(Sal) Spyderco Dragon, future bestseller?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

(Sal) Spyderco Dragon, future bestseller?

Post by DutchBlades »

Sal, everyone else on the forums,

Here's the deal.
Over time I've noticed allot of demand for certain bladeshapes, styles, sizes, models, etc.
There is no single blade that has or can have everyone's demand materialized.
But, I tried to come up with a design that would fit a whole lot of people's desires.
Many people want stuff like the Jester back or in a different size, they want certain steels, handle material, etc.
Bad part is, it isn't always good for sales and may not suit the knife functionally and/or aesthetically.
The Jester however, is a really useful knife style.
With a few tweaks it would serve allot of people on a larger scale.
I figured I'd implement this is a concept idea for a new knife.
And the name suits it well, Spyderco Dragon.
It's about time we have another mythological name after the Phoenix and Harpy! :D

Shown here with a lock-back, but very well suited for more types, even a compression lock.
Tried to draw the G10 as handle material, but come to think of it, CF, FRN or even stainless would look amazing too.
VG-10, because it's a perfect all-round steel, especially for prototype's.
Handles are very similar to the Endura ones, and so is the overall size.
Perhaps, this would be a Ladybug and Jester scenario, same handles (would save allot in costs).
Two sizes of this knife would stock the entire market, bigger knife guys/girls would have the Endura size.
Smaller knife guys/girls would have the Delica size.
Two sizes, almost the same design, the Dragon and the Hatchling or something :p

Sketch isn't all that great, but you'll get the idea of what I mean ;)
In my eyes, this is a model that Spyderco could REALLY use in their line-up.
It appeals to a large group of existing fans and models like this attract new customers and fans.
And it's something fresh, a little of the old Spyderco's we've all come to love mixed with a new design.
So, what do you guys think?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I think round out the point of the thumb ramp and you've got yourself a beauty! Great design!

I love the blade shape, it looks like it lends itself to be used with a hand pushing on the spine of the blade.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

chuckd wrote:I think round out the point of the thumb ramp and you've got yourself a beauty! Great design!

I love the blade shape, it looks like it lends itself to be used with a hand pushing on the spine of the blade.
Thanks for the advice and kind words!
If this model would come in production, I don't think I would be the only one that needs it in the Spydie collection :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Interesting design. It reminds me of a folding Warrior or Pygmy.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Interesting design. It reminds me of a folding Warrior or Pygmy.
Tried to take the best of quite allot of models, this is what I ended up with.
It does indeed lend some of it's design from the Warrior and Jester.
Furthermore it has allot of Endura influence and the deep great grippy Kiwi choil.
The Centofante 3 for the elongated curve and an extended back of the grips for more available pressure whilst still having a secure grip.
As I said before, it's allot of successful elements combined into a great EDC option IMHO ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Rounded thumb ramp, as said before, and it does look quite "useable"...

The blade is too long to fit in the scales, but your concept is well thought out...
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Rounded thumb ramp, as said before, and it does look quite "useable"...

The blade is too long to fit in the scales, but your concept is well thought out...
Yeah, the length of the blade is a little too much for the handle scales, I try to make a digital rendering when and if I can. That way, everything will fit and be like the final product would be. As a folder, the ramp should be rounded a bit, but other than that, it should work out great :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Holland

Post by Holland »

That looks incredible! Very nice design and very fitting name to go with it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Holland wrote:That looks incredible! Very nice design and very fitting name to go with it
Thanks Holland! :D
The name does suite it and even if it was an ugly knife, being able to say you own a "Spyderco Dragon" would be well worth it :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Round off the top of that thumb ramp and drop the curve at the end of the knife, and you'd have a pretty cool looking reverse tanto/wharncliffe hybrid.

Oh yeah, and no jimping! ;)
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

I'd buy it. Very nice design! S30v would be nicer for me but vg10 is also good ;)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

_centurio_ wrote:I'd buy it. Very nice design! S30v would be nicer for me but vg10 is also good ;)
The S30V can always be used later on, but as a prototype I think Spyderco itself would prefer the VG-10.
If I could choose, ofcourse I would go for S30V :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

StuntZombie wrote:Round off the top of that thumb ramp and drop the curve at the end of the knife, and you'd have a pretty cool looking reverse tanto/wharncliffe hybrid.

Oh yeah, and no jimping! ;)
Yeah, for it to be a folder the ramp should be a little rounded. Not a whole lot, just for it to sit in the pocket comfy ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The handle shape looks like the Endura. I'd make it different.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

ABX2011 wrote:The handle shape looks like the Endura. I'd make it different.
That's because the handle shape of the Endura and Para are the two most popular all-round handle shapes.
It would appeal to allot of people and would be cost effective, especially with prototypes ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Interesting. Take a look at Emerson CQC-8 too for somewhat similar blade design (although that has no choil).
Holland

Post by Holland »

dogrunner wrote:Interesting. Take a look at Emerson CQC-8 too for somewhat similar blade design (although that has no choil).
Wow totally! I kinda miss my horseman sometimes
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

DutchBlades wrote:That's because the handle shape of the Endura and Para are the two most popular all-round handle shapes.
It would appeal to allot of people and would be cost effective, especially with prototypes ;)
Well I see an Endura with a choil...not a big change. The blade shape difference is in the spine. You still have a similar amount of belly and a similar tip.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Also, not to pop your bubble, but if you were/are serious about this actually becoming a Spyderco knife, then showing it to the public before it becomes a Spyderco proprietary design probably wasn't the best idea. Anyone, anywhere could now use the design and/or claim it for their own.

However, Spyderco does do custom collaborations, so you never know what might happen.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Also, not to pop your bubble, but if you were/are serious about this actually becoming a Spyderco knife, then showing it to the public before it becomes a Spyderco proprietary design probably wasn't the best idea. Anyone, anywhere could now use the design and/or claim it for their own.

However, Spyderco does do custom collaborations, so you never know what might happen.
Wouldn't be the first time Spyderco accepts design from fans and fellow knife-nuts instead of just the known knife makers :)
Look at DiAlex for instance, he wasn't a knife maker or a known knife designer but still got together with Spyderco for the Adventura, Battlestation and Junior.
I know this isn't the best way, but I don't have the connections to contact Spyderco directly and be able to get feedback from the fans of Spyderco in a better way than this.
The die-hard Spydie fans are active on the forums and as we all know Sal keeps a close eye on the forums and I know he'll see this thread at some point in time :)
Besides, the design has several features that Spyderco has patents on and by posting it on the forums as a "gift" to Spyderco to give their thoughts on it, they have the rights to the design. I step back from my rights on it and give it to Spyderco, this way they have legal rights, same thing as with the Calender Contest pictures ;)

I can't really be blamed to have hope in being accepted by Spyderco like DiAlex or others and get this knife in production :D If it comes out half as nice as I imagine they can make it, it'll be the crown on my collection and allot of other people would like it too. I'll keep my hopes up and maybe this knife will see the production line at some point, it's cost effective so that has to contribute in the possibility :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.