Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Invective

Post by Invective »

The Mastiff wrote:OK Sal, I'll give it my best shot. A new, fine grained CTS steel called BDZ1
http://www.cartech.com/ssalloysprod.aspx?id=4395

Carpenter has been on a roll and has given us some good steels. We'll see. Thanks Sal.

Joe
I thought BDZ-1 was used by Kershaw in one of their Blur runs wasn't it? I would be down for a 40CP mule though, love the 440C in my Cat and would love to try a powdered version. There was a maker on BF who did a few knives in 40CP and I was tempted to pick one up just try it out.

Also, I can't be the only one hoping for a Japanese steel like HAP-72 or SLD Magic though can I?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

ManixFan wrote:Wow, "one shot" is usually never a Win-Win situation. I think an Angel just got their wings. :D
The Mastiff wrote:OK Sal, I'll give it my best shot. A new, fine grained CTS steel called BDZ1
http://www.cartech.com/ssalloysprod.aspx?id=4395

Carpenter has been on a roll and has given us some good steels. We'll see. Thanks Sal.

Joe
Invective wrote:I thought BDZ-1 was used by Kershaw in one of their Blur runs wasn't it? I would be down for a 40CP mule though, love the 440C in my Cat and would love to try a powdered version. There was a maker on BF who did a few knives in 40CP and I was tempted to pick one up just try it out.

Also, I can't be the only one hoping for a Japanese steel like HAP-72 or SLD Magic though can I?
Correct. It was the Kershaw Tanto Blur in BDZ-1 (1670TBLKBDZ).

I'm in for two of whatever Mule Sal has to offer!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I'd be surprised if CTS-BDZ1 is the next Mule Team. I recall Sal speaking at one of the fan meets (think it was one in Amsterdam) years back that he had a minimum threshold of 0.9% carbon content in steels used for Spyderco blades.

The Mule Team steels used bear that out so far but the Mule Team Project is for testing and maybe that means there is a chance of seeing it (and other similarly classed steels). CTS-BDZ1 looks like an analog of Sandvik 12C27? Would be "interesting" to see the forum discussions generated from the testing of this class of steel.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm thinking Z-FiNit for our next Mule
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I actually got confused on this one. I meant to put BD4P, but too late now. Good thing I had saved up to send the donation in later this month. https://www.cartech.com/ssalloysprod.aspx?id=4396 Anybody recognize the composition? :)

While we are on the subject though the BDZ1 should be a good steel. Having had good luck with 420HC which is run at a decent hardness in Buck base line knives, and liking 12C, 13C, and 14C Sandvik's steels, Aus 6, even 440A, I'm not really perturbed about the low carbon/no vanadium make up of this steel. I also really like O-1 and W2 and they sometimes don't have as much abrasive wear resistance as the stainless steels in this category. They do take sharp edges and have good grains when done properly. Not so 440C though. I'd sooner have them than 440C. Ingot 440C anyway. I'm still waiting to try the powder version. Sal gave it a good review so chances are good I'd like it.

Whatever steel it is I'm not going to get bent out of shape. Sal hasn't led us astray yet. If it's there the steel has potential and there is a reason it's there. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tap78

Post by tap78 »

The Mastiff wrote:Anybody recognize the composition? :)
"Carpenter's stainless alloy, analog of the Crucible CPM154 steel" ?
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Did I read this wrong, or did Sal just reveal the next Mule Team steel? (from the Sal vs. The Mastiff thread)
sal wrote:We probably wouldn't do that with a Mule Team as we're trying to get the "piece of steel" to the customer at a cost effective price. Also, Maxamet is 3 times more expensive that any other boutique steel, so it will be expensive anyway.

sal
I'll definitely be getting it, whatever steel it winds up being.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I thought Sal had stated the Maxamet is coming later. I'm getting confused.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

It's *entirely* possible I misread or misunderstood Sal's post :) .

I'm still ready to play with another Mule, even though I have several still needing handles to be made...
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's *entirely* possible I misread or misunderstood Sal's post .

I'm still ready to play with another Mule, even though I have several still needing handles to be made...
I'm misreading it too then. I am confused. We will find out when we find out. As I said I was going to write a check to the Childrens hospital on payday this month even before this came up. I had been working on it for about 3 months.

It's tough being retired. I used to just go get extra hours when I needed money. Indeed food has gotten pretty darn expensive. Steaks are $9.99 on up here yesterday. Yep, I remember the good old days...*pulls up pants real high and yells at kids to get off the lawn*....

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:I thought Sal had stated the Maxamet is coming later. I'm getting confused.
FWIW Joe, that's the way I read it too. He's intimated before that he generally has at least a couple steels "future Mule steels queue".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If you go to this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post945426

and look at Post 43 Sal says:

"We've ordered enough Maxamet to make a Mule Team run, but they first have to make the material, so it will be a while.

sal"

I think he said there are 2 or 3 Mules in front of the Maxamet mule somewhere in another thread..
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Philo Beddoe wrote:If you go to this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post945426

and look at Post 43 Sal says:

"We've ordered enough Maxamet to make a Mule Team run, but they first have to make the material, so it will be a while.

sal"

I think he said there are 2 or 3 Mules in front of the Maxamet mule somewhere in another thread..
+1

That is exactly what I recall....without any thread searching.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I was reading through this thread and saw this comment by Sal..........I looked on the bombshell thread since that quote was made and couldn't find any reference to it in the bombshell thread.

I don't know if LC 200 is currently on the "mule track" but it was once considered by Spyderco as a possibility.

I guess this might qualify as a "bombshell" on a long fuse?
sal wrote:I guess we can consider a mule in LC?

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm pretty sure this qualifies!
Sal Glesser wrote:It's certainly possible. I did have thoughts of a Manbug Salt with a serrated sheepfoot blade.

sal
Posted earlier today on BF here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... anBug-Salt

Love it!!! :D :D :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Oh wow that sounds amazing! Please Sal make it come true.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Fascinating...very fascinating...
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Would be nicer in PE.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

A small hint that there are at least two new locking mechanisms being considered for the future Sage releases.
sal wrote:Thre are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks.

sal
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd have to buy an lc or maxamet mule.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!