Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yes, pleeeeease keep the cobra hood !.Without cobra hood it has no charm.And add an H1 serrated blade.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Carrying mine today in honor of this thread. Between this and the possible future Caly Jr. I can think of no other Spydies..... believe it or not.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's the spirit Landon!

Any updated you can throw our way Sal? :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Will be a wait and see for me , had the Ti and the SS models . The clip was a turn off for me never could warm up to grabbing to my pocket. Loved the design actually the SS model was very refined compared to the Ti . Regards MG2
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Was SG-2 steel ever mentioned?
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Will be a wait and see for me , had the Ti and the SS models . The clip was a turn off for me never could warm up to grabbing to my pocket. Loved the design actually the SS model was very refined compared to the Ti . Regards MG2
Weird, but understood. I've compared my SS models to my Ti model and the Ti model just seems to win in every aspect...But that's the great thing about the forum, so many different points of view.
D
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Giving this thread a little bump.

I found this post by Sal on the British Blades forum

"Posted: 24-07-14, 03:48 PM
Re: Spyderco ATR
We're waiting for a response from our maker to see if they can make it.

sal"

Dang, I thought it was a done deal.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Re:

Post by ManixFan »

kaukol wrote:Oh yes, ATR with Ti handle, no cobra hood and deep wire clip definately would be a dream come true.
It isn't an ATR without the cobra hood. I would be less interested in the knife in that config....although I would still get one.

But my dream ATR would retain the hood, have grippy Peel Ply CF (like the new Yojimbo S90V, CF Native 5 S110V, Manix 2 XL S90V) and a boutique steel.

As for steels....something that would make it "special". SS - S90V, S110V or if LC200 demonstrates good edge retention perhaps a sprint with this steel. For non-SS, something a little rust resistant and tough......3V, CruWear,9V or 10V.

Gotta take a nap now......so I can get my "dream ATR" early. :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

And this....

"Posted: 12-03-14, 10:21 PM
Our first choice would be 6Al4V Ti.

sal"

So does that mean it would be made with titanium scales instead of stainless steel? Thats awesome!

@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Re:

Post by ManixFan »

D-Roc wrote:
Manix Guy 2 wrote:Will be a wait and see for me , had the Ti and the SS models . The clip was a turn off for me never could warm up to grabbing to my pocket. Loved the design actually the SS model was very refined compared to the Ti . Regards MG2
Weird, but understood. I've compared my SS models to my Ti model and the Ti model just seems to win in every aspect...But that's the great thing about the forum, so many different points of view.
D
Yeah, actually forgot about the clip.....that original one would HAVE to go. With the steel/Ti scales covering the skeletonized liners, it just wouldn't make sense aesthetically. The clip should be a brand new Spyderco deep carry design that is hopefully Ti that is dulled through stonewashing so that it retains an element of not having attention drawn to any SS shininess and the dull greyish Ti would also blend into blue jeans without calling attention to itself.

Okay......now it's time for my nap. ;)

Later edit: Not sure what I meant with that sentence in bold font since it doesn't make sense as the skeletonized Ti/SS frame of the original ATR are the liners. I gave my head a shake when I read that - perhaps I was thinking of G10/Cf covering the skeletonized frame/liners and typed out the wrong thing? I dunno - but for anyone who read that and was confused....so was I when I re-read it :o
Last edited by ManixFan on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:And this....

sal"

So does that mean it would be made with titanium scales instead of stainless steel? Thats awesome!
Ok.....Ti is still cool ........but please change the clip to a deep carry Ti spoon type clip.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

ManixFan wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:And this....

sal"

Ok.....Ti is still cool ........but please change the clip to a deep carry Ti spoon type clip.
A wide deep carry Ti spoon clip can still have round cutouts to match the holes in the frame. Perhaps, the holes being a little smaller so as not to weaken the clip too much. I do love the blade shape on the ATR though!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Yes I am in. I don't own anything with a cobra hood and I am curious to try it out. I also plain old just love the design of the ATR.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thinking more about ATR sprint, I feel that absence of cobra hood will be a deal breaker for me. Narrow hood will be OK. G10 or CF scales will be appreciated. Also replacement of an old clip with wire clip will be great. Low riding even better.
gbelleh

Re: Re:

Post by gbelleh »

ManixFan wrote:With the steel/Ti scales covering the skeletonized liners, it just wouldn't make sense aesthetically. The clip should be a brand new Spyderco deep carry design that is hopefully Ti that is dulled through stonewashing so that it retains an element of not having attention drawn to any SS shininess and the dull greyish Ti would also blend into blue jeans without calling attention to itself.
Scales covering skeletonized liners? I hope not!

