who offer bigger discounts, typically the only people left with them in stock are those that are priced high, making the knives seem more expensive than they should be.

Either way, you haven't missed the boat. Spyderco is constantly producing both models and should continue to produce them for the foreseeable future. Eventually they should fill the backlog of demand and then both should become easily available. And when they are easily available from many dealers, you should be able to find one towards the cheaper end of the pricing spectrum.

But the waiting part tends to be so hard... :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

If you don't want to wait for a good price you should look in the exchange section on bladeforums. Just about every day one sells for around $100.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't notice "jump" in price. If you compare price now and few years ago at the same dealer it is probably $10 more than originally. If you need one, place pre-order at any reputable dealer and you will have, when next batch will be released. Simple like this.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Just keep shopping around...

If you want one in a specific color combination, you're either going to have to pay a lot or wait a long time. If you're more flexible, you can get one sooner, and probably pay less.

Meanwhile, here's some eye candy. ;)

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

bh49 wrote:I didn't notice "jump" in price. If you compare price now and few years ago at the same dealer it is probably $10 more than originally. If you need one, place pre-order at any reputable dealer and you will have, when next batch will be released. Simple like this.
This is sound advise.

More eye candy. Green Para2's.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Regular production knife so no boat was missed. I would also recommend watching bladeforums. It's pretty easy to find one there
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure on price but I wasn't aware of an increase in MSRP. If so, it's been a mild increase to keep up costs to manufacturer. On a different note, from retailers to profiteers the price on the open market can easily go through the roof.