Manix 2 Cruwear w/diamond cut gray G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

As some one who is just now being exposed to cruwear for the first time, any recommended tips for maintenance?
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

adancingmonkey wrote:As some one who is just now being exposed to cruwear for the first time, any recommended tips for maintenance?
This is my first Cruwear knife, too. :)

I haven't had any real concerns with it, and it has become one of my favorite steels. I experienced a tiny bit of rust when left wet, but it came off easily. Just wipe it dry after every use, and you should be fine. As for sharpening, I just touch it up every week or so. I like to keep a fairly toothy "utility" edge on it, so I finish on the flats of the brown stones.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I got mine, paid $145.00 from my local dealer. This will make my 9 th Manix.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

adancingmonkey wrote:As some one who is just now being exposed to cruwear for the first time, any recommended tips for maintenance?
It is dry here in CO but I have had no rusting or even staining at all with my Cruwear Military and it has seen a lot of use doing food prep. I keep it clean and dry and all is good for me out here.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

Available at KW right now. Hurry up.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Dabblerinred wrote:Available at KW right now. Hurry up.
Wow.....and already gone! I was thinking of getting a second.....guess that won't be happening.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

But I did notice the S110V Manix 2 LtWt up for pre-order when on their site
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Can someone with a scale tell me the weight of the Cruwrear Manix 2 in ounces? Thanks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

120g or 4.23 oz. on my scale
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thank you, Darb. :) It's lighter than I thought. Does it feel a lot lighter than the unskeletonized hollow ground one?
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Jazz wrote:Thank you, Darb. :) It's lighter than I thought. Does it feel a lot lighter than the unskeletonized hollow ground one?
I don't have the unskeletonized G10 Manix, so I can't compare them. But it feels very good in hand--IMO, the Manix lw is too light and the balance is way off. But the Cruwear version is "just right," at least for me.

I did a review of the M2 Cruwear, including many dimensions--you can find the link in my signature.

bearfacedkiller

I don't have a hollow ground model either. Maybe someone else will chime in.
-Darby
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I don't have a hollow ground model either. Maybe someone else will chime in.
These are official Spyderco weights:

Lightweight FRN S110V Manix 2: 2.9 oz
Lightweight FRCP CTS-BD1 Manix 2: 3.0 oz
Grey G10 CPM Cruwear Manix 2(skeletonized liners): 4.3 oz
Black G10 CPM S30V FFG Manix 2 (2nd gen, full liners): 5.0 oz
Black G10 CPM S30V Hollow Grind Manix 2 (1st gen, full liners): 5.2 oz

Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Thanks for the weights.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is dry here in CO but I have had no rusting or even staining at all with my Cruwear Military and it has seen a lot of use doing food prep. I keep it clean and dry and all is good for me out here.

beautiful just beautiful!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just got mine in today. Absolutely perfect. Will be a great match with my military.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I hope I like it or you enablers are gonna git it. :D By the way http://www.warriorsandwonders.com has 5 left for $175.00 each. I didn't want to tell anyone until I decided. Go get 'em. I'll let you know what I think of mine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Re: Manix 2 Cruwear w/diamond cut gray G-10

Post by Jazz »

Well, I've been using it for a bit, and what a great knife. I never liked the Manix in it's heavy form. I'm glad I got this one. The scales are gorgeous. For some reason, grey is my new favorite handle color - I love the Super Blue handle color, too. Very nice balance on this knife. I'm not even going to mod it. I thought I was going to swedge it right away, but love how it looks like it is. Who knows what the future will bring? If I ever get down to the river, I'll take some pics. Can't wait to get a 110V Lightweight now!
- best wishes, Jazz.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

The grey is for me the biggest drawback. I've got other irons in the fire right now that demand my time but when I get a chance I will be dyeing mine so it doesn't get dirty and grimy so easily. I haven't rit dyed anything yet though so I'll have to experiment on my Superblue Stretch and D'Fly to see what colours I get on those knives first. I think that I'll shoot for a blue similar to the LtWt Manix for the Stretch and then a maroon/wine colour for the D'Fly. Then whatever colour I like best I'll try out on the CruWear Manix.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm sure it'll get dirty quick, but from what I've seen, I like how they get to looking. Good luck with the dyeing.
- best wishes, Jazz.