Finally got an Atlantic salt...made some changes.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Atlantic salt...made some changes. (Blade mod with pics)

Post by Surfingringo »

So I finally broke down and got an atlantic salt. Actually I got 2 but one is going to a buddy who is a boat captain in Costa Rica. I was never really into the blade shape but I am a big fan of finger choils so I figured it was worth a shot. My first two impressions were "man, I love the handle on this thing" and "man I hate the blade shape". :) I have nothing bad to say about the blunt tip "rescue" models and I totally get why they exist; they just don't work for me in my most common tasks. So I cranked up the bench grinder this morning and ground it down to my liking then finished it up on a belt sander. I also converted the first 3/8" at the tip to plain edge.

Honestly, I believe these knives would be more functional if they had a bit of pe at the tip like the pacific salt does. I think that would make them more functional regardless of whether you like the stock tip or something more pointy. I often use that bit of pe at the tip when I am cutting bait or other things on a flat surface. I like serrations but I don't always want the very tip to grab and snag. Anyway, on to the photos. Here is my modified Atlantic Salt next to my buddies stock model.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Just so you will know, the Mariner Salt had a half inch of plain edge at the tip. Nice mod. I've done the same kind of thing to a few of my knives.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
sal

Post by sal »

Nice job Lance.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Nice mod you did there!
It does make it a little more versatile ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Very nice Lance. I especially like the forward plain edge!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

Excellent mod, looks great!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks guys! I really like the handle on the atlantic. Haven't used it enough to say for sure but I have a feeling I will even prefer the handle to that of my pacific salt. I will have to see how the wharncliffe style blade shape works for my kayak and fish cleaning but this could be giving my pacific salt a run for its money. I am thinking I might need to go back to the belt sander and bring the spine down just a hair more and make the tip just a bit finer, but I'm going to use it as is for awhile first. You can always take more steel off but it's hard to get it back on. ;)
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Looks great!
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Great job! Love those Wharncliffe Mods.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very nice mod :) !
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

Very Nice - I like it.
Blue Possum
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sweet, nice work again Lance, looks very professional!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hey, nice work there! The PE part totally blends right in and looks stock. Is grinding H1 just like grinding any other hardened steel in that you have to worry about heat, or can you be a little more aggressive? I still don't fully understand the magic behind H1.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

PayneTrain wrote:Hey, nice work there! The PE part totally blends right in and looks stock. Is grinding H1 just like grinding any other hardened steel in that you have to worry about heat, or can you be a little more aggressive? I still don't fully understand the magic behind H1.
That's a good question. It must be a good question because I've asked it before! Hehe. Unfortunately I've never really gotten a clear answer. There's a lot of talk about "work hardening" but I'm not sure if anyone really knows exactly how it works. Maybe magic. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Looks sweet. Functional and clean mods.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great idea, Lance. I like what you've done with the tip--especially the PE portion. Seems very functional and more EDC-friendly.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Every time I see a thread from El Gringo, I click on it first. Sweet mods and I like how you always "make them yours". The catch of the day is going to HATE that knife...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice job, Gringo! :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Looks great!

So when are you going to have a full collection of Salt models?
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Nice work Gringo. I did something similar to my atlantic a while ago, but I went with more of a straight wharncliffe on the spine rather than a blended profile like you did (I think I like yours better) I also struggled with the full serrations at the tip when modding, but I did not flatten out an area of plain edge. I was afraid it would rise up too high, but yours looks great. Nice job all around.

I do agree with you if they would give us a 1/2" or 3/4" of PE at the tip this would be great and make the tip mod much easier. Make sure you post how you like it after some use.