New Police 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New Police 3

Post by MacLaren »

Got this as a gift for a family member. And I find that the Police 3 takes a lot more torque per say to get open than any other of my Spydies. Is this normal for Police 3 models? Its not gritty or anything like that, its just the initial forcr it takes to get her open. I really appreciate the help. Pics to follow later...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mine are pretty smooth, but yes I would say they take more initial force than say the Caly 3. Perhaps it's just a spring tension thing due to the larger blade. Maybe someone can compare to the Ulize and that would possibly answer the question. They are of comparable size and I would guess share a similar (if not identical) lockbar spring.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx xceptnl. That eases my mind. Like I say and what you said, its very smooth, just takes more torque than the Caly 3.5
I'm thinking it will break in just like anything else though. I went ahead and put a couple drops of M-Pro 7 on her.
Its a very well built knife. Actually, it came from Amazon as having a small cosmetic blemish - but I honestly cannot find one.
Got it for $100 shipped so, its certainly worth a try and it seems to have paid off.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MacLaren wrote:Thanx xceptnl. That eases my mind. Like I say and what you said, its very smooth, just takes more torque than the Caly 3.5
I'm thinking it will break in just like anything else though. I went ahead and put a couple drops of M-Pro 7 on her.
Its a very well built knife. Actually, it came from Amazon as having a small cosmetic blemish - but I honestly cannot find one.
Got it for $100 shipped so, its certainly worth a try and it seems to have paid off.
That is a fair price. I believe I paid around that for mine, but mine was second-hand. A solid knife for sure and for me it carries easier and less noticeably than the Para 2 or Military (likely due to the thin cross-section)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

This knife cuts like a frickin lazer outta the box :)
VG10 is some mighty fine steel imo.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

The old SS police is the one that got me hooked. When the 3 came out I had to have one. It is another example of Spyderco's constant design improvements and truly a timeless design. Enjoy your new knife.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

billy blade wrote:The old SS police is the one that got me hooked. When the 3 came out I had to have one. It is another example of Spyderco's constant design improvements and truly a timeless design. Enjoy your new knife.
Thank you sir.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine is smooth. The spring is a bit "lighter" that my C54 Calypso Sprint, but a bit "heavier" than my Caly 3.5 and considerably heavier that a couple of my SS Police models. OTOH, the SS Police is TD carry only, so there's less chance of an accidental kinetic partial opening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:Mine is smooth. The spring is a bit "lighter" that my C54 Calypso Sprint, but a bit "heavier" than my Caly 3.5 and considerably heavier that a couple of my SS Police models. OTOH, the SS Police is TD carry only, so there's less chance of an accidental kinetic partial opening.
Thanx Paul. That makes sense. I'm gonna have to get one of these for myself.
Super cool Spydie.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

PICS always welcome :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

billy blade wrote:PICS always welcome :D
You got it Billy. Pics .....or it didn't happen ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ok guys/gals I thought I would go ahead and include pics of the new Resilience that came in today as well. Its a birthday gift for my nephew who is turning 13. And I must say I am just totally impressed with it! The Police was born on April this year and the Resilience last month. Now, w/out any further ado....

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Police was pretty much dead center and the Resilience was just a hair off. Very,very pleased w/both models. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My Ulize is very smooth, but definitely takes a little more pressure/torque to open than it's smaller counterparts in my collection...I think the weight of the blade has a lot to do with it (The grind specifically...it's full width almost to the tip). It will take more force to move it from rest because it's heavier, but once moving it's going to want to go the rest of the way. I can thumb flick my Ulize open quite easily, and lockbacks are harder to thumb flick typically than frame locks/liner locks/ ball bearing locks for a number of reasons. My BattleStation also thumb flicks very easily...more easily than my FFG lighter weight lockbacks.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I really like the Ulize too. I bet its built very well.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

OOOOHyehhh now I am going to take mine out of the Spydiepac and carry it a while. I forgot about the swedge. It been awhile since it has seen pocket time.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I was going to buy a Police 3...I was holding it in my local knife store and saw the lone Ulize he had under the counter. I knew nothing about it, and was **** tempted by the Police, but as soon as I held the Ulize I knew I'd leave with it. I'll probably still buy a Police 3 at some point, but the Ulize booted it many notches down my "Want list"...not because I don't like the Police, but because I only need one knife of this size and type, at least until I fill a few more gaps in my collection that are more pressing.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden