The Few, The Proud: AUS-8 Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Few, The Proud: AUS-8 Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

OK we've covered some of the other great eras of Spyderco's time when they used certain blade steels during certain time periods. We've recently covered ATS-34 & ATS-55 which both were very interesting and spurred some good information to come forward.

One group of early Spyderco blades you just don't hear much about are their mid to late 90s AUS-8 models which are some of the models that seem to have gotten used the most. You don't see many AUS-8 models in top notch collections which leads me to believe they got used a lot more than models with other blade steels and not many ended up being safe queens or collector's icons by comparison. There also wasn't as many AUS-8 Spyders overall as there were in many of the other blade steels of years gone by that we've talked about recently but I've noticed that they used that steel on Spyders that ended up getting used a lot. Also tell us how you liked the steel compared to GIN-1 and some other older steels that were used in the early going.

I still use my original full Spyderedged Catcherman model which was an AUS-8 model. It also seems like a lot of the older AUS-8 models were Spyderedged more so than many of the other blade steels were. Personally I liked AUS-8 for Spyderedges even though it wasn't one of the better steels on plain edges in my opinion. The Stainless handled Caly Jr was an AUS-8 blade which was the only Caly Jr that was hollow ground and it was available in SE & PE. I also had an older full Spyderedged Endura that was AUS-8 that I used a lot.

OK let's explore this little known Spyderco era which didn't seem to last long. For all you newbies this will be a good chance to learn some ancient Spyder History :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My first two Spyderco knives were a Delica and a Jess Horn lightweight, both PE and AUS 8. I was so underwhelmed by their performance that it was 10 years before I bought another Spyderco. The AUS 8 period may have been brief, but it wasn't brief enough for me. I like GIN-1/G2 a lot better.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I've got some...will have to go dig them out. Not the best steel by a long shot, but not the worst, either.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What models came in AUS-8? I only have the SS Calypso Jr in that steel, never used it though...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:My first two Spyderco knives were a Delica and a Jess Horn lightweight, both PE and AUS 8. I was so underwhelmed by their performance that it was 10 years before I bought another Spyderco. The AUS 8 period may have been brief, but it wasn't brief enough for me. I like GIN-1/G2 a lot better.
I can appreciate where you're coming from YAB because I used a Renegade model with GIN-1 blade steel for my main EDC for almost a year>> obviously GIN-1 does not stack up to the newer steels in many ways but it wasn't junk either. Like my introduction says>> I did like my full Spyderedged AUS-8 models and I use my AUS-8 Catcherman almost daily and Spyderedged AUS-8 seems to do well.

The AUS-8 era was probably the shortest for a reason. And I forgot about the Jess Horn lightweight being one of the AUS-8 models. It seems like there was one more popular model that was also AUS-8 for a short time.

It is odd how some steels do well in Spyderedge that don't do so well in plain edge. Also I seem to remember another stainless handled Spyder was AUS-8 but I can't remember which one.

One premier model that was AUS-8 was the very first Bob Lum fixed blade. I still can't figure that one out?????
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
The se Viele was my second Spyderco. It served as my edc for quite some time, and did a great job. At the time I didn't know squat about steels, but was never disappointed by the performance.
The pe Viele I bought used at a local flea market for a great deal.
Thanks for looking!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Not up to my usual quality, but here's a quick shot of my Walker lightweight, which turns out to be my only Aus-8 Spyder.

MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

two more...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
JD Spydo

Some AUS-8 models were great, but not many

Post by JD Spydo »

Wow!! Guys!! I almost forgot that the original Viehle model was AUS-8. I remember the Walker lightweight was AUS-8 but hadn't seen one in a long time.

It seems like there was another utility or kitchen blade that was also AUS-8 but I just can't put my finger on it. It's interesting that the first generation of Catcherman models were AUS-8>> I wonder what got Spyderco to use that on the first Catcherman models??

I do think that many of the Salsa models were AUS-8 as well. Also if my memory serves me well I do think that the first run of the C-56 Zowada was also AUS-8
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:I do think that many of the Salsa models were AUS-8 as well.
all of them, with one execption

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

and a few pics of the AUS-8 Viele

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I had an AUS-8 Dragonfly SE and a AUS-6 Meerkat SE and by my uninitiated perspective they never got "dull". Serrations also really helped the lower carbon steel (and thicker grinds).

Recipe wise AUS8 isn't much different than 8Cr13Mov or even VG10. I mean, it's 20-30% less carbon than VG10 but sharpens up pretty dang easily.
Space

Post by Space »

I own a few of the AUS-8 models:
Spyderco Viele C42S
Spyderco Jess Horn C38PSBK
Spyderco Remote Release C30SBK
Spyderco Walker C37PSBK
Spyderco SnapIt C26SBK
Spyderco Spyderench T01PS
Spyderco Catcherman C17PSYL AUS-8A
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote: It seems like there was another utility or kitchen blade that was also AUS-8 but I just can't put my finger on it. It's interesting that the first generation of Catcherman models were AUS-8>> I wonder what got Spyderco to use that on the first Catcherman models??
I looked it up online, apparently the Sashimi Wood was in AUS-8.

I've always liked AUS-8, it's a nice steel that takes a super keen edge. I used to have a Salsa in AUS-8 but sold it off. I still have My MeerKat in AUS-6 and the Vagabond which is also AUS-6. I like this steel as well, it reminds me of H1 in ease of sharpening and the edge it will take. Can honestly get one of the sharpest edges with the least amount of effort.
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote: It seems like there was another utility or kitchen blade that was also AUS-8 but I just can't put my finger on it. It's interesting that the first generation of Catcherman models were AUS-8>> I wonder what got Spyderco to use that on the first Catcherman models??
I looked it up online, apparently the Sashimi Wood was in AUS-8.

I've always liked AUS-8, it's a nice steel that takes a super keen edge. I used to have a Salsa in AUS-8 but sold it off. I still have My MeerKat in AUS-6 and the Vagabond which is also AUS-6. I like this steel as well, it reminds me of H1 in ease of sharpening and the edge it will take. Can honestly get one of the sharpest edges with the least amount of effort.
LC Kid

AUS-8 = Elusive Spyder

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

One of the very first models I got from Spyderco back in High School was my C38PBK Jess Horn, AUS-8 blade, black zytel handle:

Always loved the clip blade, always hated the handle, the result was pretty obvious and I barely used it.

By that time I got my first Delica, and then my first Endura, both SS handles, then the Jess Horn went straight to the box.

Always wanted to find the Micarta Jess Horn, never happened, but it was for the best since today I'm sure it could never have kicked my Delica / Endura out of my pocket. :D
Stay Sharp!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

My first Spyderco was a Delica SE in AUS-8. I thought this was an amazing knife that never seemed to go dull... It was my only knife for about 15 years, and I used it for those 15 years before finally sharpening it (the only time I've ever sharpened the knife because I never knew how to sharpen a SE). It seemed to hold its serrated edge very well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The oldest Spyderco I own is a Serrated Delica in AUS-8.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I don't have any of these. But I do recall other Marines in the Infantry platoon I was a part of having Aus-8 Enduras.

I think that they were fully serrated models, But I can't recall for sure.

I hadn't gotten into Spyderco yet at the time.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I was going to mention the SpyderCard too, but I see that mine has the AUS-6 vs. AUS-8 steel.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal