MT19P Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring PSF27

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT19P Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring PSF27

Post by TazKristi »

MT19P will be available for sale on Wednesday, 06-Aug-2014 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT19.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $79.95 each

Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00

International Orders:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at [email]sfo@spyderco.com[/email] or 303/279-8383 x 107.
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $45
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $60

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About PSF27:
Spyderco’s nineteenth Mule Team Project installment features PSF27, a tool steel produced using the Spray Forming Process. Spray forming—also known as spray casting or spray deposition—begins by melting an alloy steel in an induction furnace. The molten steel is then poured through a ceramic nozzle and broken up into droplets by an array of gas jets. The droplets are accelerated by the jets to impact onto a collection surface while still in a semi-solid condition. There they build up to form a spray-formed billet, assuming the shape of the substrate surface. The small size and rapid cooling of the droplets minimizes alloy segregation to produce an extremely fine-grained homogenous steel.

PSF27 combines the advantages of the Spray Forming Process with an alloy composition (1.55% carbon, 12.00% chromium, 0.75% molybdenum, 1.00% vanadium) that is basically equivalent to D2 tool steel. The synergy of these alloys and the Spray Forming Process results in a steel that offers increased toughness, wear resistance, crack resistance, and higher hardness. It is also more predictable and dimensionally stable during the heat-treatment process.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nice. :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome! May have to get one, undecided right now
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

In! I plan to pick mine up at the SFO, just like last time.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I hope these continue to be ground as thin as the other most recent Mules have been
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Another must have...my wallet is taking some serious hurt.
On the hunt for...
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

xceptnl wrote:I hope these continue to be ground as thin as the other most recent Mules have been
The first Taiwan Mule (S110V as I recall) was ground thinner than typical, but I thought Sal said he'd remedy that in the future.
I don't know if this is a Golden Mule or a Taiwan Mule.
Edit: Now we need D2 (ingot) and D2 (CPM) Mules for comparison!
Invective

Post by Invective »

Well this is a fun surprise! I'm in for at least 1!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Being a tool steel, does that mean it won't be stainless?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

Higher hardness? Do we know the target hardness?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Being a tool steel, does that mean it won't be stainless?
"basically equivalent to D2" would mean that it is semi-stainless. It doesn't have quite enough chrome in it to be completely classified as stainless, but it is reasonably stainless they way that most people use it.
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

I'm in! :D

For any other UK members MDT is 6 hours behind BST, so get ready to spend some time online after 15:00 ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Fancier wrote:The first Taiwan Mule (S110V as I recall) was ground thinner than typical, but I thought Sal said he'd remedy that in the future.
I don't know if this is a Golden Mule or a Taiwan Mule.
Edit: Now we need D2 (ingot) and D2 (CPM) Mules for comparison!
I am a D2 lover so any similar iteration makes me happy. I knew the S110V was Taiwan, but the K390 was thin as well wasn't it? Maybe I am recalling something else?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Hah, these go up for sale on my birthday!

I've never used D2, but seeing as these are going up on my birthday.... why the heck not. I might just give it a shot.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
Toast

Post by Toast »

I think one of the more interesting parts of this alloy is the inclusion of some Nitrogen. Its a small amount so should be interesting to see how much change this makes.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Interesting surprise I am in for my usual 1. My wallet is gonna be thin, first the Kiwi 3, Mule 19 and the Worker sprint is coming OUCH!
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Oh boy I'm in
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cool a mini Gayle Bradley Bowie. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes!!!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Now the rush for Halpern scales starts again!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King