Kiwi 4's are almost here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Kiwi 4's are almost here

Post by Tdog »

Just got my order in at the dealer in Michigan :D
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

They have landed?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yep, looks like they just arrived. Howe's had a few in stock earlier today, but it looks like they're all
sold out at this time.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Wow, priced same as paramilitary camo.... that is sick.
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm very happy to see these, but I think I'm going to have to pump the brakes a bit. Maybe next month or so. I've waited a long time for this, but the Cruwear Manix and S90V Yo2 cost a pretty penny. Found a black Lum Tanto Folder the other day as well...couldn't pass it up.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

SpyderNut wrote:Yep, looks like they just arrived. Howe's had a few in stock earlier today, but it looks like they're all
sold out at this time.
I think I must have got the last one. I received an order confirmation. Now it shows available on 7/31. I have been holding off on other purchases waiting on this one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have one more purchase in mind before this one since this is regular production but it's only a matter of time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

tap78 wrote:Wow, priced same as paramilitary camo.... that is sick.
Sarcasm? I've been waiting for this one but it's too expensive for me. Can't help but notice it's 5x the price of the last kiwi. It looks amazing though, can't wait for some reviews.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

avocadobbq wrote:Sarcasm? I've been waiting for this one but it's too expensive for me. Can't help but notice it's 5x the price of the last kiwi. It looks amazing though, can't wait for some reviews.
If you mean the last Kiwi, as in the non locking Chinese version, then yeah there's a reason for that. They share a name and a design but not much else.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

avocadobbq wrote:Sarcasm? I've been waiting for this one but it's too expensive for me. Can't help but notice it's 5x the price of the last kiwi. It looks amazing though, can't wait for some reviews.
MSRP is exactly the same as that of the last "real" Kiwi was in 2009. Sure the "Chinese Gooseberries" are a lot cheaper, but they're non-locking, use a lower quality steel, and are made in China rather than by Spyderco's best Japanese maker.

As for the new Kiwi 4. Thanks to Sal, I've had one for about 4 months now. If you like the G-10/VG-10 versions of the Caly 3 and 3.5, and are looking for similar quality and features in a more compact 3" bladed wharncliffe folder, you'll love it, since that's exactly what you will be getting. OTOH, if you loved the non-tactical elegance of the older bolster and scales Kiwis from Moki, you'll have to keep looking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don't know that g10 makes a knife tactical.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I don't know that g10 makes a knife tactical.
G-10 doesn't, per se. Smooth, polished G-10, can be quite attractive and civilized looking. But, IMHO, peel ply G-10, visible screws, and a clip definitely make for more tactical look than that of the original Kiwi. Same thing with the C54 Calypso. To my eyes, the brown peel-ply G-10 version gives off a more tactical vibe than the original polished Micarta. Granted, it may just be the illusion of "tacticality", just like painting my SUV flat tan wouldn't suddenly turn it into an MRAP, but it would certainly make it less attractive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm almost tempted to hold out for a stainless version, which seems only logical to me. Hopefully if it happens it'll get rounded scales instead of flat but that may not work too well with the clip.
~David