CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:Ah who cares anyway. Am I the only one who didn't buy these for investment? When I get mine I'm gonna pick the one with the nicest overall F&F and set it aside for future use, then ship the other off for a regrind before it ever gets used. Then I'm gonna swap my G10 scales on it and grind down the tang to match the handle. Warranties and resale value are for the birds :D
At least one of us is just thinking in terms of the penalty for deciding we want this later, after KW sells all they've got. ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:Ah who cares anyway. Am I the only one who didn't buy these for investment? When I get mine I'm gonna pick the one with the nicest overall F&F and set it aside for future use, then ship the other off for a regrind before it ever gets used. Then I'm gonna swap my G10 scales on it and grind down the tang to match the handle. Warranties and resale value are for the birds :D
My second one will be a back up for sure, or a gift to my kid someday down the line lol. So you have no interest in the cf scale??
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

How dare you! =)

I'll cross my fingers for you.

I'm going to use mine. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I have to say that I'm pretty shocked that the Yo2 is still available.
I am not. With all due respect Yo2 is not even close to be as hot as Para or Military
tvenuto wrote:+1 on this, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see one go for $400 in the not so distant future.
Nothing really should surprise us in this life, but I consider CF/S90V Yo2 catching $400 is very unlikely even in the near future, unless inflation became really bad.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm with you Roman.

The M390/CF Military doesn't sell for $400 and the Military is a much more popular model. I would be surprised if I saw the Manix 2 XL sell for $400.

That's why at the beginning of the thread I was wondering why they chose to do the Yo 2 and Manix 2 XL. Two mildly popular models don't seem like the best options for exclusives. A Para 2 sprint with a different CF and different steel I could see being popular because of the fan following.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:David, you are the epitome of a user and I salute you.
Life is short man. I hope to leave a lot of knives and things for my kids, but I want them all to be well worn and have all the character that I can put into them, so that every time my son uses one of my knives, he sees the use I put into them and thinks about me using them. He'll have a lot of memories of me and knives I'm sure.
JNewell wrote:At least one of us is just thinking in terms of the penalty for deciding we want this later, after KW sells all they've got. ;)
I bought 2 because I know I won't be willing to pay secondary market prices. ****, the asking price was steep enough, if it were any other model (besides maybe a Manix 2) I probably wouldn't have bought it. The fact that this could also be the only Yo 2 sprint/exclusive we ever see is also good motivation. Opportunity only knocks so many times ya know.
Liquid Cobra wrote:My second one will be a back up for sure, or a gift to my kid someday down the line lol. So you have no interest in the cf scale??
Oh I do, but I have to work on modifying it in the same way I did the G10 version. I know absolutely nothing about modding CF, like do I need to reseal it after grinding on it? Etc.
Donut wrote:How dare you! =)

I'll cross my fingers for you.

I'm going to use mine. :)
Bravo!
Donut wrote:I'm with you Roman.

The M390/CF Military doesn't sell for $400 and the Military is a much more popular model. I would be surprised if I saw the Manix 2 XL sell for $400.

That's why at the beginning of the thread I was wondering why they chose to do the Yo 2 and Manix 2 XL. Two mildly popular models don't seem like the best options for exclusives. A Para 2 sprint with a different CF and different steel I could see being popular because of the fan following.
I've wondered this as well, but I'm happy it happened. I think perhaps when these two knives were planned, both models were either new (the XL) or hot (Yo 2) and that may have had some influence. I do think that the XL in the long run will be a very sought after knife, but time will tell. The Yo has the ability to be really exclusive, given the scarcity of the model and being an exclusive, so that alone may drive up resale in the future. The fact that the standard Yo 2 is still hard to find is a reasonably indication of popularity, though it could also just be low production numbers too. I'm a little surprised this one isn't selling much faster.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Life is short man. I hope to leave a lot of knives and things for my kids, but I want them all to be well worn and have all the character that I can put into them, so that every time my son uses one of my knives, he sees the use I put into them and thinks about me using them. He'll have a lot of memories of me and knives I'm sure.
That's a **** of a reason to make every knife in your collection (gathering, flock, whateever) a user. So they are all YOURS. I support your logic.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

Donut wrote: I would be surprised if I saw the Manix 2 XL sell for $400.
Someone just put one up on BF for the outrageous price of $450 :eek: !!!!! Described as just received so I'm guessing it's one that was just ordered from KW too. That's an increase of $200 in just a few days!

If it sells, well then I will eat my shorts. And I just worked out and they're all sweaty and gross so I hope I don't have to. Pretty sure it won't though. I sold mine off NIB a few weeks ago at $225 and it still took a while for someone to claim it. The XL is just too big a knife and S90V is not as sought after now that there are production knives in S110V for half the price.

Now if it were a CPM 3V Manix2XL, then we'd be talking :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hey guys I'm selling a couple NIB S90V Yojimbo 2's, $999.95 each, never cut anything or been carried LOL.
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: The M390/CF Military doesn't sell for $400 and the Military is a much more popular model. I would be surprised if I saw the Manix 2 XL sell for $400.
True. Still Manix2 XL was sold quite fast, not as fast as most of paras, but much faster than any BB exclusive. Yo2 will be sold too. This is all what matters for a dealer. I am happy that I got my big M in CF/S90V.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:Hey guys I'm selling a couple NIB S90V Yojimbo 2's, $999.95 each, never cut anything or been carried LOL.
Would you accept a trade? I've got two jars of peanut butter, lightly used but still with the original edge. One is crunchy and the other creamy let me know what you think!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:Life is short man. I hope to leave a lot of knives and things for my kids, but I want them all to be well worn and have all the character that I can put into them, so that every time my son uses one of my knives, he sees the use I put into them and thinks about me using them. He'll have a lot of memories of me and knives I'm sure.
I try to live by this, but I have to admit the OCD in me makes it hard!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Invective wrote:Would you accept a trade? I've got two jars of peanut butter, lightly used but still with the original edge. One is crunchy and the other creamy let me know what you think!

Hmmmmm....Peter Pan or Jiff?
Liquid Cobra wrote:I try to live by this, but I have to admit the OCD in me makes it hard!

It's hard sometimes. I work sort of backwards from how most people think...when you pay a lot of money for something, people often avoid using it for fear of damage and that first scratch, but for me I have to commit to using it before I'll allow myself to spend that much on it, otherwise I have other hobbies to blow money on.
~David
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The Military in Cruwear was pretty readily available for a long time, too. I'm surprised the Yo2 is still available but still believe these will be a hot commodity at some point. Because these aren't as popular as the PM2s, you may never see another version of the knife (until a Yo3).
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:Hmmmmm....Peter Pan or Jiff?
Neither, it's from Trader Joes. Organic, mmmmm healthy for you, none of that processed stuff!

Evil D wrote: It's hard sometimes. I work sort of backwards from how most people think...when you pay a lot of money for something, people often avoid using it for fear of damage and that first scratch, but for me I have to commit to using it before I'll allow myself to spend that much on it, otherwise I have other hobbies to blow money on.
I'm the same way. If I'm paying that kind of money, I want it to be on something I'll use and enjoy and not stare at because it's pretty. First thing I did when I got my 204P PM2 and S90V/CPM154 PM2 was send them to Mr. Jim Ankerson for testing, for a few reasons. One was because neither had been tested before by him and I was curious how they'd perform, and two because the edges they are sent back with are the sharpest I have ever seen!
Cujobob wrote:The Military in Cruwear was pretty readily available for a long time, too. I'm surprised the Yo2 is still available but still believe these will be a hot commodity at some point. Because these aren't as popular as the PM2s, you may never see another version of the knife (until a Yo3).
It's still available for under 2 bills at CS! I thought about picking one up but passed on it, my one user is enough.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Spyderco should go public. Or we should consider day trading.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:Hey guys I'm selling a couple NIB S90V Yojimbo 2's, $999.95 each, never cut anything or been carried LOL.
Selling is forbidden on this forum. At 9134 posts I think you would know that ;)

I'll take both of them BTW.

@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh, cool David, I see you started work for Bento already. ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I didn't realize the Manix 2XL CF S90v has been out since at least '09. My bad fellas, I think what I saw was a standard Manix 2.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

MacLaren wrote:I didn't realize the Manix 2XL CF S90v has been out since at least '09. My bad fellas, I think what I saw was a standard Manix 2.
I didnt knowmthat either. Didnt they just get 50 more in to complete their order a short time ago? I am confused! How many total were produced?