Info on the dice, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonny

Info on the dice, please

Post by Sonny »

Not sure whether I want one, even though the blade-steel is excellent.
I like blades less than 3" for gifting to relatives from other states. I have various Sage models and Natives.
I like a long enough grip to hold onto, and the Sage 2 is a pretty good minimal length.
I am not seeing many Dice "for sale" ads at all on various forums, and question just how popular this model is, when looking at the price tag. It seems to be rather strange to see such limited advertising on a new model.
Sonny
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When you don't see "for sale" ads on the forums, it can mean a knife is not popular, or that the folks who buy them consider them "keepers", or that it's only been out a short time, or a combination of those factors.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thanx for the replies. Yes, it is pricey and the model is awfully new. The carbon fiber is nice, though, and I might just pick one up. One nice thing...I know I can resell without taking a major loss, if it's not a keeper.
Spyderco is where it's at.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

- best wishes, Jazz.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I think it's a bit of a niche item. Most people who get flippers don't purchase the small versions. They're generally the least popular (the Curtiss F3 flippers can be found regularly for the medium and large versions, as an example). With that said, it's probably a very nice blade and I know the Domino flips really well and is very ergonomic. Most people tend to flock to the Caly 3.5 instead of the 3, I think it's the same thing here. The resale may be affected slightly by this lesser popularity but not too much. The reduced size doesn't decrease the cost to actually manufacture the product by much, either, so I don't think it's surprising that it's similarly priced to the Domino. It just came out so it may decrease in price after a while.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

best price i found was on gpknives

http://www.gpknives.com/index.html

ordered one on monday, can't wait for it to arrive. I like knives that are smaller than 3 inches.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I would buy a larger sized Domino....say larger than a Manix 2 but just shy of the Manix 2XL with a bit narrower of a leaf blade.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm with ManixFan. That sounds really, really good!
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

MachSchnell wrote:Big blades are cool and all, but I find that nearly any cutting task can be equally accomplished with these mighty-mini blades (or LBKs.) And in some cases smaller blades are more appropriate and controllable, not to mention more jurisdiction friendly. I may be biased because the area in which I work has blade length restrictions.

Once the blade reaches a certain length, it almost seems more feasible to just carry and use a fixed blade.
A Manix 2 XL or even a G10 Police 3 which is a little over 4" is still much preferable to me than a fixed blade and still very much more pocketable. The G10 Police 3 carries extremely thin and unobtrusively in a front pocket.....probably better than a Domino from what I can recall from my store visit (I am still waiting on restocking of the G10 Police 3 SE at my local store for purchasing one.......I should have grabbed it after trying it out the first time in store)

A perfect upsized Domino would add about another half inch total blade length while keeping the same base width and thinning out to the same last 1.5" of tip profile. Actually if you place a Domino overtop a Manix 2 XL the Domino is almost exactly the same blade shape except with the Manix 2 XL having slightly more belly near the tip.

A half inch longer Stretch with the improved choil would also be an incredibly great knife IMHO .....with Peel Ply CF checkerboard scales and either ZDP-189 or some new exotic stainless alloy.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got both the Domino and the Dice. Both are extremely high quality, well-made flippers. The ergonomics of both are really nice - and they are almost identical except for the size. I find that the Dice might be a bit small for some hands - from time to time I have trouble getting a good grip on it to flip with enough force to fully deploy. YMMV.

Also, keep in mind that both the Dice and Domino are relatively heavy/dense knives for their size. If you are used to lighter weight folders (e.g., Para2, Endura/Delica, Stretch), these will weigh down your pockets a bit more than you might expect.

TedP
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

My Spyderco of choice for EDC has been the Dragonfly2 in ZDP-189 for the past few years. The Dice is the first new model that I've enjoyed carrying regularly. I've bought the Cat & the Leaf Storm, but they end up staying at home because I don't think they offer much over the DF2. The Dragonfly provides an ideal combination of size, weight, & utility. The Dice, although much heavier, is a nice complement as it offers a slightly larger blade, robust build, comfortable grip, precise construction, excellent lock, & great bearing pivot for the flipper. It feels like a much bigger knife that fills a heavier duty role. It is a fantastic knife that is reasonably sized for my actual needs.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I just got mine from KW's 4th of July sale $167, It is a perfect size, I thought it would be smaller but it is a really nice size.