Idea for a para salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bornagainprimative

Idea for a para salt

Post by bornagainprimative »

Since it's a golden knife and h1 is no go. How about an lc200n para sprint with yellow g10 for the sea going para fans.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's all the other components they would need to change to make it remotely worthy of the "Salt" name.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

The para has too many internals and parts liners locks screws etc to be included in the salt line. All of this stuff would have to be made of titanium or H1 and it's just not going to happen. Also another reason they probably haven't made any g10 or more advanced models in the salt line are because the actual salt water and debris from the ocean etc would have too many places to hide and collect in a knife that has more parts liners etc and this just causes problems. I believe this is why The salt knives are simple models that are liner less and to the point. While I would love a yellow G10 para salt, I just don't see it ever happening. Maybe something more along the lines of a ukpk or a G10 knife that has a few less parts and no liners could make it into the salt line some time down the road...
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderHS08 wrote:The para has too many internals and parts liners locks screws etc to be included in the salt line. All of this stuff would have to be made of titanium or H1 and it's just not going to happen. Also another reason they probably haven't made any g10 or more advanced models in the salt line are because the actual salt water and debris from the ocean etc would have too many places to hide and collect in a knife that has more parts liners etc and this just causes problems. I believe this is why The salt knives are simple models that are liner less and to the point. While I would love a yellow G10 para salt, I just don't see it ever happening. Maybe something more along the lines of a ukpk or a G10 knife that has a few less parts and no liners could make it into the salt line some time down the road...
What spyder says. I love the para design, but I would not want a salt version. Personally, I wouldn't want one because there's too many internal parts and spots for fish goo to hide. It would be neat to have some kind of salt folder with an open construction though. Don't know what ind of lock would work for that though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderHS08 wrote:The para has too many internals and parts liners locks screws etc to be included in the salt line. All of this stuff would have to be made of titanium or H1 and it's just not going to happen. Also another reason they probably haven't made any g10 or more advanced models in the salt line are because the actual salt water and debris from the ocean etc would have too many places to hide and collect in a knife that has more parts liners etc and this just causes problems. I believe this is why The salt knives are simple models that are liner less and to the point. While I would love a yellow G10 para salt, I just don't see it ever happening. Maybe something more along the lines of a ukpk or a G10 knife that has a few less parts and no liners could make it into the salt line some time down the road...
What spyder says. I love the para design, but I probably would not want a salt version. Well, it wouldn't be at the top of my list anyway) Personally, I wouldn't want one because there's too many internal parts and spots for fish goo to hide. It would be neat to have some kind of salt folder with an open construction though. Don't know what ind of lock would work for that though.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is very true and all the more reason we need a knife with solid G-10 handles. A Military Salt would be easier to convert from the standard model than the Para 2. Or maybe we could get the Para 1 back for a salt version?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Ahh yes this is true being up so late my mind didn't even think of the other components that would need specialty steels
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

xceptnl wrote:This is very true and all the more reason we need a knife with solid G-10 handles. A Military Salt would be easier to convert from the standard model than the Para 2. Or maybe we could get the Para 1 back for a salt version?
Yes Landon, a military salt would probably be a lot easier to pull off. However, I believe Sal has said that h1 is not really compatible with liner locks, but i am curious about this lc200 steel. Unfortunately, the first knife it was used in is rather specialized and expensive so I just don't think many folks are using it too hard in those highly corrosive environments. I would love to hear some feedback on how the steel holds up to saltwater use and even started a thread asking if anyone had been using there's on the ocean much but mostly got chirping crickets in response. Maybe we will see a lc200 mule. I would give it a go.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Speaking of extra moving parts, G10, ect...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. ;)