I just need one more

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I just need one more

Post by Evil D »

Getting to the point lately where the knives that I "need" as opposed to "want" are getting far fewer in numbers. I still "want" a DLC Military, another s110v Manix 2 to regrind (or just regrind this one), and there are a bunch of "I really hope they make this someday" knives, but the last one on my immediate "need" list is the Kiwi 4. After that I'm gonna start focusing my knife money on 1) regrinds, 2) customizing such as trying to make a linerless G10 Manix 2 lightweight, and 3) backups of some of my favs like the Centofante 4 and Rock Lobster. I do plan on modding the Kiwi 4 somehow, probably try to sand and polish the G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I know what you mean! I used to buy every single new Spyderco model, but now I'm getting to be more selective. I have a hard time passing up a new flavor of Para 2 or Military, though.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I hear you. Seems like my yearly "must-have" list begins with something like 23 models, but somehow weans itself down to 5 or 6. But, I guess the heart wants what the heart wants. Heh heh.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I started to feel the same about a year ago. I sold almost half of my knives, keeping only ones, which I really love (at this moment). My annual "want" list went from 20 to 4-5, unless Spyderco will surprise us again.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm on the same boat. I find it much more enjoyable to have less and use those more. I don have a few backups of the ones I really like tho. I find myself buying knives now and selling them right away if they don't live up to expectations
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
timlara

Post by timlara »

The Kiwi 4 is pretty great. I handled one at the SFO and fear of my wife's eternal wrath is the only thing that kept me from walking out with one! (Decided to be good and wait for my birthday...)

I'm not sure if it has the same refinements or not, but the back lock on it feels just like the Native 5's to me, which is a very good thing. Same smooth action and the blade drops on its own when the lock is released, at least on the sample I handled.
Tim
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I only started collecting knives a couple years ago and spydies maybe a year ago so you guys know the kind of torment I've been going through. Every time I turn around they come out with another must have model that everyone seems to be going crazy over so of course I must have one too, the worst part are the ones I have to have two of because they are just so great.
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

farnorthdan wrote:I only started collecting knives a couple years ago and spydies maybe a year ago so you guys know the kind of torment I've been going through. Every time I turn around they come out with another must have model that everyone seems to be going crazy over so of course I must have one too, the worst part are the ones I have to have two of because they are just so great.
While everyone's experience will be different, there are general stages and I've been through yours. I have slowed down, narrowing my collection down to my favorite models and its backups. You may end up buying even more or stopping (collecting) completely later on. As long as we are having fun with the hobby and are happy... Food on the table, bills paid.... I don't see a problem pursuing what we enjoy.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yes. As new as I am, even I am thinking along the same lines. But, as for the DLC Millie, go for it David. You'll be glad ya did.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The feeling is shared here David. I see them and instantly want, need, must try however if I sit and study my collection and most common uses of knives I see what i can live without. The Roc is a great example of that for this year.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since I got interested in Spydies I've managed to get examples of most of my favorite models and material types and am trying to limit new knife purchases now (to very little avail so far :o ) so I can go back and pick up used examples of favorites that I arrived too late to get new (at a reasonable price). So far I've managed to pick up an M4 Manix and a D2 Paramilitary but the D2 Millie is proving to be very elusive. I'm waffling back and forth about looking for old Mules but have a couple on my list as of now... and there's the new Kiwi4, etc, etc... :rolleyes: ... I have only about two Spydies that I would be willing to part with, and one of them is a backup.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I bought a Shirogorov and feel like I just hit a wall.... I dont feel a need for any other knife, just petty little wants that I can easily live without. The only upcoming spydercos I want are the Slysz Bowie, Roc and Gayle Bradley 2, Only current folder from Spyderco that I want is the Air. This shirogorv just does it for me. I'm almost at the stage of having my idea of a perfect collection. (or perfect group of users?)

By the way, I wouldnt mind grinding that Manix... :p

Might I recommend picking up just a cheap hobbyist Belt Grinder? Practice regrinding on a few cheap knives, then attack the manix. Maybe try regrinding a cheap hollow grind knife to a high flat grind.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've got all the knives I need. I'm just buying some of these great deals that keep coming, like the S110V Manix2 LW, a satin INFI Ratmandu, and the black washed ZT560.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

This is a great topic because for a while I felt like I was the only one. Just like the others in this thread, I have scaled my Spyderco purchases back considerably. I went from probably 30-40 knives per year to less than 10 per year. I can't explain why. My preference for Spyderco knives hasn't changed. I like them the same as I always have. My income hasn't changed. My living situation and expenses are the same. Just for whatever reason, I buy less knives and I am now very selective with the knives I do purchase.

If you were to glance at my collection with an experienced eye, you would be able to tell when I slowed down my purchasing, as there are very few new models from the past year or two. Off the top of my head, I think the highest SKU# is the Domino.

Great topic and discussion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Nate

Post by Nate »

I am slowing down now, but when I first "got bit" there were something like 2 dozen models that I really wanted to try out, so I had been averaging about one a month since buying my first :spyder: . My recent Cruwear Manix pickup was unplanned, but the Manix was one I wanted to try out, so I was happy to jump on the sprint.

At some point I'll probably decide to thin out the collection, but there's no rush as I still enjoy the variety and rotation. My uses are typically pretty light, but there are only a few that I haven't used/carried in some capacity yet. I have a blacked out para2 that is the only dedicated backup I've purchased, and a couple of others that I just haven't gotten to yet.

There are definitely more out there that I am interested on some level, but as others have mentioned, I feel myself getting more selective and I have passed some stuff up that I would have been all over 6 months to a year ago.
:spyder:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I do not see myself as a collector, so if I cannot justify a knife based on a gap it can fill I do not buy it. This has led to some very creative justifications, but let's just say that I have most of my bases covered now, and I have also started to scale down in the last year or so. There is still one knife I am waiting for, and thats the Slysz Bowie, but for the most part I'm content.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You have developed mild immunity to the Spyder toxin Evil, don't worry Sal is working on a new formula to reinfect you. I'm thankfully down to one or two "really wants" this year, the Rubicon and PITS folder, of the few cool new ones I'm pretty sure will actually drop this calendar year. Oh, and an FRN Native 5, that goes without saying!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King