Thread for random Spyderco thoughts, ideas, stories or questions you're afraid to ask

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:Random thought/request:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Spyderco-themed promotional items, such as coffee mugs, pens, key fobs, shot glasses, umbrellas, T-shirts, hoodies, mouse pads, baseball caps, scarves, flags/banners, etc., etc., etc.?
I will be in for coffee mug (s)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have seen a blue mug with golden (!) spiders all over it, in images a few years ago when Dr Grace Horne visited Spyderco...
It would be real nice to see something similar appear again...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd definitely be interested in a black coffee mug with a simple red logo.
:bug-red-white
FDE

Post by FDE »

I'd buy a couple coffee mugs and 2 dozen black oxide deep carry pocket clips.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would prefer a travel coffee mug as opposed to an actual ceramic one. Black with a red logo would be great.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

If something is satisfying, is one not sated? Is the accumulation of knives due to an actual dissatisfaction with them? I use my guitar way more than i use my knives, and get immense satisfaction from playing it, yet i do not collect guitars, as it is the playing i enjoy, and am not obsessed with the tool. Is it by virtue of the fact that we never really connect in a meaningful way with a piece of steel, though getting a momentary rush of dopamine from the act of acquisition that keeps us slaves to the cycle? I find myself on here when im not interested in knives at all, but watching other addicts getting their fix excites me back into the loop, and the next thing i find myself ordering again. I would probably have one or two knives if it wasnt for this forum.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Are serrations dying in Spydieland? Are serrated sprints already dead?
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

SpyderNut wrote:Random thought/request:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Spyderco-themed promotional items, such as coffee mugs, pens, key fobs, shot glasses, umbrellas, T-shirts, hoodies, mouse pads, baseball caps, scarves, flags/banners, etc., etc., etc.?
Agreed...but banner first please :)
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Cheddarnut wrote:If something is satisfying, is one not sated? Is the accumulation of knives due to an actual dissatisfaction with them? I use my guitar way more than i use my knives, and get immense satisfaction from playing it, yet i do not collect guitars, as it is the playing i enjoy, and am not obsessed with the tool. Is it by virtue of the fact that we never really connect in a meaningful way with a piece of steel, though getting a momentary rush of dopamine from the act of acquisition that keeps us slaves to the cycle? I find myself on here when im not interested in knives at all, but watching other addicts getting their fix excites me back into the loop, and the next thing i find myself ordering again. I would probably have one or two knives if it wasnt for this forum.

Definitely an interesting thought there Cheddar. For me I love target shooting, and don't own many guns (well, 5), and absolutely love shooting them yet I don't own the amount that I do knives. One part of this is that a knife in my pocket will get way more use than a gun in the safe. While I may have about 30 spydies, and only one, maybe two on me at any given time, it is still a big difference in how much they get used. There is also the cost and storage of knives versus others hobbies such as guns or guitars. I know absolutely nothing about guitars so I won't even pretend to, but I would guess they are a bit more expensive per unit, and require considerably more space to collect than knives. Guns are very much the same in that regard for me. I also can get the joy of using my knife essentially anywhere for cutting chores, while in the Peoples Republic of California you don't exactly get to use guns all the time. I have to drive about 45 mins to a range, pay to use the range and pay for all my ammo to use my guns. With knives, all I need is a good spydiehole and a quick swing of my thumb and my knife is out and being used anywhere, anytime. I, too, go in waves of being on the forums, but that is mostly because life and its complications pulls me away, not because my interest in knives slumps.
I for one love trying out new designs, whether it be handle materials, sizes, steels, ergonomics, blade shapes and any other aspect of knife design, because in a way I guess I am searching for the absolute perfect knife. Maybe that does mean that it is some strange dissatisfaction with each new knife, but really i think it is just a curiosity in what might be even better that keeps me going. For instance, the Lum Tanto fixed blade with burgundy paper-stone is about as gorgeous and perfect of a knife design as I can imagine, but holy **** am I afraid to use it! I can not imagine sharpening the thing, especially since the guys at the factory set the bar so high right out of the box. I work on my sharpening skills on other knives with hopes of being worthy of the beauty one day. It is this part that makes me think that there might be a more perfect specimen out there.

