Military D2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peter469

Military D2

Post by peter469 »

I've never liked the Military enough to give it a second glance even though my favourite is the PM2. I even passed on a cheap cruwear one recently. Now it just so happens that I have a D2 sprint user on the way. I'm secretly hoping to be impressed :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

If for no other reason, the foliage green is awesome.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The D2 version is one of the more Rare versions. I've casually been looking for one for a while.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

C-36 Military model: Spyderco's answer to the Buck 110 model IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

I sure love my CTS-XHP Military model. Unfortunately I missed the boat on the S90V Sprint run because that is when I was in the middle of a financial trainwreck. But since I've recovered I've not been able to locate one. But I'm sure Spyderco will be using the C-36 Military model to have many more premium and supersteel models.

The Military model is truly a classic>> It's Spyderco's version of the Buck model 110 in my opinion. I wouldn't even mind seeing the Military model made with one of the Japanese Supersteels. Because they did make it once in ATS-34 in the early going.

I do wish however that they would do more exotic handle materials with the Military model. I would love to see one with a Micarta handle. I would also like to see Spyderco make or market a belt sheath for the Military model. It would make it extremely handy for those who would want to use it as a hunter-folder.

I love D-2 blade steel and would love a Military model made with that steel. I've heard nothing but good about the BG-42 version of the C-36 Military model. There is a reason that model has been around for 18 years plus. But they really need to offer one up in Spyderedge like the 440V model of years gone by>> because there is a lot of guys wanting one.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I had the orange sprint a year or two ago but sold it cause I thought it was just too big. Couldn't get used to the size and liked my para2s better at the time
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The BG-42 is my favorite, but I do love to admire the color of both the D2 (Foliage) and XHP (Coyote Brown)

Nice grab on a Military that is becoming hard to find these days.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've been keeping my eyes open for a D2 Millie user too. They seem to be turning up less and less often.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:The BG-42 is my favorite, but I do love to admire the color of both the D2 (Foliage) and XHP (Coyote Brown)

Nice grab on a Military that is becoming hard to find these days.
Have you acid washed the BG 42? Or stone washed?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I had one and sold it. I loved (and still love) the foliage green G10 but the blade performance wasn't anything special, and unlike S30V the blade was subject to corrosion if not cared for. I sold it and don't really regret it (I kept the twin Paramilitary, though).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DougC-3 wrote:Have you acid washed the BG 42? Or stone washed?
It is stonewashed. No Acid
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

JNewell wrote:I had one and sold it. I loved (and still love) the foliage green G10 but the blade performance wasn't anything special, and unlike S30V the blade was subject to corrosion if not cared for. I sold it and don't really regret it (I kept the twin Paramilitary, though).
+1 on steel performance. But the jimping on my s30v para 2 has twice the amount of rust as my d2 para 1, which has gotten wayyyy more pocket time.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:Unfortunately I missed the boat on the S90V Sprint run because that is when I was in the middle of a financial trainwreck. But since I've recovered I've not been able to locate one. But I'm sure Spyderco will be using the C-36 Military model to have many more premium and supersteel models.
I believe you should be able to get your hands on a Bento Box Shop version if you wanted. Or a BBS Factory Second.

I'm with you on the new models. I'm crossing my fingers for K390.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!