Techno Technical Help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Techno Technical Help

Post by Knifewing »

I always disliked the blue backspacer on my Techno--thought that particular shade of blue cheapened a superb knife. Just personal taste...

Anyway, I got a Cuscadi backspacer (kind of a clear jade yellow/green) and swapped it out with the blue one. The Cuscadi fit perfectly and I only had the knife apart for a few minutes with the blade open the whole time. But (and you knew there was going to be one, right?) when I re-assembled the knife and checked it out, the centering was off slightly from pretty near perfect to begin with. The action is still very smooth and the lock-up solid, with the bar about where it was originally. And the knife looks way better IMO. So two questions: What did I do wrong in re-assembing the knife? And is there anything I can do to re-center the blade? And this, my friends, is why I'm not a surgeon or Porsche mechanic...

A side note: My cheap torx tool that I had from Home Depot really sucked (the thinnest bit actually twisted like a licorice stick). So, after doing some Forum research, I got a small Boker torx set (with bit selection in the handle) made in Germany by WIHA that worked great.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Pure speculation here, but my thought is to mic both backspacers, and see if the Cuscadi is a slightly different thickness?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Knifewing,
Try this.
Slightly loosen all the screws, including the pivot.
Fold some paper to about 1/8" thick, and wedge it in between the blade and the handle scale its closest to. Then retigten all the screws.
Then check the centering.
It may take a couple tries to get everything just right.
Hope this helps!
The Techno is a great knife, btw.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Try rotating the pivot screw 180 degrees (To the opposite handle scale).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Mjc1973

Post by Mjc1973 »

Try loosening all the screws and re-tighten all the screws with the pivot being the last screw you snug down. Worth a try.

We need pics with new back spacer.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Mjc1973 wrote:Try loosening all the screws and re-tighten all the screws with the pivot being the last screw you snug down. Worth a try.

We need pics with new back spacer.
This is what I would do as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
LC Kid

Why Touch the Pivot?

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I disassembled my Techno a couple of times to give it a full 'In-Depth' cleaning. Never had any kind of trouble regarding blade centering whatsoever. :cool:

My advice would be to rotate the pivot screws to the oposite side, as said.

BTW, if you just want to change the backspacer you don't need to touch the pivot. It could be esaily done leaving the pivot intact.
Stay Sharp!
araneae

Post by araneae »

My advice would be don't worry about it, just use the knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Mjc1973

Post by Mjc1973 »

I would forget about it. Just send it to me. I'll pay the shipping.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

BIG thanks to all for their helpful comments, except for Mjc1973's about sending the wounded Techno to him--although the free shipping offer was thoughtful :) I tried the simplest approach first and it worked. That was to loosen the pivot screws on opposite sides. The first time I did it the blade was centered perfectly, but unfortunately was so tight it wouldn't open. Then, by very gradually adjusting back and forth I got it about 98% centered with very smooth action. And I can identify with 98% centered...

Here are a couple of photos of the new backspacer, and thanks again.

[ATTACH]23718[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23719[/ATTACH]
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Knifewing wrote:BIG thanks to all for their helpful comments, except for Mjc1973's about sending the wounded Techno to him--although the free shipping offer was thoughtful :) I tried the simplest approach first and it worked. That was to loosen the pivot screws on opposite sides. The first time I did it the blade was centered perfectly, but unfortunately was so tight it wouldn't open. Then, by very gradually adjusting back and forth I got it about 98% centered with very smooth action. And I can identify with 98% centered...

Here are a couple of photos of the new backspacer, and thanks again.

[ATTACH]23718[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23719[/ATTACH]
You tease, that looks like a moonglow backspacer. Show in the dark pics!
Techno - Paramilitary 2 - Manbug.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Well, I took the Techno into a closet and instead of moonglow it was the dark side of the moon. But it would have been a cool surprise if it were moonglow...
Wyldey

Post by Wyldey »

The pivot screws are not equal length, one is longer then the other, try reversing the pivot screws?