we can get a sprint E4, per Sal...steel snobs weigh in

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Invective

Post by Invective »

If the Endura gets a tough steel I will be in for at least two!! I've been looking for a tough larger folder and I've been missing my VG-10 Endura that I abused heavily, so if I can get my hands on one with XVC-11 or SKD-11/12 I would be extremely satisfied!
sal

Post by sal »

We're waiting on a sample of HAP40 to test.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

That's great news!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Invective

Post by Invective »

sal wrote:We're waiting on a sample of HAP40 to test.

sal
This is great news!! I'm in for a few of anything in this!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:We're waiting on a sample of HAP40 to test.

sal
Anyone else notice the amount of cobalt in this stuff? Looking forward to trying it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Yes because it is a high speed steel ;) i hope i will be able to pick one up...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd bet HAP 40 would cause another feeding frenzy on release date. More so than usual I mean. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dang, whoever started this thread was a persistent lil booger ;)

Honestly, what better way to try a steel out than in a platform like the FRN's where you can now do head to head with VG10, Superblue, ZDP-189, and now hopefully HAP40!! And not even break the bank at that. I really love this company...thanks Sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The Mastiff wrote:I'd bet HAP 40 would cause another feeding frenzy on release date. More so than usual I mean. :)

Joe
I've already got my bib on. I just read from the beginning and was rooting for HAP40. As for handle color, I'm maybe thinking some shade of orange. I'm definitely staying tuned, it's very cool to be able to watch this pan out and I'm excited to see the result. I have to join in thanking you Sal for being the coolest guy not named James Bond, and to the entire crew who without a doubt must love their jobs.
nccole

Post by nccole »

HAP 40 would be my choice. The M4 equivalent is hard to say no to, but I have some M4 and like trying new steels. I still need an Endura and a Caly 3.5. I was thinking of getting a waved Endura, so I would love to grab an HAP 40 Caly 3.5. I can never find a SB 3.5, so this sounds perfect. Don't care much what color it is just not black, it needs to be special!

Seems to be a little more known in the kitchen
http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/hap4 ... t2153.html
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I vote for knapped Obsidian! :D

Just kidding, but could you imagine the QC headaches involved in getting identical E4 blade shapes out of obsidian? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I do like the idea of Cowry X - if it has similar but perhaps improved performance over ZDP 189. Or whatever exotic Japanese that is a high performing stainless or semi-stainless. I haven't bought an Endura yet and was thinking of the new Damascus Ti version that is yet to be released since I missed out on the jigged bone Damascus and I always seem to get outbid on the blue version that I prefer. But if a Sprint Endura arrives (hopefully non-FRN .......I know, highly unlikely :( ) in some exotic new Japanese steel then I would have to get one just to round out my collection .....and also for the longer blade size which I like. I do love my Dragonflys and my Native 5 and Manix 2 but I think that I prefer 3.5" to 4" blades since that is where I feel most comfortable in blade size for potential use as a dinner knife - which is always a nice option with a longer EDC blade.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

twinboysdad wrote:dang, whoever started this thread was a persistent lil booger ;)

Honestly, what better way to try a steel out than in a platform like the FRN's where you can now do head to head with VG10, Superblue, ZDP-189, and now hopefully HAP40!! And not even break the bank at that. I really love this company...thanks Sal
Ok....after reading your post my Spydie senses started tingling and I re-read the first post by that "persistent lil booger ;) "

So I guess that it is sure to be an FRN Endura sprint. If it is a high performance stainless or semi-stainless that is a new steel to try then I'd pick one up. Otherwise, I think that I might just wait for the Ti Damascus version to get my first Endura.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

sal wrote:we're waiting on a sample of hap40 to test.

Sal
boom!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

nccole wrote:HAP 40 would be my choice. The M4 equivalent is hard to say no to, but I have some M4 and like trying new steels. I still need an Endura and a Caly 3.5. I was thinking of getting a waved Endura, so I would love to grab an HAP 40 Caly 3.5. I can never find a SB 3.5, so this sounds perfect. Don't care much what color it is just not black, it needs to be special!

