I am really lazy!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

I am really lazy!

Post by adancingmonkey »

can i put my sharpmaker rods in the dishwasher to clean them?
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ooh good question, I look forward to hearing the answers
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

It shouldn't hurt them, I think that using Barkeepers friend and a nylon scrub pad would do a better job though.

Bruceter
paladin

Post by paladin »

I like to clean my with Barkeep's Friend & scotchbrite pad...Comet will do a fine job also...

After scour clean then off to the dishwasher to clean off residue.... this routine seems to work for me very well...

so...yup dishwasher safe...just keep a good space between each of them individually and anything else...especially each other...otherwise they will chip things (or each other) when they get jostled around by the water jets...
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I don't think the dishwasher will be very effective. I end up with Sharpie ink, and occasionally blade coatings, on my stones that needs scrubbing and solvent, like what Paladin mentioned.

Paladin, or anyone else who may know, is there a way to smooth the stones if they have small chips? The corners of my brown stones have some damage. I can't see it but I feel it when sharpening.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
juggler

Post by juggler »

I tried it (I guess I'm just as lazy as you are).

It kind of works but it's not as effective as a good scrubbing, particularly with the medium rods (the brown ones). And with the ultra-fine rods, the red tip starts to fade away after one cycle and would probably disappear in the long run.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Not effective I use regular comet cleaner and those dishwashing scotch brite and that takes care of my stones but need to scrub. Or apply some honing oil with your finger tip when sharpening when done rinse off with hot water after use they will last clean longer.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

This was actually the first attempt to cleaning mine :p
In the end, cleaning them with something as simple as detergent and a sponge works better....
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
paladin

Post by paladin »

Buendia518 wrote:I don't think the dishwasher will be very effective. I end up with Sharpie ink, and occasionally blade coatings, on my stones that needs scrubbing and solvent, like what Paladin mentioned.

Paladin, or anyone else who may know, is there a way to smooth the stones if they have small chips? The corners of my brown stones have some damage. I can't see it but I feel it when sharpening.
Duke, I don't know of an effective way of smoothing chips in the ceramic hones themselves (tough stuff!)...but FWIW, I haven't found that the small chips that kind of slightly "hang" your blade a LITTLE bit hurt sharpening effect much, if any, at all.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Yes you can. No it doesn't work very well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Magic Eraser, and if that's not enough use some Dawn and/or a Scotchbrite.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Well thanks for everyone for the input. I sort of figured that it wouldn't be abrasive enough to remove the trapped steel. I would also be interested in hearing how to smooth the brown stones. One of the corners came with a chip in it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It doesn't work very well. I use comet and a little elbow grease. Not too hard.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

I usually just use Comet, Ajax or similar powdered cleaner, or toothpaste, with an old toothbrush and warmish water.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Yeah i usually use baking soda and a scrubber of some kind. I did not have much problem before but ive moved and now have a dishwasher so i was hoping that it could be put to use.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

paladin wrote:Duke, I don't know of an effective way of smoothing chips in the ceramic hones themselves (tough stuff!)...but FWIW, I haven't found that the small chips that kind of slightly "hang" your blade a LITTLE bit hurt sharpening effect much, if any, at all.
Alright, thanks for responding. I've always tried to avoid those spots but I don't really notice any negative effect either.
I think I read or heard that the fine stones can smooth the medium stones. I'll try to look it up.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Barkeeper's Friend is the way to go. It has oxalic acid in it, which acts as a chelating agent to remove the metal embedded in the ceramic. It is gentle enough to not irritate your hands (assuming you don't leave the BF on your hands for several hours...). There is simply nothing better for the job. I apply it as a thick paste using an old toothbrush.

TedP
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:Barkeeper's Friend is the way to go. It has oxalic acid in it, which acts as a chelating agent to remove the metal embedded in the ceramic. It is gentle enough to not irritate your hands (assuming you don't leave the BF on your hands for several hours...). There is simply nothing better for the job. I apply it as a thick paste using an old toothbrush.

TedP
BKF is the way to go as others have said and it is available in a liquid / gel formula (soft cleanser) too that you can put right on the stone. Works terrific and wipes right off, then rinse.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:Barkeeper's Friend is the way to go.
TedP
+1
I tried several things: Comet, Ajax, Magic eraser and barkeeper friend. In my personal experience nothing comes close to Barkeepers Friend. I use it exclusively for more than a year and very happy with results.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian