How about a Spyderco trench knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

How about a Spyderco trench knife?

Post by Bradley »

Are there any laws that prevent this from being a possibility? I've wanted to buy one for a long while, but the quality leaves something to be desired. I've seen folding trench knives that suit my fancy, but once again, I bet Spyderco could do it better. Basically I'm just dreaming of a Spyderco trench knife, folded or fixed.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Studey

Post by Studey »

Why? Not really what Spyderco is all about...high performance cutting tools.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

They make some knives that are combat oriented, and there aren't many trench knives on the market. Especially not from quality brands. I know its a niche market, but it'd be sweet.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'd love to see Spyderco develop one...Busse does a quality fixed one, the Argonne Assault...

They would be a fine close quarter weapon....as for using outside the SD arena, I don't know how practical they'd be...grips/holds would be limited...

And I realize a "trench knife" elicits a very visceral reaction even from us knife folk...interested, but pushing the envelope, IMHO
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I had to go to google to see what a "trench knife" was. Nah.....
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

+1, I'm with Gringo, nothing I'd ever want to own or honestly to see Sal or Eric and company ever make either. Leave that to other companies.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd much rather a nice fillet knife
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Surfingringo wrote:I had to go to google to see what a "trench knife" was. Nah.....
+1. Not something that I would like to see done.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'd rather see them release some more ethnic series knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I would be kind of embarrassed for Spyderco if this happened. If I had to describe Spyderco's designs with one phrase it would be "good taste".
All God's critters have knives.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

shiny footprints......lol not sure if a trench knife fits their motto. Plus it would be very hard to sell those as brass knuckles and the like are illegal quite a few places. I don't see spyderco venturing this way. However with that being said....I'd definitely buy one if they made it as Kansas just lifted ALL of their fixed blade, auto and butterfly laws! :D

In the mean time Bradley, pick yourself up a warrior. Sick double edged out of the ordinary knife with super comfortable grip/reverse grip!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Studey

Post by Studey »

spyderHS08 wrote:shiny footprints......lol not sure if a trench knife fits their motto. Plus it would be very hard to sell those as brass knuckles and the like are illegal quite a few places. I don't see spyderco venturing this way.
That's basically what I was getting at, thanks.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Agree, a Trench Knife does not fit the Spyderco profile. It is more like something Cold Steel would and does make.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hmmm. I had to go look up pics of the "trench knife" as well. This is different that what I assumed it was. I had in mind something like a Japanese Hori-Hori used for digging, trenching or gardening... :cool:

TedP

(like this)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Surfingringo wrote:I had to go to google to see what a "trench knife" was. Nah.....
Hahah I had to as well! And I agree, I would never buy one of those and would much rather have a fillet knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

zhyla wrote:I would be kind of embarrassed for Spyderco if this happened. If I had to describe Spyderco's designs with one phrase it would be "good taste".
Well said sir
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

All knife laws and all knife bans should be ended across the board, permanently, and forever, and allow people to carry any kind of knife they want. The idea of a Spyderco Trench Knife is beautiful. I can already envision it in my mind: FRN handles with some fluting or checkering for a sure grip, full-tang blade, the steel would be VG-10, H-1, or something, and would be a one-piece double or single edged blade with optional serrations, perhaps saber-ground, and one piece with a knuckleduster grip with holes large enough for any sized fingers, and, a skull-crusher butt.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Put some brass knuckles on the Spyderco Warrior and be done with it. I do not believe a trench knife would be that far off from either the warrior, szabo or the tatanka for me. I will be passing on all of them. Different strokes for different folks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I think trench knives are really cool, but as a 45 year-old father of three, I have no use for one.

I have a friend my age and he purchased a Busse Battlemaster a few years back. He liked it a lot, but ended up selling it because he didn't have anything he could use it for.

With ever limited funds for knives these days, I would spend my money on something more practical for my world - like a serrated edged Dodo sprint, if it came to pass.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Uh oh, I guess everyone should be really embarrassed about Spyderco. The Warrior was designed by some of the most hard core killing machines the world has ever seen.

I have two of them (shiny and black)

Not to mention the fairly constant stream of MBC designs, including the Yojimbo.

Brass knuckles are very limiting, but the rest of the concept of a "combat knife" can translate to utility use quite well, really for the majority of things that need being cut the type of knife you have is almost irrelevant, "sharp" is pretty much the only qualifier.
I'd love to see a lightweight 9" hog sticker in H-1. 1/8" thick with either a spear point and deep wide hollow grind, or a full on dagger with one side getting the full SE treatment. I particularly appreciate having both PE and SE on the same blade with the Warrior.