Sal, is there any word on the Strider collaboration?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Cheddarnut wrote:I would find this collab to be a clash of two opposing sets of manufacturer values. From what ive read about strider, i couldnt see spyderco teaming up purely out of moral obligation. It would be like gordon lightfoot teaming up with axl rose.
I didn't want this thread to turn into this, yes both companies have a history. Yes they're different but current day both companies are doing amazing things for our troops and police forces all over the country. Only reason I created this was because it was already mentioned by Sal they had talked, I was just checking to see if there were any updates.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Invective

Post by Invective »

xceptnl wrote:What size would interest everyone the most? Smaller like the PT or more like the SnG?
I'd definitely go for an SnG. Looking for an actual one now but funds are limited. I think the real question is, what steel should be used!

Strider has worked with a fair bit of exotic steels, S110V, PD1, Z-Wear, M4, B75P, 3V (as well as others I'm sure) and I think we should be trying to figure out what steel would work best!

While S30V would be nice, it would be a lot more fun to get a Striderco in a different steel. I'd be all over a 3V or Z-Wear or M4 Striderco in a heartbeat! PSF-27 would be sweet as well!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

3V would be awesome (Or S110V because both companies have used 3V and S110V), but both companies have extensive experience working with S30V so that would be my bet on what we'll see if any collaboration is indeed going to come to fruition.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Have and do own half dozen Strider folder/fixed blade models.

Know Mick personally.

Strider was one of a dozen or so who sent blades gratis to my SF company in KU right before OIF 1.

And outfitted my son, a now multi tour combat Marine, with a SD model por nada when they met down in SoCal several years ago now.

A Spyder/Strider collaboration would be a nice bit of work.

As for "moral obligations" and whatnot ... I spent nearly 8 years publishing in the cutlery community as many know. I know numerous big name custom, production and specialty cutlery personalities who have less than stellar "moral" or "ethical" standards when it comes to doing biz.

Ain't no one perfect and I include my ugly old self :)

I think the closest to being both a gentleman and a straight shooter was Jimmy Lyle. Right behind him was Al Mar. They were examples of the best the cutlery industry had to offer "back in the day", IMHO.

Strider Knives rock. A collaboration would be cool. I go for both sizes. Some like 'em big...some like 'em small :spyder:
GW
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

So ti RIL handle/lock on one side and nested ti liner/G10 on the other? Or are we thinking of going crazy with scale materials?
knolan

Post by knolan »

Another vote for the PT w/XHP or better.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I the SnG is my favorite size and fits my hand perfectly. I can use the SMF and the pocket size is tolerable, but the feel in hand is seriously lacking when compared to the Schempp Tuff.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not too interested. If you want a Strider buy a Strider or a ZT, if you want Spyderco buy a Spyderco.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Donut wrote:I'm not too interested. If you want a Strider buy a Strider or a ZT, if you want Spyderco buy a Spyderco.
Then why do any collaborations?

Depends what the end result is. If it is just SMF + Spydie hole I would pass. If the collab knife is as nice as my DOC, I'll be very excited.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Greg Walker wrote:Have and do own half dozen Strider folder/fixed blade models.

Know Mick personally.

Strider was one of a dozen or so who sent blades gratis to my SF company in KU right before OIF 1.

And outfitted my son, a now multi tour combat Marine, with a SD model por nada when they met down in SoCal several years ago now.

A Spyder/Strider collaboration would be a nice bit of work.

As for "moral obligations" and whatnot ... I spent nearly 8 years publishing in the cutlery community as many know. I know numerous big name custom, production and specialty cutlery personalities who have less than stellar "moral" or "ethical" standards when it comes to doing biz.

Ain't no one perfect and I include my ugly old self :)

I think the closest to being both a gentleman and a straight shooter was Jimmy Lyle. Right behind him was Al Mar. They were examples of the best the cutlery industry had to offer "back in the day", IMHO.

Strider Knives rock. A collaboration would be cool. I go for both sizes. Some like 'em big...some like 'em small :spyder:
Fair enough, toss me in there as well :D i may simply be blowing spydercos 'innocence' out of proportion.
That said, the one thing i couldnt get over was the useless oval hole on the pt i had, put a spyderhole on there and ill take a second look. I say the pt is close, maybe too close, to the native. For this reason an sng might make more sense in the gap its filling, if there is a gap at all. And please, no s30v. Reprofiling the tip of a pt in s30v at whatever the hrc strider does s30v at was brutal, imo. Or thin it out a little.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

donutsrule wrote:So ti RIL handle/lock on one side and nested ti liner/G10 on the other? Or are we thinking of going crazy with scale materials?
Well they could do it how strider does it with a full ti lock side and then simple machined G10 only on the other side, or they could do it how spyderco built the tuff and do a ti lock side with a stainless steel and g10 opposite side of the handle. It should be fun to see what they decide on...if this even happens that is.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I can't find the original post by Sal but I remember it saying something along the lines that both parties are interested, but they just haven't made it happen yet..... for whatever reason. maybe it was both parties willing..... I dunno. I think it would make for a helluva collab. I vote for a Spyderco style SnG

please god no SJ75S(mini) unless its the full size MSC version :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

A knife that looks like a Strider but is built by Spyderco would be amazing.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Donut wrote:I'm not too interested. If you want a Strider buy a Strider or a ZT, if you want Spyderco buy a Spyderco.
I see what you mean. The Lionspy really didn't get me as well as some other Spyderco models because I knew for a few dollars more, I could get an SR-1.

If there's going to be a collaboration, I'm hoping for something completely different that can't be too compared to an SNG.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think a collaboration between Spyderco and Strider would be pretty amazing. So just to add to the debate, how would you like to see it done? 1 high end knife collaboration or a series like Emerson has made with Kershaw/ZT, a couple of high end knives and a a couple on the cheaper side?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
M80

Post by M80 »

Full size SJ-75 of course
M80

Post by M80 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I think a collaboration between Spyderco and Strider would be pretty amazing. So just to add to the debate, how would you like to see it done? 1 high end knife collaboration or a series like Emerson has made with Kershaw/ZT
One high end knife :D
peter469

Post by peter469 »

I've had dozens of both. Strider do have some good design ideas but for practical application I'd vote Spyderco every time. That said, something like a lightweight SnG with a compression lock and wire clip would be great. And a thinner edge grind than Striders usual stuff!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I would like a StriderSpyder as well.
SnG size, but with more cutting edge, (less choil than the named), and thinner stock than the named. Any steel.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I don't have much use for large, heavy thick-bladed folders. They just aren't my thing...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185