Nilte Quiete . . . interesting indeed

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dialex

Post by dialex »

An interesting and promising design. I like the minimalistic approach.
Regarding the lockbar, I'd like to stress out that there are lockback knives where the lock spring is made out together with the backspacer, one single piece. From my experience with these, to all the knives I had with this feature the spring eventually broke. I have a Boker Delta Titanium with ceramic blade that was never used and the spring simply broke after a couple years of laying in its pouch in the drawer. As I said, never been used, just opened and closed 10 - 20 times a year. Others are a couple stilettos where the spring / backspacer pushes out the blade. Same thing here, the spring breaks sooner or later. Those who have a separate spring (which seems to be made out of an ordinary piece of steel wire) still work without problems.
This is why - despite my admiration for such an ingenious solution which I really like - I question the performance of Nilte Quiete's lock in time.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

dialex wrote:An interesting and promising design. I like the minimalistic approach.
Regarding the lockbar, I'd like to stress out that there are lockback knives where the lock spring is made out together with the backspacer, one single piece. From my experience with these, to all the knives I had with this feature the spring eventually broke. I have a Boker Delta Titanium with ceramic blade that was never used and the spring simply broke after a couple years of laying in its pouch in the drawer. As I said, never been used, just opened and closed 10 - 20 times a year. Others are a couple stilettos where the spring / backspacer pushes out the blade. Same thing here, the spring breaks sooner or later. Those who have a separate spring (which seems to be made out of an ordinary piece of steel wire) still work without problems.
This is why - despite my admiration for such an ingenious solution which I really like - I question the performance of Nilte Quiete's lock in time.
This is definitely a valid concern. Metal loses it's elasticity over time. Since metal maintains it's atoms in rigid, regular patterns, the addition of stress causes the atomic bonding to break over time. Even though the steel in this case is not being bent past its elastic limit causing deformation, the intermittent small amounts of stress caused by disengaging the lock are still going to decrease the elasticity of the metal over time causing it to eventually break.
Clip

Post by Clip »

A little over a year since my last post in this thread, but thought I'd let you guys know I finally came across one on BF for $150, so I had to try it out. Should be getting here Tuesday or Wednesday. Will try my hardest to put up some picture and a little write up along with some other non-Spydercos in the collection.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
paladin

Post by paladin »

Clip wrote:A little over a year since my last post in this thread, but thought I'd let you guys know I finally came across one on BF for $150, so I had to try it out. Should be getting here Tuesday or Wednesday. Will try my hardest to put up some picture and a little write up along with some other non-Spydercos in the collection.
Wow...some pretty steep depreciation from it's $400 asking price...your knife may be missing its original "length of yellow paracord" :p

But seriously, thanks Clip, for taking the time to dissect this interesting piece
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Jax

Post by Jax »

Wow it's been a year already?
I am looking forward to your impressions on this and the other knives you alluded too.
I really like the white G10,and would like to see some Spyderco knives use it.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I believe I saw some blades by this maker at this year's Blade Show. They struck me as being very well-made, very light weight, and smooth as silk. He had several other similar models as well...

TedP
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I really like the design. I will be interested to hear how the lock in particular feels. Very light and extremely cool looking knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:A little over a year since my last post in this thread, but thought I'd let you guys know I finally came across one on BF for $150, so I had to try it out. Should be getting here Tuesday or Wednesday. Will try my hardest to put up some picture and a little write up along with some other non-Spydercos in the collection.
Chris, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of this model. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*