I agree about the cobra hood. I like the hood on the original ATR, and it's one of its defining features, along with the holes throughout the handle, and compression lock. But, a slightly redesigned clip with a bit less of a vice grip on the pocket would be a very welcome change.
:bug-red-white
ManixFan

Re: Re:

Post by ManixFan »

gbelleh wrote:
ManixFan wrote:With the steel/Ti scales covering the skeletonized liners, it just wouldn't make sense aesthetically. The clip should be a brand new Spyderco deep carry design that is hopefully Ti that is dulled through stonewashing so that it retains an element of not having attention drawn to any SS shininess and the dull greyish Ti would also blend into blue jeans without calling attention to itself.
Scales covering skeletonized liners? I hope not!

I agree about the cobra hood. I like the hood on the original ATR, and it's one of its defining features, along with the holes throughout the handle, and compression lock. But, a slightly redesigned clip with a bit less of a vice grip on the pocket would be a very welcome change.
Scales cover skeletonized liners in most Spyderco sprints.....or in the case of some production models like the Domino the Ti under the CF laminate liner IS skeletonized. But I think I know what you mean......you just really like the look of the holes in the bare steel I think which would match the skeletonizing of the other side.

If you look at the picture on the first page of this thread the clip is shown on the wrong face of the knife for tip up carry (facing the seam of the pocket) - even though it is tip up carry (but only properly oriented for left pocket carry for lefties). Wait a minute :confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually now that I look at it that picture on the first page of the thread is an impossibility - it's only possible in "Wonderland" or "through the looking glass" if you will ;)

This is the true pic of clip orientation - in the pic shown on the first page of this thread the lower photo of the knife is a mirror image of what it should be - otherwise the blade facing that direction should have the compression lock side showing - not the cut out.
ATR realconfig.jpg
ATR realconfig.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
So now that you can see the real orientation of the knife, I would suggest keeping the Ti bare on the clip side shown above along with the required cutout in the Ti to disengage the lock and then cover the other side in either G10 or better yet a CF of sorts (scales a la Southard or Domino) - either Peel Ply or a laminate over G10 like the blue weave Domino. This G10/CF scale would also then act as a backstop to prevent over-extension of the Ti compression locking bar when disengaging the lock.

Also, if you want to - for the sake of matching the aesthetics of the clip side, you could also drill out holes in the CF/G10 scale on the non-clip presentation side to match the holes in the underlying skeletonized Ti frame. Then the holes would match up the ones on the other side with the bare Ti the way it does in the original knife - but with a CF scale surface as well.

Or alternatively you could also just leave the presentation side completely intact. Either way it would still be a beautiful version of an ATR, and a grippy Peel Ply CF scale on at least one scale face would add quite a bit to having a more secure grip on the handle than having both sides being bare Ti.

At least that's my 5 cents worth on the issue (we no longer use pennies up here in Canada).
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be interested if this knife came back. This thread has me poking around for an ATR in the second hand market now :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Manixfan, I pretty much want the sprint to look like the one in your picture, but with an updated clip. No other mods necessary for me. Sal has expressed interest in modifying the cobra hood to a lower profile, which sounds good. Other than that just give me the ATR as it was in its original titanium/SS thin profile glory!

@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Manixfan, I pretty much want the sprint to look like the one in your picture, but with an updated clip. No other mods necessary for me. Sal has expressed interest in modifying the cobra hood to a lower profile, which sounds good. Other than that just give me the ATR as it was in its original titanium/SS thin profile glory!
Although, I would prefer the knife that I described as a CQI improvement (last word I guess is a little redundant) - I would also be definitely be happy with the past configuration as well with the minor variation in reducing the cobra hood. But I think from a few other past postings that some others have mentioned that adding a scale would be an improvement as well - especially if it were Peel Ply CF. I suppose Spyderco is capable of making a few prototypes and deciding what is or isn't an true CQI.

I actually handled an Assist tonight that has a Cobra Hood and found that although it looks cool - there is a bit of a foreign feel to it. The ONLY advantage I could see - which makes sense in that model would be opening it with gloved hands - where it would definitely be a help. So I would agree that the slimming down of the hood would be a great idea. That way it's there if you need it and it also doesn't get in the way when you don't.

With bare hands, I actually found myself preferring the plain round opening hole that is standard in most models over the hood on the Assist - which was quite a surprise to me since I REALLY like the aesthetics of the hood.
Peter Parker

Post by Peter Parker »

I would purchase an updated A.T.R.

I want to see one with a stainless we haven't seen used before in the A.T.R.