Seems to be a little more known in the kitchen
http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/hap4 ... t2153.html
One of the chefknivestogo members says it's "supposed to be similar to M4 but tougher." That sounds great to me. My zknives android app shows it to have the same ingredients as M4 except for the huge amount of Cobalt (over 8%, but less than Cobalt 10 Special's ~11%) and less vanadium, plus it lacks M4's tiny amounts of Mn, Si, and Cu... maybe somebody will explain what all that means.

I would love to have an Endura4 (or Caly 3.5) with this steel, either solid, laminated, or both :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ManixFan wrote:Ok....after reading your post my Spydie senses started tingling and I re-read the first post by that "persistent lil booger ;) "

So I guess that it is sure to be an FRN Endura sprint. If it is a high performance stainless or semi-stainless that is a new steel to try then I'd pick one up. Otherwise, I think that I might just wait for the Ti Damascus version to get my first Endura.
I took Sal to mean a whole run of the FRN like the SB...
Holland

Post by Holland »

twinboysdad wrote:I took Sal to mean a whole run of the FRN like the SB...
Same
-Spencer

Rotation:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I do like the Super Blue Stretch and I even got a SB Dragonfly (to go with my G10 & Nishijin D'Fly) as well but as a rule I am not a fan of plasticky looking FRN knives. I have a BRG ZDP Stretch and the SB Stretch and I am currently looking for a CF Stretch user that someone wants to sell......even if the blade is all wrecked - just so that I can swap the SB blade out into the CF handle (like Jacknifeh & the Nemoknives guy). I think that I may also do the same with my SB D'Fly and then use the resulting light grey VG-10 as a neck knife due to the lightness and more corrosion resistant VG-10.

If I can do that and then the new Stretch 3 comes out in simultaneous Brown G10 and CF then I would pick up both of those and perhaps pass on my FRN Stretches (both now ZDP) to my nephews as work knives. That way I would have the current Stretch in CF SB & Blue Nishijin Damascus as well as two new version Stretches in ZDP. Perhaps I might keep the BRG version as that was my first Stretch and it has sentimental value and then I would have one available to use in working situations that I would baby less than the others. Then if a new super steel Sprint is released in one of the FRN models and not a slabbed version then I can "franken-spydie" one of these new steels into a slab handled that I am proud to pull out of my pocket. I just can't get any pride of ownership out of a FRN handled knife.

So although I would buy a sprint super steel in FRN, I would always then be looking for some way to switch the blade out into an available slabbed version where it would fit. I don't mind a couple of FRN handles but aside from the extra handle width that is sometimes nice with the FRN I really don't find FRN knives that attractive. THe other problem with FRN is that if you want to switch the scales out then you really need nested liners and that would make custom scales that much more complicated and less likely to happen for me.

I do like the Manix 2 S110V Lt Wt because it serves the purpose of having a lightweight knife and also the colour is the nicest FRN colour (along with the BRG) that I think is out there, but again, now that I have one there would be nothing to ever make me want to buy another FRN version of the Manix 2.

The sole exception to this take on FRN would be the Salt series of knives where it just makes more sense as these are intended to be used around water and when the black bladed serrated version Pacific Salt is released I would be all over that one. IMO the FRN is much cheaper looking aesthetically and only good as a pure work knife as the only redeeming factor is that I can throw them around a bit more once the blade is tucked away and/or not worry about accidental handle damage as much.

Just my 5 cents worth as we no longer deal with pennies in Canada.
Holland

Post by Holland »

You're not alone in not liking frn manixfan, but there are a lot of people (in using myself) who love frn. Strong grippy and cheap
-Spencer

Rotation:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Holland wrote:You're not alone in not liking frn manixfan, but there are a lot of people (in using myself) who love frn. Strong grippy and cheap
don't forget light...

People seem to forget that you can't get boutique steel and G10 for sub $115. I would trade G10 for FRN to get the boutique steel. Also, G10 destroys your pants even though Spyderco has some of the more pants friendly G10. I even notice the FRN pattern on my new Pingo is more pants abrasive than my SB E4. My Caly 3.5 seems more solid than my SB E4 but is it? I am not sure, just perception. That said, if another G10 E4 run comes down you can count me in-steel choice be damned.