Pygmy Warrior and Sheath

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike Sastre

Pygmy Warrior and Sheath

Post by Mike Sastre »

I've had some of Spyderco's Pygmy Warriors for several weeks now, and I am thoroughly impressed with both the knife and sheath. As delivered, the Pygmy Warrior w/sheath is perfect as a concealable self defense system. I use the term system because both the knife and sheath must interact efficiently with the wearer to respond effectively to a surprise attack. That's basically what self defense is, a response to someone else's actions. For the record: I've been making high quality sheaths for all sorts of emergency situations, with fast access, concealability, and the proper tension/release for the intended purpose as my forte, for at least 25 years; have trained some with James A. Keating, Michael Janich, Kelly Worden, Jerry VanCook, Bill Bagwell, Dwight McLemore, James Loriega, Pete Kautz, and several others; and made the sheaths for the original REKAT Pygmy Warrior prototypes, so feel I'm pretty well qualified to comment on the Spyderco version.

REKAT wanted the Pygmy Warrior to be a concealable fixed blade approximately the size of their Pocket Hobbit, which was a folding downsized version of the Hobbit Warrior (see picture). Spyderco has now made a production version of the Pygmy, that IMHO is better than the REKAT prototype, with the addition of the adjustable girth handle slabs. Everybody is different and this lets you tweak the fit and feel of the knife to your hand. The Warriors are all reverse grip fighters, though you could use forward grip if you wanted, but they are intended and maximized for reverse grip. When gripped in the hand, there is an equal amount of blade coming out the bottom with both the Pygmy and Pocket Hobbit, but the Pygmy has 3/4" more edge on the blade and the full tang extends past the handle slabs to give you a "glass breaker"/punyo combination. The back side of the blade has saw teeth, rather than serrations, that aid in trapping or redirecting, plus add a little extra nastiness to any wound channel. The handle has deep finger grooves that lock the knife in your hand whichever grip you use. Everybody knows you should always "cap" the end of the handle when in reverse grip, and you can use either the top edge of the handle slabs or the punyo for this (my hand naturally falls on top of handle slabs).

Kudos, kudos, kudos to Spyderco for the sheath!! The sheath allows for a full combat grip on initial contact, has a no movement, no rattle lock-up, has a fast release with just enough holding tension in case you are involved in a little "rough and tumble" before you can access your tool. I tested four different knife/sheath units, and the all retained the knife when held inverted and given a vigorous shake, provided the knives were full seated in the sheaths. Start the knife into the sheath, then slam it home to fully seat it. I did about 50 high speed draws out of one of the sheaths with no change in tension/release. Self defense, by definition, is reactive in nature. You are responding to a threat. The Syderco G-Clip allows you to carry in a number of ways, including inverted, but just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean you should. The fastest response to a surprise attack is JAK's Drawpoint method, in which, wherever your hand is when the attack occurs, it acquires the handle and puts the point on the nearest target. This is done from a vertical or forward cant of the knife, carried between 9:00 to 3:00 on your waist (OTB or IWB). Everything in life is situational, and the Pygmy allows you the option to respond with point, edge, punyo, or trap and redirect, whatever is called for in that particular situation. Less than lethal is always best when possible, and the Pygmy gives you that option while still being highly effective for self defense, which is what it was designed for.

Excellent job Spyderco, and many thanks for bringing the design to life with the usual Spyderco quality!! I've waited a long, long time for a production version of this knife. Now I have one to carry and another to round out my collection.

[ATTACH]23723[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23724[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23725[/ATTACH]
Attachments
PYGMY_OTB_Gripw.jpg
Just-EnoughLip.jpg
Heritage_w.jpg
markg

Post by markg »

This one is next on my list.

IMHO, this knife feels more like the original Warrior models than the current Spyderco full size version. Now saying that I get why the full size is the way it is, and can enjoy it for what it is... But this one just has the spirit of the original.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Mike:

Thank you very much for your post and the kind words. Your history with Bob, the Warrior, REKAT, and custom Kydex sheaths is extraordinary and I the vast majority of my serious fixed blades ride in your work. Praise from you is high praise indeed.

I'm very glad you feel we hit the mark and did Bob's design proud.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Studey

Post by Studey »

Yeah, but Mike...we still want to see what you
come up with for it! :p
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I'll do one definitely for myself when I have time, Matt, but don't see a real pressing need to make a bunch of them. The factory sheath is good to go. I'll see you at the Indy 1500 Gun & Knife Show this weekend, and will have a Pygmy Warrior with me for you to check out for yourself.
Brother_Grimm

Re: Pygmy Warrior and Sheath

Post by Brother_Grimm »

Hi Mike, I've got a few of my knives in your sheaths but I'm pretty happy with the production sheath. The knife itself feels great in the hand. I like reverse grip for speed in getting the blade into play and this knife is perfect for that. Great system like Mike said, I'll be getting a second one.