Ultimately, shooting every once in a while is extremely satisfying and thoroughly enjoyable. While I get a smaller amount of joy out of each knife opening (only relatively), in the end I am still getting essentially the same enjoyment out of each type of tool. I also rotate through my knives so they all get a bit of use, even if it is just occasionally. That keeps the fiance on the Spydie side.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Cheddarnut wrote:If something is satisfying, is one not sated? Is the accumulation of knives due to an actual dissatisfaction with them? I use my guitar way more than i use my knives, and get immense satisfaction from playing it, yet i do not collect guitars, as it is the playing i enjoy, and am not obsessed with the tool. Is it by virtue of the fact that we never really connect in a meaningful way with a piece of steel, though getting a momentary rush of dopamine from the act of acquisition that keeps us slaves to the cycle? I find myself on here when im not interested in knives at all, but watching other addicts getting their fix excites me back into the loop, and the next thing i find myself ordering again. I would probably have one or two hundred less knives if it wasnt for this forum.
Fixed that last sentence for you... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cheddarnut wrote:If something is satisfying, is one not sated? Is the accumulation of knives due to an actual dissatisfaction with them? I use my guitar way more than i use my knives, and get immense satisfaction from playing it, yet i do not collect guitars, as it is the playing i enjoy, and am not obsessed with the tool. Is it by virtue of the fact that we never really connect in a meaningful way with a piece of steel, though getting a momentary rush of dopamine from the act of acquisition that keeps us slaves to the cycle? I find myself on here when im not interested in knives at all, but watching other addicts getting their fix excites me back into the loop, and the next thing i find myself ordering again. I would probably have one or two knives if it wasnt for this forum.
I agree with you on the most.
Many knives were purchased under influence of this Forum. In some of them I had a big doubts, but later they became my favorites like C83 Persian and Dodo. If not this Forum, I would never saw Wouter's pictures of Caly3 from Amsterdam meet in 2006 and would never buy this knife or Caly3.5. So many thanks to Wouter for this. Without this Forum I would never know about Native5. The sad thought. Still without of questions few dozen of knives were purchased under influence or out of curiosity. Recently I sold the most of them. That helped to fix some holes in the budget. My "collection" looks skinnier, but this is less fat. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

v8r

Post by v8r »

I just have a few simple questions.
1. How come we can't get a plain Stainless handle or other Metal handle Native?
2. How come it can't have a swedge similar to the original. To me that is what makes it a Native (spear point blade)?
3. How come we can't Have a Native Chief?
4. How come we can't have us some green G10 on some more knives. I'll admit I am a bit biased here if it were my choice everything would be green because it is my favorite color. I pretty much like any shade of green with Lime green and Forrest green being my favorites. A green Manix 2 would be cool with PFS27...
5. Why the usage of so much black G10 ( yawn). Any other color besides black please. Even baby poop yellow is better than black.
6. How come everyone can't just get along?
7. Why is the sky Blue? ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Where is the tomahawks seriously!
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

How about an Alumina Ceramic coffee mug so I can touch my blade up after a hot cup o' joe?
:spyder:
v8r

Post by v8r »

chuckd wrote:Definitely an interesting thought there Cheddar. For me I love target shooting, and don't own many guns (well, 5), and absolutely love shooting them yet I don't own the amount that I do knives. One part of this is that a knife in my pocket will get way more use than a gun in the safe. While I may have about 30 spydies, and only one, maybe two on me at any given time, it is still a big difference in how much they get used. There is also the cost and storage of knives versus others hobbies such as guns or guitars. I know absolutely nothing about guitars so I won't even pretend to, but I would guess they are a bit more expensive per unit, and require considerably more space to collect than knives. Guns are very much the same in that regard for me. I also can get the joy of using my knife essentially anywhere for cutting chores, while in the Peoples Republic of California you don't exactly get to use guns all the time. I have to drive about 45 mins to a range, pay to use the range and pay for all my ammo to use my guns. With knives, all I need is a good spydiehole and a quick swing of my thumb and my knife is out and being used anywhere, anytime. I, too, go in waves of being on the forums, but that is mostly because life and its complications pulls me away, not because my interest in knives slumps.
I for one love trying out new designs, whether it be handle materials, sizes, steels, ergonomics, blade shapes and any other aspect of knife design, because in a way I guess I am searching for the absolute perfect knife. Maybe that does mean that it is some strange dissatisfaction with each new knife, but really i think it is just a curiosity in what might be even better that keeps me going. For instance, the Lum Tanto fixed blade with burgundy paper-stone is about as gorgeous and perfect of a knife design as I can imagine, but holy **** am I afraid to use it! I can not imagine sharpening the thing, especially since the guys at the factory set the bar so high right out of the box. I work on my sharpening skills on other knives with hopes of being worthy of the beauty one day. It is this part that makes me think that there might be a more perfect specimen out there.

