Favorite Military Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite rendition of the C36 Military in terms of the steel?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 pm

ATS-34
1%
CPM 440V
6%
S30V
15%
BG-42
6%
CPM-D2
2%
CPM-S90V
18%
CPM-M4
11%
CTS-XHP
No votes
M390
22%
Cru-Wear
18%

Total votes: 82

paladin

Favorite Military Steel

Post by paladin »

Simple question:

What's your favorite rendition of the C36 Military especially in terms of the steel it was offered in? Handle material / color is of secondary consideration for purposes of this poll.

They're all great...but M390 is my favorite, by a fair margin. And it seems particularly well suited for the Military platform.

s30v is dandy...but dang, m-frickin-390*! *mindlessly assumes a 1000 yd. stare :eek:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

S30V is my fav because it is the only left handed version I know of. What choice do I have.
Mike
Invective

Post by Invective »

I went with 440V because that one also came in full SE and a Full SE 440V Millie is one heckuva knife :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Invective wrote:I went with 440V because that one also came in full SE and a Full SE 440V Millie is one heckuva knife :D
Thought I agree with this ^^^ for the full SE, I voted BG-42
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the time has come for a 3V Millie sprint. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

CPM-440V for me. My very first Millie had this steel and it was basically love at first sight. :) Mine was also the CE version.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Cru wear for me
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I can't choose. I like 'em all.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cruwear is the only military I own. It got my vote.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cruwear for me but it really is tough. There isn't a steel there I don't like. Several would make my top 5.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Just scored a full-SE 440V Millie, so what other option do I have? :)
nccole

Post by nccole »

I voted CRUWEAR as that is my only Mili, but am kind of surprised that it is the leader. Seems I am not the only one who sees the benefits of a "tougher" steel on a large knife as M4 is #2 also. Or, could it be that it is the most recent?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't vote. I never carried and used Military. And I also surprised to see Cruwear as a leader.
Another steel surprise for me that M390 is not getting sufficient recognition among Spyderco crowd. May be this is due to fairly rare use of this steel by maker. But this steel was used at least as much as Cruwear.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

+1
mikeh99 wrote:S30V is my fav because it is the only left handed version I know of. What choice do I have.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
paladin

Post by paladin »

bh49 wrote:I didn't vote. I never carried and used Military. And I also surprised to see Cruwear as a leader.
Another steel surprise for me that M390 is not getting sufficient recognition among Spyderco crowd. May be this is due to fairly rare use of this steel by maker. But this steel was used at least as much as Cruwear.
I think you might have something there...

Only way to remedy the "problem" that I can see is to convince Sal to commit to a LARGE sprint run of M390 Millies...

C'mon Sal do it in the name of science...we gotta even the odds to get an authentic sampling...ain't that right Cliff?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JD Spydo

440V stilll means a lot to me

Post by JD Spydo »

Invective wrote:I went with 440V because that one also came in full SE and a Full SE 440V Millie is one heckuva knife :D
I certainly can't disagree with "Invective" because I also have a lot of sentimental attachment to my former 440V, full SE Military model. Other than 440V being a monster to sharpen I also found it to be a great steel for fully serrated blades. Because I also have a Golden, CO made Native, full SE and 440V blade steel and I still marvel at how rugged and resilent that knife has been over the past few years.

No there is no way I"ll compare it to S90V or Cruwear but during it's hey-day 440V was a very respectable blade steel and I personally still like it better than S30V. There is something to be said about these old rugged Spyders from that GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS ( 1998 - 2003). I still love all the Spyders I still own from that era and always will.

I am looking forward to new renditions of the Military down the road and I'll certainly get more of them as time goes on. I also think that the XHP Military was a dandy too. I'm hoping for new handle materials for the C-36 Military as well as new super blade steels,.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

TomAiello wrote:I think the time has come for a 3V Millie sprint. :)
Indeed! I'd rather have 3V in G10 than the M390 in carbon fiber, but that was the sprint that was available when I wanted to buy a Military so that's what I have.
I've thought about getting the generic S30V version for daily use but somehow other knives keep being purchased instead.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think I would still prefer cruwear over 3v in the millie...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

S90V until they get around to putting S110V in one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I can't choose. I like 'em all.
Agreed. Not really a bad steel in the mix. For me it comes down to which handle material, but I have a hard time choosing there too, I love the CF, and the Titanium and fluted Titanium ones... but I really like the G10 too :D . Good thing I have multiple pockets.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)