Southard Black Blade Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TBob

Southard Black Blade Review

Post by TBob »

I have been intrigued with the idea of a flipper. I never owned one before, but had a chance to play with some custom flippers about a week ago. The Southard had an overall shape and design that appealed to me, but I'm not crazy about brown scales. Then I learned that the black blade version of the Southard had been released last month, so I took the plunge. I'm glad that I did.

The Black Blade sports impecible fit and finish. The construction is as exquisite as it is solid. The G10 scale grips nicely, but not so aggressively as to be difficult to pocket. The blacked-out clip holds very tightly to the Ti side, making it a bit difficult to clip on my pocket, but there's no fear of losing it! The beefy Reeve Integral Lock solidly holds the blade open, with positive lockup. It takes significant effort to release the lock. The frame has an open back design, which makes it easy to clean and also saves some weight, to which the drilled Ti frame on the G-10 side also contributes.

The about 3.5 inch CTS-204P blade came scary sharp and centered perfectly in the frame. The blade carries the trademark Spydie hole, and its shape provides a slick continuity to the Southard's shape.

Titanium carbonitride coats the hollow-ground blade, Ti handle scales, clip, etc. The coating seems perfectly uniform and looks great. It presents a flat black finish that goes beautifully with the G-10 scale and the G-10 insert at the pivot. The silvery images and writing on the blade provide an attractive and understated contrast to the flat black blade and hardware. Though the black Southard sports a beefy construction, the Ti frame keeps the weight down to 4.1 ounces.

A tiny ball bearing "holds" the black blade closed in the frame to prevent accidental opening. The knife's balance is such that the flipper deploys the blade much more naturally than the Spydie hole, although both work. Using the Spydie hole requires me to use the clip as an anchor for my last three fingers to gain leverage for overcoming the ball bearing detent. The flipper itself doesn't interfere with inserting the Black Blade into the knife pocket of tactical pants, yet readily falls under the index finger when holding the Southard. The flipper also protects your fingers when initially releasing the blade lock. The pivot spacers have tiny ball bearings embedded to smooth the opening and closing, and succeed well. Although the blade pivot came tight, but unlike with standard spacers, the tightness does not inhibit the blade deployment. I detected no blade play of any kind. Very nice setup!

I took a shot comparing the the Southard Black Blade with a few other of my black blades plus a Stretch. From top to bottom, the Stretch CF, Southard Black Blade, Endura Black Blade, and Military Black Blade.

At a recent local knife-oriented gathering, I had a chance to extensively handle some very nice knives - Striders, Hinderers, CRK Sebenzas, etc. With that recent experience in mind, I believe that the Spyderco Southard Black Blade stands in that same league of quality. We live in an age where the tolerances of CNC and laser manufacturing can, if properly done, provide end products indistinguishable from custom handiwork - or in some cases better. The folks in Taichung, Taiwan, continue to outdo their own high quality standards, turning the talented design team's concept into a stunning reality. I've been EDCing the Southard since it hit my doorstep.

:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very,very nice! I love my Domino. I can only imagine how nice the Black Bradley a Taichung flipper would be.
Now, does CTS 204p have a comparable in Crucible's line up? I have the CTS XHP on my Domino and really like it.

Just checked and it seems like it close to Bohlers M390.
I would imagine it super nice.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Thank you for your kind words. No idea on which Crucible might be comparable to CTS 204P. I know that Carpenter is discontinuing 204P for some reason, so future versions of the Southard will need a different steel. I haven't had enough time with the Black Blade to evaluate the 204P vs. XHP. I thought about getting a Domino, but have decided that I have enough knives in the 3" blade range for now. I'm concentrating in the 3.5"-4" range which is mostly what I carry outside of work.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What a great review, I agree with everything you said except for releasing the lock. I felt the same way when I got mine, as it was my first integral lock. But after some practice I don't have any trouble unlocking it anymore. You've inspired me to carry mine today.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TBob

Post by TBob »

Thank you! Happy to have inspired you today! My frame lock has become a bit easier to disengage over the last few days. Perhaps my lock interface just needs to mutually polish a bit. The Ti lock piece is very beefy compared to my other frame locks like the Military. That's a good thing for reliability. Unlike the Gayle Bradley, the thumb cutout on the Southard is big enough to disengage the lock without difficulty. I cannot help but play with this knife while watching TV, etc.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I tend to unlock my Southard more with my index finger than with my thumb. This is the first frame/liner lock I've found myself doing that with but it's pretty instinctive now. My index finger wraps around and nests right into the lock cutout when gripping the knife, so when I go to unlock it my finger is already right there, I just press it in and push the blade down with my thumb and then bring my index finger around to close it the rest of the way.

This knife is what pushed me to buy a Southard in the first place. When pics of the black one were leaked, it got my attention enough that I went and checked out the standard version to see how I liked it, and I ended up buying it. Now that I've had it a while, I think I like it more than the black. I still think taking the black one and stonewashing the entire knife would look amazing, much like the ZT blackwash finish. If I got the black version that's likely what I would do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nccole

Post by nccole »

TBob wrote:Thank you for your kind words. No idea on which Crucible might be comparable to CTS 204P. I know that Carpenter is discontinuing 204P for some reason, so future versions of the Southard will need a different steel. I haven't had enough time with the Black Blade to evaluate the 204P vs. XHP. I thought about getting a Domino, but have decided that I have enough knives in the 3" blade range for now. I'm concentrating in the 3.5"-4" range which is mostly what I carry outside of work.
Pretty sure that was an incorrect rumor about Carpenter discontinuing 204P.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I may very **** well have to get a Southard.
I love the frame lock on both my Vallotton and Millie.
Plus, I've only got one flipper. A man needs at least 2 flippers right?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If that's true I'm gonna have to get the Rubicon!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

[quote="MacLaren"]I may very **** well have to get a Southard.
I love the frame lock on both my Vallotton and Millie.
Plus, I've only got one flipper. A man needs at least 2 flippers right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, one for each hand! :)
TBob

Post by TBob »

nccole wrote:Pretty sure that was an incorrect rumor about Carpenter discontinuing 204P.
I read that on the forums this weekend, but I cannot remember where. I'll see if I can find it again. It's possible that I misunderstood.
TBob

Post by TBob »

MacLaren wrote:Plus, I've only got one flipper. A man needs at least 2 flippers right?
Absolutely! Otherwise you'd swim in circles. :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TBob wrote:Absolutely! Otherwise you'd swim in circles. :D
Lol! Awesome.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just curious, anyone else open their Southard using their thumb on the flipper? Or am I the only one?

@liquid_cobra
TBob

Post by TBob »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Just curious, anyone else open their Southard using their thumb on the flipper? Or am I the only one?
I think that's illegal in several states here in the U.S.A., being an unnatural act. Not sure aboot the Great White North, eh.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TBob wrote:I think that's illegal in several states here in the U.S.A., being an unnatural act. Not sure aboot the Great White North, eh.
Lol.....dude, you should post more often....
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

MacLaren wrote:Lol.....dude, you should post more often....
Yup definitely a funny one!

Up here in Canada there are lots of unnatural acts that are condoned if not actually smiled upon.....haven't you seen the Jimmy Kimmel skits about our mayor?
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks for the review and pics Tbob, very informative and great to have your opinion ;)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ManixFan wrote:Yup definitely a funny one!

Up here in Canada there are lots of unnatural acts that are condoned if not actually smiled upon.....haven't you seen the Jimmy Kimmel skits about our mayor?
Cool. But, I'll check that out. I'm usually in bed before Kimel.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE