Native 5 with carbon fiber and S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Mine has landed.I wish everyone the best of luck hunting one or two down.I pre-ordered back in April 2013.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Just got mine from KW!

I feel like a walking McDonalds add: I'm lovin' it!

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Did you make-up your mind?
My second arrived today. It is almost flawless. The edge on one side is wider :eek: about .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001" I noticed right away :D :D
;) :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to cancel the MIA pre-order. :o The last month or two has been pretty knife-intensive, and I have the green Forum Native 5. :spyder:
black

Post by black »

Niles wrote:Gee whiz. Now I get why people are balking at the CS price.
Somebody could please tell how much it was? thanks
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

black wrote:Somebody could please tell how much it was? thanks
$224 looks like that's the highest beside bbs
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

On closer inspection, I found some flaws. I am just wondering if anyone else has these same problems:

0.02 inch gap between the end of the backlock and the beginning of the backspacer (My other backlocks have no gap here)

The CF scales do not quite come to the end of the liner on the pivot end of the handle--about 0.015 inch, which doesn't sound like much, but it is very noticeable when looking at the knife

The edge came very dull--I mean very dull.

Pictures:

But other than that, it seems pretty nice. The CF is odd--more like G10. Here is a quick comparison shot.

Top to bottom: Native 5 (peel ply CF), T-Mag (coarse CF), Dodo (polished CF), Sage 1 (woven CF)

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine has a very small gap at the back of the lockbar too, but that seems to be normal. All my other Native 5s are just like it too.
The biggest problem with mine is the lockbar isn't quite smooth, kind of wavy, and the jimping cut into the end of the lockbar is a bit rough. But these are very minor issues, and mine came incredibly sharp!
:bug-red-white
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

gbelleh wrote:Mine has a very small gap at the back of the lockbar too, but that seems to be normal. All my other Native 5s are just like it too.
The biggest problem with mine is the lockbar isn't quite smooth, kind of wavy, and the jimping cut into the end of the lockbar is a bit rough. But these are very minor issues, and mine came incredibly sharp!
If that's normal for the N5, that's fine. Thanks for letting me know! I just wanted to make sure that mine wasn't flawed. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

gbelleh wrote:Mine has a very small gap at the back of the lockbar too, but that seems to be normal. All my other Native 5s are just like it too.
I never paid attention to this. Most likely it is normal. My Calys and Kopas also have this gap.
gbelleh wrote: The biggest problem with mine is the lockbar isn't quite smooth, kind of wavy, and the jimping cut into the end of the lockbar is a bit rough.
Sorry to hear about this. Did you ask the dealer, if he can exchange?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:On closer inspection, I found some flaws. I am just wondering if anyone else has these same problems:
0.02 inch gap between the end of the backlock and the beginning of the backspacer (My other backlocks have no gap here)
The CF scales do not quite come to the end of the liner on the pivot end of the handle--about 0.015 inch, which doesn't sound like much, but it is very noticeable when looking at the knife
Everybody is different, but I wouldn't consider any of this "a problem". Very dull edge is a disappointment. If you are planning to use, that sharpmaker will fix it. If not, send the knife to Spyderco and they will put a factory edge, probably even will not cash your check, just explain that the knife is brand new and came dull. The same happened with one of my Orange Dodos.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

bh49 wrote:Everybody is different, but I wouldn't consider any of this "a problem". Very dull edge is a disappointment. If you are planning to use, that sharpmaker will fix it. If not, send the knife to Spyderco and they will put a factory edge, probably even will not cash your check, just explain that the knife is brand new and came dull. The same happened with one of my Orange Dodos.
I've already taken it from "very dull" to "nice and sharp." She's a user. The "shrunk" scales were the biggest surprise, but I can live with it.

Thanks for your input!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The rough jimping and finish on the lockbar aren't really worth worrying about to me. I only mentioned it because GoldenSpydie was asking about possible problems.
Overall, it's very nice.
:bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I've already taken it from "very dull" to "nice and sharp."
this is a great to hear.
GoldenSpydie wrote:The "shrunk" scales were the biggest surprise, but I can live with it.
Just wait, most likely after 45 you will not be able to see .015" :)
But if this is bothering you, may be you should contact Spyderco CS, possibly they can fix it.

Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

bh49 wrote:Look on the bright side: somebody will be thankful.
Yes, that is true.

If I did not already have a Forum N5, I would have purchased two. Also, if I wasnt broke right now I would have purchased two hehe.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

GoldenSpydie wrote:On closer inspection, I found some flaws. I am just wondering if anyone else has these same problems:

But other than that, it seems pretty nice. The CF is odd--more like G10. Here is a quick comparison shot.
Mine has the lockbar gap. Haven't checked my other Native 5s.

No coverage issue on my scales vs. the liners.

Mine came very sharp.

I would say that the peel-ply is normal, not odd. I think some of the CF coming from overseas is odd...maybe it's just YMMV. ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Just wait, most likely after 45 you will not be able to see .015" :)
Roman, you are bumming me out. ;) You need a better eye doc??? :D ;)

- John
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

GoldenSpydie wrote: Image

Top to bottom: Native 5 (peel ply CF), T-Mag (coarse CF), Dodo (polished CF), Sage 1 (woven CF)

Great collection of carbon fiber! Thanks for posting this shot. Which you you say you prefer? For me it's peel ply all day long. Waiting on that CF Yojimbo!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JNewell wrote:Mine has the lockbar gap. Haven't checked my other Native 5s.

No coverage issue on my scales vs. the liners.

Mine came very sharp.

I would say that the peel-ply is normal, not odd. I think some of the CF coming from overseas is odd...maybe it's just YMMV. ;)
Thanks for your input! I guess I just meant "odd" in the sense that it is unlike any CF that I have seen before.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Great collection of carbon fiber! Thanks for posting this shot. Which you you say you prefer? For me it's peel ply all day long. Waiting on that CF Yojimbo!
I suppose that I would prefer the woven CF on the Sage 1 if I could only have one. But they each have their virtues--peel-ply is very grippy, the polished is stunning, and the matte T-Mag is very classy.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote:Roman, you are bumming me out. ;) You need a better eye doc??? :D ;)
- John
Sorry,
I passed 45 long time ago. I have a very good eye doctor, still even with glasses my eyes is not what they used to be 20 years ago without any glasses, especially my left eye. Just had an exam couple week ago :( For several years I had a job, which put a lot of stress on my eyes.
Still I am not complaining. My vision is quite good to compare with some other people.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I know what you mean. I have an eye doc who I think was apprenticed to Merlin but still... :(