Ultimately, shooting every once in a while is extremely satisfying and thoroughly enjoyable. While I get a smaller amount of joy out of each knife opening (only relatively), in the end I am still getting essentially the same enjoyment out of each type of tool. I also rotate through my knives so they all get a bit of use, even if it is just occasionally. That keeps the fiance on the Spydie side.
Well said. This pretty much describes me perfectly. The only exception is I am a member at my
Range ($50.00 for a year), and it is only 8 miles from my house. I go out there and shoot several days when I am off. I work a 14 day on and 7 day off schedule, so I'm there quite often.
I also prefer knives to guns, although I get more satisfaction from shooting. You just get to enjoy using a knife more, and I have to say it would be way more enjoyable than carrying a 12-13 pound rifle all day. ;) . Not
To mention the stares you would get from carrying a target rifle around in public!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

v8r wrote:Well said. This pretty much describes me perfectly. The only exception is I am a member at my
Range ($50.00 for a year), and it is only 8 miles from my house. I go out there and shoot several days when I am off. I work a 14 day on and 7 day off schedule, so I'm there quite often.
I also prefer knives to guns, although I get more satisfaction from shooting. You just get to enjoy using a knife more, and I have to say it would be way more enjoyable than carrying a 12-13 pound rifle all day. ;) . Not
To mention the stares you would get from carrying a target rifle around in public!
Yup! My target gun is at about 15lbs...she is a heavy girl! I am always sure to bring a pair of good range spydercos too. The Vallatton loves the range!
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Cheddar, this is an interesting thought for sure. I am sure you are correct and that this (or any other) forum can influence the purchase of an item (knives in our case). I see this as a blessing, there are far worse and more self-destructive vises I could be spending my money on. Sure saving it all would be the more responsible approach, but where is the fun in that.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sharktooth wrote:How about an Alumina Ceramic coffee mug so I can touch my blade up after a hot cup o' joe?
I am scared to think what an Alumina Ceramic coffee mug would cost.
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

v8r wrote:I just have a few simple questions.
1. How come we can't get a plain Stainless handle or other Metal handle Native?
Ti Fluted is available. I have it. It is very good. You need one also
v8r wrote: 2. How come it can't have a swedge similar to the original. To me that is what makes it a Native (spear point blade)?
Because I do not like a swedge :)
v8r wrote: 3. How come we can't Have a Native Chief?
It is coming along with Shaman. I am waiting as well. Sal needs to hurry-up :D
v8r wrote: 4. How come we can't have us some green G10 on some more knives. I'll admit I am a bit biased here if it were my choice everything would be green because it is my favorite color.
Absolutely agree. This probably is one of the biggest problem with Spyderco's products.
BTW, did you get Worker? It is beautiful green
v8r wrote: 5. Why the usage of so much black G10 ( yawn). Any other color besides black please. Even baby poop yellow is better than black.
Tradition
v8r wrote: 6. How come everyone can't just get along?
We are humans, consider this tradition as well :rolleyes:
7. Why is the sky Blue? ;) [/QUOTE]
because blue light are shorter than any others.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Roman, you campaign for the Native like JD campaigns for the Hawkbills. ;)

To add to v8r's comments, I love the recent Green G-10 influx yet I still hope to see some Navy blue or Rust red G-10
*Landon*