Endura vs Pacific Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeh99

Endura vs Pacific Salt

Post by mikeh99 »

This question has probably been beaten to death but a search did not help.
I want an orange Endura or Pacific Salt (Rit Sunshine Orange). I do not often experience salt water.
Which would you recommend? And why?
I have a yellow Salt 1 which I really like already.
Thanks for your input.
Mike
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For me, I'd choose the Endura, I'm not a big fan of the older Volcano grip texture used on the Salts. Bidirectional FRN all the way!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Salt1 and Pacific Salt ARE the old Endura and Delica...the new ones would be a pain to clean because they have nested liners that would trap moisture, blood, and fish guts (If you're Lance haha). You want as simple and maintenance free as possible with a knife of this style, which also lends itself more to the existing one piece FRN of the Salt lineup. I would support a switch to bi-directional texturing on the existing Salt models to match the Dragonfly, but they're all more likely to be used in processing fish and other tasks of that ilk, and the volcano grip texture is definitely easier to keep clean.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If you want edgeholding, get a SE Salt or a PE Endura. For slicing work I prefer the FFG of the FFG Endura over the hollow grind on the Salts. As noted above, the Salts are easier to clean with linerless FRN and the volcano grip texture.
araneae

Post by araneae »

If getting it really dirty or wet is a concern, go salt. If not get the Endura.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Salt is also lighter, but has a more resilient grind and tip. So gotta weigh out which of these traits is desirable.

Personally I love the ffg blade with that thin tip, and I have no need of rust resistance. But I also prefer the liner less lightweight construction of the salt.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I'll just go ahead and be the first to say it......BOTH :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey mike, if you are going plain edge then the vg10 endura will have better edge retention than the salt. Outside of that, the salt wins in every category for me. I used to think having steel liners was important but I have come to prefer the linerless design of the salts. They are lighter weight and plenty tough. I also find them to have tighter lockups with smoother action. So in plain edge I can see the argument for the endura but I would still probably go with the salt. In serrated edge it's not even a contest. Salt all the way.
juggler

Post by juggler »

You can't go wrong with any of these, but I find the Endura a little bit more versatile and comfortable : even though the knives are very similar, I like the handling of the Endura better (different handle shape and less steep thumb ramp). I would also miss the pointed tip of the Endura. YMMV of course, as handling is always subjective.

The Pacific Salt obviously has a better corrosion resistance, but VG-10 is more than good enough in normal use and you already have the Salt 1 if you go around salt water. And you can have an orange Endura without having to dye the knife...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PE=Endura, SE=Pacific.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Listen to Surfgringo and get a Pacific Salt SE.My advice: get two(just in case...)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Both excellent choices. If you want something different, get an Endura. Even in FFG it's not too thin at all. The saber is nice and tough. I have both, and a Pacific, and recommend any of them. I always carry an Endura in my back pocket - Pacific if it's raining or if I'm in the mood.

I find pictures help me decide. :) Don't laugh at the blue Crocs - only color they had.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Bill1170 wrote:If you want edgeholding, get a SE Salt or a PE Endura. For slicing work I prefer the FFG of the FFG Endura over the hollow grind on the Salts. As noted above, the Salts are easier to clean with linerless FRN and the volcano grip texture.
This about sums up what I was gonna type
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bill1170 wrote:If you want edgeholding, get a SE Salt or a PE Endura. For slicing work I prefer the FFG of the FFG Endura over the hollow grind on the Salts. As noted above, the Salts are easier to clean with linerless FRN and the volcano grip texture.
Yep this is probably the most concise and informative answer. They are both great. Identify your priorities and let that make your decision.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I regret getting a PE Pacific Salt, now that I'm persuaded a Spyderedge is slower to dull than a PE in H1. I may upgrade at some point, just to say I have H1 in its best form-factor. That said, the PE ain't too shabby.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Thanks guys. Good info. And I am looking at the PE so Endura it is.
Mike
Bladester

Post by Bladester »

Endura has the 4-way clip, whereas Salt is tip-up only.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Not a h1 fan, vg10 is the way to go. I have a lady bug in h1 and it's sharp for a minute then full the next.
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well they are way different as far as maintenance, construction, steel properties. Now it depends on the environment you will use it and how careful you are with it. I prefer the VG10 for its sharpening, rust resistance and durability. The Endura is my favorite knife design, now I got several salt1, dragonfly and pacific salt H1. These are mostly used around water, I got a salt 1 black handle I use for work a lot, during working hours I sweat a lot and I carry my knife with me all the time. Sometimes when I take it out of my pocket is wet with sweat I don't even worry about it, I just rinse it off and dry it no oil or anything. Now I also carry a manbug VG10 and a dragonfly VG10 to work sometimes same sweaty environment I haven't seen any rust spots on them but I do clean them very well and oil them everyday after work so its more cleaning maintenance than the H1. The H1 needs sharpening more often than my endura talking plain edge here. Now serrated its a different story H1 is awesome with spyderedge, so most my salties are serrated. I just think you should get both if you buy one you will actually buy the other one later on, believe me I got over 30 spydies.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Jazz wrote:....... Don't laugh at the blue Crocs - only color they had.
Hmmmn, those blue Crocs look awfully close to the same colour as your Endura :rolleyes: I would have to say that it appears that you potentially may have purchased the blue Crocs on purpose just so that you could accessorize and colour co-ordinate your footwear with one of your Spyderco's.

But as the great Seinfeld once said....."Not that there is anything wrong with that" :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D