Do old style Spyderco knives ever come back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
opusxpn

Do old style Spyderco knives ever come back?

Post by opusxpn »

Do any of you ever see an old model Spyderco, like the Jester, Meerkat, Salsa, Catcherman, etc. ever come back, I don't think I have seen any. Spyderco is improving their products every day. So I don't think we will ever see old ones come back maybe a newer improved version but that would be it. Or am I wrong?
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

The worker is back so yes
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

yes but that is a special knife that launched spyderco to what it is right now, I am talking about much more common production models.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

They do infact come back as sprint runs. In different colors,handles, and steels!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

They do sprints of old models when enough of us cry out for them. They did the G10 Jester sprint run after the Jester was discontinued...they've revived the Worker as a sprint, and the Lava just to name a couple.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

And a modified version of the Starmate even came back as a regular production item.
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, they do come back... Mostly in the form of Sprints and/or special runs, though. It's interesting to note that these new, "reincarnated" models usually feature a few upgrades from the original models too (e.g. higher grade steel, better locking mechanisms, handle materials, etc.).

Having said that, I'm still a big 'ol fan of the old school Spyders from about 10+ years ago. That's the good stuff right there. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

opusxpn wrote:Do any of you ever see an old model Spyderco, like the Jester, Meerkat, Salsa, Catcherman, etc. ever come back, I don't think I have seen any. Spyderco is improving their products every day. So I don't think we will ever see old ones come back maybe a newer improved version but that would be it. Or am I wrong?
The Jester came back and there are plans for another sprint (i think), the Meerkat got a sprint, the Salsa is getting a sprint. Not sure about the Catcherman.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
mattman

Post by mattman »

The Stretch has a long history... Two or three models evolved, I think... Hunter and Provenater, I believe are "early Stretches"... Fwiw...

E.T.A.: There's been two sprints of the meerkat...
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Even the ATR is coming back as a sprint (Which is causing anticipation the like of which I'm at odds trying to describe), and I do seem to remember reading in a thread that the Salsa may make a comeback with or without the cobra hood (I'm hoping it will remain).

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes, that's what Sprint Runs are.

As others have said, the Meerkat has been back twice, the Dodo has been back twice, the Worker is back, the Starmate was brought back, the Jester has been back and is planned again for 2015, etc., etc.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Even the ATR is coming back as a sprint (Which is causing anticipation the like of which I'm at odds trying to describe), and I do seem to remember reading in a thread that the Salsa may make a comeback with or without the cobra hood (I'm hoping it will remain).
and here I was thinking an ATR sprint would kick ***... :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Even the ATR is coming back as a sprint (Which is causing anticipation the like of which I'm at odds trying to describe), and I do seem to remember reading in a thread that the Salsa may make a comeback with or without the cobra hood (I'm hoping it will remain).
Yeah, I'm "kinda" excited about the ATR sprint. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm as excited as I could be...I want an ATR sprint more than any other model, and just about jumped out of my socks when we got confirmation that there would indeed be a sprint. I do hope they retain the cobra hood...it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I don't think it would be the same without it. I recently found a Titanium Salsa, and couldn't imagine it without a cobra hood...it just works ergonomically with the handle shape/thickness.

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like cobra hoods too. I'm also looking forward to the ATR sprint. I managed to get an all black original ATR a couple years ago, and I enjoy it very much.
:bug-red-white
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

And let's not forget we talked Sal into bringing back the SpyderHawk with the original tooling but H-1 steel. I believe the Salt version stayed around longer than the original.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:And let's not forget we talked Sal into bringing back the SpyderHawk with the original tooling but H-1 steel. I believe the Salt version stayed around longer than the original.
Yeah that was great!! We have our good Brother Clovisc to thank for that one. Haven't heard from him lately either I hope he is doing well. Also the reincarnation of the Spyderhawk in H-1 steel sold much better than the original VG-10 model from back in 2003. I just hope we can get another G-10 Harpy back in production again. And we have a lot of people sabre rattling over that one.

I think what this Brother is wondering is if older models are coming back exactly the same as when they were discontinued>> I'm pretty sure that's what he is asking us. But to me that would just be stupid in most cases because if the model was a good one then why wouldn't you use a better steel and handle material. That's why I personally like most Sprint runs because they are usually an improvement over the old/original model.

Interesting subject to discuss but I want to see knives evolve into something better than the original myself.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The phœnix will be returning.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cheddarnut wrote:The phœnix will be returning.
Pardon?

@liquid_cobra
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.