One-knife people

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

One-knife people

Post by elena86 »

Are there any Spyderco collectors( in my book "spyderco collector= own more than 10 and keep coming") who carry only one and don't feel the need to rotate or carry more than one ? THE ONE.I started to envy "one-knife carry" people.In the last five years or so, I tried to figure out which one is THE ONE for me.Guess what : I couldn't ! :confused:
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I could make a top 5, but not a #1...
Some have allot of value because it's a really limited one, my first ever Spydie, story's behind it, etc.
But to choose 1... Not really possible for me either :rolleyes:
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Gayle Bradley :)
I tried 10 models for last 3 years and GB is my favourite.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Igi964 wrote:Gayle Bradley :)
I tried 10 models for last 3 years and GB is my favourite.
I need one of those so bad >.<
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I tend to be, at the very least I tend to carry the same knife for months at a time without rotating it out for something different.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I mostly carry one knife at a time, but do rotate them almost every other day, sometimes daily it all depends. I dont have specific favorite but I know the Endura is my favorite design, just a trusty workhorse.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'll go about a week. But, that's because I'm brand new to the hobby.
I just got my first Spydie (Vallotton) back in April.
Suffice it to say, I'm not as seasoned as most members. Not even close :)
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I wish I could narrow it down to just one. Lately, it's mostly been the Dice.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydersense wrote:I wish I could narrow it down to just one. Lately, it's mostly been the Dice.
Yeah. I've heard very good things about the Dice.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

elena86 wrote:Are there any Spyderco collectors( in my book "spyderco collector= own more than 10 and keep coming") who carry only one and don't feel the need to rotate or carry more than one ? THE ONE.I started to envy "one-knife carry" people.In the last five years or so, I tried to figure out which one is THE ONE for me.Guess what : I couldn't ! :confused:
My very close friend, known on this Forum as WhyNot, used to have quite impressive collection of 100+ and was carrying only Cento3. IIRC Peter also was carrying only Caly3 for years and switched to CF Walker only few years ago.
I also carry only very few knives out of my accumulation.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it depends a lot on the person and why they like knives in the first place, and what they value in knives the most. I used to put a lot of focus on looks but over the last few years that has strongly shifted to performance and ergonomics. There are knives that I don't like the looks of but would use and likely develop an attraction to if I liked how they felt in hand and how they perform (Southard). Honestly the looks of the Manix 2 aren't super high on my favorite list but the ergos and performance create this fondness that works in a similar was as aesthetics for me, because when I look at it I don't see a knife that I like the looks of, I see all the things that make me like how it feels and performs and so I see the beauty in those things. I think people who focus more on looks and "cool factor" have a harder time narrowing it down because there most of them are great looking and plenty cool. It also helps if you really put a lot of thought into what you want a knife to do and you really evaluate each knife based on those things. Then you may find that some knives you really loved (Vallotton) don't meet your needs as well as others. Then if the performance really matters more to you then you'll weed out a lot of knives real fast.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like variety, and choosing the best fitting tools each day. Which knives, guns, flashlights, multi tools, etc., to carry each day, are chosen based on where or what I expect to be doing. Or, sometimes based on a whim. I really enjoy choosing from the variety each day.
:bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

One knife? Perish the thought!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:I tend to be, at the very least I tend to carry the same knife for months at a time without rotating it out for something different.
That's pretty much what I do as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I could easily just have a Caly 3.5. Easily.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I can see the real benefit of having a great knife that you trust and know you can rely on day after day. I however feel I have the muscle memory to change up what I carry for however I feel that day. With so many great knives in my collection, I see no reason to limit myself to just my favorites. I do tend to circle around to a select few (5-10 models) that hit the pocket more per month than any others, but even these could change depending on what Sal comes up with next. Great thread.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

For several years, I was a one knife guy. I owned several knives, but the only one I regularly carried was a Delica 3. Even now, I tend to stick with my Delica 4, though I will rotate it out every now and then.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

twinboysdad wrote:I could easily just have a Caly 3.5. Easily.
That's what is in my pocket right now. :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

I generally don't carry more than one if you don't count the one that is on my key chain, but I do tend to rotate. I stick mainly with the Calys and Sages with a PM2 or something small like the Leafstorm or Dragonfly thrown in once in a while. When I'm working in the yard I carry my Tasman or new Byrd Hawkbill. I would have a very hard time just picking one to use all the time.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MacLaren wrote:That's what is in my pocket right now. :)
If that BM is what I think it is, you only own 9 Spydies.You need at least 1 more to join the club :)