Caly jr.sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Caly jr.sprint

Post by elena86 »

Any news ? I mean, any fresh news ? Please...anyone, Sal ? :confused: I started to walk around the house and talk to myself: Caly jr., Caly jr., bring back Caly jr.....
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

To quote Mick Jagger: "I Am Waiting..." :cool:

[video=youtube;kLr4rEQ4LMU]https://youtu.be/kLr4rEQ4LMU[/video]
dialex

Post by dialex »

I always said the FRN Caly jr. would make an excellent candidate for a sprint run in H1, with a high saber grind (a la H1 Dragonfly) instead of the full flat grind that caused so many problems to this particular model. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I really like mine. Got it for just under $40 from Ebay. This is the first SE knife that I have enjoyed as much as my PE Spyders.

I think a sprint in Super Blue or White Steel would sell well.

paladin

Post by paladin »

dialex wrote:I always said the FRN Caly jr. would make an excellent candidate for a sprint run in H1, with a high saber grind (a la H1 Dragonfly) instead of the full flat grind that caused so many problems to this particular model. :)
What problems are you referring to? The warped blades on some of the black ZDP Sprints, perhaps?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dialex wrote:I always said the FRN Caly jr. would make an excellent candidate for a sprint run in H1, with a high saber grind (a la H1 Dragonfly) instead of the full flat grind that caused so many problems to this particular model. :)
I see you like H1.I am just curious, being an admirer of your work, which is your actual(in production) favorite H1 model ? As EDC...And a virtual H1 model ? I think I remember you saying in a previous post something about an H1 serrated Delica....but, I may be wrong.Just curious....
Nate

Post by Nate »

I went to my LKS last week and they had a full sized black micarta Calypso in VG-10 sitting on a Resilience box??? It was hard to pass on, but it really made me want a micarta Caly Jr.
:spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

paladin wrote:What problems are you referring to? The warped blades on some of the black ZDP Sprints, perhaps?
Some percentage of warped blades were experienced by every FFG version of the C52 Calypso Jr and by the original C54 Calypsos.

As for me, I'd be thrilled to see a return of the Micarata Caly Jr. but, given Sal's disinclination to use Micarta, I doubt it will happen. I'd also be happy to see another run of the FRN version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Deacon wrote:Some percentage of warped blades were experienced by every FFG version of the C52 Calypso Jr and by the original C54 Calypsos.

As for me, I'd be thrilled to see a return of the Micarata Caly Jr. but, given Sal's disinclination to use Micarta, I doubt it will happen. I'd also be happy to see another run of the FRN version.
FRN is good enough as long as there is an adjustable pivot and a tip up wire pocket clip.Let's not forget the blade.Full ZDP189.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

The Deacon wrote: As for me, I'd be thrilled to see a return of the Micarata Caly Jr. but, given Sal's disinclination to use Micarta, I doubt it will happen. I'd also be happy to see another run of the FRN version.
I would also like to see a micarta Calypso but I can understand why Sal doesn't want to use it. However I would like to know why Spyderco has such problems using micarta while Al Mar knives for example doesn't. Their ultralight series is very similar to the micarta Calypsos and are also made by Moki. They don't appear to have any problems with the micarta warping or breaking. Does anyone know why?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

elena86 wrote:FRN is good enough as long as there is an adjustable pivot and a tip up wire pocket clip.Let's not forget the blade.Full ZDP189.
Screw pivot might be possible, but a wire clip on an one piece FRN model is unlikely, and, at least up to now, Moki has been either unable or unwilling to work with solid ZDP-189. So, while I could always be wrong, I don't see that particular combination of features happening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hopefully they use the same flush pivot they used on the Calypso sprint.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Some percentage of warped blades were experienced by every FFG version of the C52 Calypso Jr and by the original C54 Calypsos.
True, but for some reasons I never heard about warped blades on calys. I am very happy about this. Probably Spyderco solved the problem
The Deacon wrote: As for me, I'd be thrilled to see a return of the Micarata Caly Jr. but, given Sal's disinclination to use Micarta, I doubt it will happen.
Agree, but I will be perfectly happy with polished g10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Ignaz wrote:I would also like to see a micarta Calypso but I can understand why Sal doesn't want to use it. However I would like to know why Spyderco has such problems using micarta while Al Mar knives for example doesn't. Their ultralight series is very similar to the micarta Calypsos and are also made by Moki. They don't appear to have any problems with the micarta warping or breaking. Does anyone know why?
I recall Sal mentioning that they see a lot of shifting or shrinkage in the Micarta when the knives come from Japan to Colorado's more arid environment for QC and distribution. I don't know if Al Mar has the same business practices, importing to Oregon from Japan, but the coastal region is undoubtedly more humid and may mitigate the Micarta's movement in their respective models.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'd love to see a ZDP or Super Blue sprint on the FRN Caly Jr without changing anything else about the original. I've always loved the swedge/rounded spine of this knife and wish that all the leaf-shaped models (Like the Manix and Sage) had it as well. Very comfortable.
Tim
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

I would like to see a caly jr sprint in cobalt special with blue frn and adjustable pivot screw.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Caly Jr is the only Caly series model that I have not owned. The Caly series has become my favorite so I would be pretty stoked about a Jr sprint.
paladin

Post by paladin »

bh49 wrote:True, but for some reasons I never heard about warped blades on calys. I am very happy about this. Probably Spyderco solved the problem

Agree, but I will be perfectly happy with polished g10.
copy that...on both counts!!!

own 2 of every flavor Caly Jr., except SS...pretty sure I got on the Caly Jr. bandwagon pretty early in production and all mine are perfectly straight...no hint of bending...glad that I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess :D

Micarta is nice in a boutique sort of way, but for my money and use, G10 owns the field hands down...G10 can really be dressed up with polishing, macro texturing, & colored plies...

a polished G10 Caly Jr. would be the cat's pajamas...all the style with more stability, what's not to love?...

I know all you guys have seen the scales of the Hungarian & Vallotten-- CLASSY!!! :cool:

BTW, thanks Paul for your answer to my query :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Holland

Post by Holland »

I will buy any caly jr sprint
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

The Caly Jrs (and 3s) are my all-time favorite Spyderco knives. I think the Sprint run of gray FRN Jrs a few years back were incredible, and the vintage micarta version is still total class. Re a Sprint run: I would love to see a toxic/lime green H1 version in both PE and SE--especially because of the ergos and the choil.