Gunting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MatthewSB

Gunting

Post by MatthewSB »

Since we finally got a G10 Lava, how about a sprint run of the long discontinued Gunting? You could sell it as a combination with a trainer :cool:

The "kinetic opener" protrusion on the blade is unique, as was the puzzle lock.

I need another bizarre looking little big knife :D

From http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=25
Martial Arts Hall of Famer, and Grand Master-Bram Frank designed the Gunting for specialized MBC applications. The knife is designed to be a ready cutting tool but also as a non-cutting (non-lethal and less-than-lethal) impact tool. Bram travels the world teaching Gunting use through his company, Common Sense Self Defense.

As an impact tool, the Gunting's protrusions on the handle and blade are for pressure point control (think Yawara stick) that also can be utilized as a striking devise. Impact is focused on sensitive areas (pressure points such as fingers/hands, inside of arm, face and neck), which when struck and pinched can stop and debilitate an adversary without needing great physical strength. The hollow-ground CPM S30V blade has a prominent horn (also for pressure point control) that lets the blade be opened kinetically*. The blade also opens via the Spyderco Round Hole. G-10 handle scales house a Compression Lock locking system. Rated at MBC strength levels the Compression Lock is designed to hold immense pressure per inch of blade, the highest rating Spyderco has on its lock strength scale. The spoon-shaped clip has a divot with another divot is mirrored on the opposite side of the handle so the folder can be indexed (rotated) to varying grip positions. Coveted by LEOs and government agencies across the globe, the Gunting is a highly specialized, functional tool created to complement and accompany CSSD's conceptual patterned training.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would be in for one! I keep looking at used ones online.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The puzzle lock is what he uses on his newer models the original gunting was a lefty comp lock. Very stout knife mine has a kydex sheath made for belt carry. The kinetic opener can be used for very vicious tactics. If you were in a scuffle and used it with the kinetic opener you can cut them as you open the knife. Frank shows a demo on the wrist but if you would be grappling and put the opener say on the back or side of the abdomen nothing pretty would come from it. Having that kydex sheath makes it a more viable option in a scuffle like this. Instead of having to draw it from the pocket.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Here. Enjoy some eye candy.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's cool looking but way too eclectic looking for even me! Where's that Lil Temp sprint at? ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Frank is currently making these elsewhere. Much like the Wagner models I highly doubt we will see even a sprint as it would compete against their own knives.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It sort of looks like a prehistoric Yojimbo 2 with a horn...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

For it's purpose it was well thought out. It seems a little busy though but in practice it's pretty effective. Bram does a glove demo to show what happens when you try to block a small folder like the gunting with your hand. The original yo was designed to use in a similar manner minus the horn. Striking nerve clusters and pressure points. Hence the long tail on the original yo. A design mike dropped from the Yo2. I feel the gunting could have had a much longer blade along with the yojimbo but i think the reasoning was the same for both and that was legalities. They also made a few drone guntings in blue that were supposed to be used unsharpened as a defensive tool. Unfortunately i wouldn't buy those other knives Bram designed except for a fixed blade he made with Ontario that still has the hump like the folder.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Frank is currently making these elsewhere. Much like the Wagner models I highly doubt we will see even a sprint as it would compete against their own knives.
Bingo!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Blerv wrote:Frank is currently making these elsewhere. Much like the Wagner models I highly doubt we will see even a sprint as it would compete against their own knives.
I'd totally buy one too, if they could keep them in stock. I've been checking periodically, over the last few years, and have never seen them in stock.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the non-Spyderco Frank knives are made in China, with the expected lower quality steel and, well, everything else. No matter how good a design is, I have trouble trusting a life saving tool that was made in China. If I did find one in stock, I doubt I'd even carry it, and would only own it for playing around with and just to own a unique knife.

A quality, straight handled Spyderco Gunting would be nice :D
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The sheath pictured with the Gunting is one of the HD Belt Holsters with an integral G-Glip I made for them.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I purchased the knife second hand but i really enjoy the holster style sheath mike. I think spyderco should have shipped them with it. It really makes the knife more accessible in my opinion.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Personally (apologies in advance), I think it's an ill-conceived concept on so many levels. From effective use to legality to the marketing as a tactical tool for police officers. YMMV but that's just me. :o

Spyderco has collaborated with some wild people over the years, some a bit edgier than others :p . These tools have been interesting and at times complete genius. If a sprint was possible and everyone involved would make a ton of money, it would be awesome to see. Regardless of your opinion of the Gunting, it's difficult to find someone who doesn't think it's unique. Really, I wish Frank would team up with a custom knife maker and sell his design for $500-750. He would sell less knives but the result would be truly spectacular.
JD Spydo

GUNTING: Best Pocket Clip, Lock & handle IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

I've heard that the plain edged S30V version of the Gunting is one of the top 5 most rare Spyders ever made. Personally I always preferred the 440V version and it's one model I even liked in combo edge. I always love the handle, compression lock and pocket clip of the GUNTING and thought it to be one of Spyderco's very best collaborations ever IMO
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Blerv wrote:Personally (apologies in advance), I think it's an ill-conceived concept on so many levels. From effective use to legality to the marketing as a tactical tool for police officers. YMMV but that's just me. :o
I've been on the receiving end of the "kinetic opener" from a trainer in force on force 'practice' and it seemed pretty effective to me ;)
RexGig0

Re: GUNTING: Best Pocket Clip, Lock & handle IMO

Post by RexGig0 »

JD Spydo wrote:I've heard that the plain edged S30V version of the Gunting is one of the top 5 most rare Spyders ever made. Personally I always preferred the 440V version and it's one model I even liked in combo edge. I always love the handle, compression lock and pocket clip of the GUNTING and thought it to be one of Spyderco's very best collaborations ever IMO
If true, that means I used to carry one of the rarest Spyderco knives, starting around 2003-2004 or so. (EDIT: I just found that I was EDC-ing a Gunting at least as far back as 2002, though my first several purchases were of 440V steel.) I pulled it out of the safe yesterday, to started carrying it again, after a number of years. A Gunting really requires a sheath, to carry safely, and a new chief (police) mandated that our knives had to be completely concealed while in uniform, with quite draconian disciplinary action possible. I switched to a non-Spyderco knife, down inside the pocket, and to have consistency, regardless of being on or off the clock, I set aside the Gunting.

Well, with that chief now retired, and the rule against visible knives still being there, but now ignored, I elected to start trying the Gunting as my new-again carry blade. I have already found the Robert Humelbaugh sheath I used on my 2.25" duty belt, and it should not be too difficult to locate the sheaths I used on narrower belts, one of which is a Mike Sastre sheath I bought at the Blade Show some time from 2004 to 2007.
Last edited by RexGig0 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RexGig0

Re: Gunting

Post by RexGig0 »

Regarding a sprint run, I do not think Bram's newer folder is still being marketed, so that eliminates the competition factor. If Spyderco and Bram could reconcile, and organize a sprint run, I would try to get one or two. I did buy several Guntings, back in the day, so probably have a lifetime supply, but another couple would be nice.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

It took some mighty searching, but I found, in an old post, when I was posting as Rex G, that a Gunting was my EDC in 2002. My first few were 440V steel, and when S30V became available, managed to acquire at least one, in Plain Edge. (This relatively new "Rex" steel really filled my search results when I started looking for my old posts!)

I rejoined the forum today, with this new user name, when I could not recover my old user name or password. (I hope this is permissible.)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rex,

Welcome back to our forum.

Bram had entered a Gunting of sorts in the contest at the Blade show last week, so I would assume he's making them?

A sprint is not likely.

sal
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.