Which Spyderco got you hooked?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
springnr

Post by springnr »

Green C65 Chinese Lum did it for me, quickly followed by the C64 Meerkat for a smaller knife.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

First was my native, though not sure if it "got me hooked". The reasoning being that it was perfect enough to where I stopped researching new models or anything else. It was just at that perfect level of doing exactly what I needed, and me being content.

However, I could not really sharpen it. I could kind of hone it, but after about a year (I know...) It just wasn't cutting it. I hopped back on the forums and got a tenacious and a sharpmaker. THAT combo got that spyderco train rolling. Luckily the cpm m4 military came out and stopped me from needing to buy any more. And I still haven't.

But, I'll say native. Plus these beautiful grinds are more photogenic than the tenacious, IMO.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Delica 4. Loved the one hand opening and quality.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
texashawk50

Post by texashawk50 »

Pm2
Enkidude

well let's see

Post by Enkidude »

The Resilience and Delica got me stoked, but I think the Centofante 3 got me hooked.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
v8r

Post by v8r »

For me it was a orange plastic clip rescue, copilot SE, Bob Lum TI folder, and the one that absolutely set the hook a Native 2 SS Plain edge. To me the Native with stainless handles was interesting, elegant, and a useful design. It was carried and heavily used for 15 years or so. I still have all of the knives that I mentioned, and will never get rid of them.

If Spyderco ever decides to build a Native 5 with smooth TI or better yet stainless handles beveled like the second model, I would be in hog heaven .
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

My first Spyderco was an Endura 4 with a saber grind. But that one didn't hook me, it was the Spyderco Delica 4 with a saber grind and the Tasmin Salt. Those were the two that served me well in South Africa.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

I have to admit that for years I absolutely hated the very sight of Spyderco knives :eek: One day I walked into my local gunshop and there was a carbon fiber Police (this was about 1998), to say I was gobsmacked doesn't begin to cover it. So I bought the knife and ordered a serrated one to match. A little research soon had me buying Police Models like a mad thing.
Phil
Xcellent

Post by Xcellent »

It was the Cricket SS for me.. Lost it a couple of months ago :(
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Tenacious
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Dferg10

Post by Dferg10 »

I bought a PE first gen Delica in 1990 while in college. I carried it every day until the mid 2000s. I still have it and carry it often. Last week, I sent my son off to college with a grey Delica 4 in his pocket. I have bought many Spydercos since then, but the Delica is still my favorite knife of all.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Police in the mid nineties followed by a Delica then a Endura both of those were FRN. Then the rest is kind of a blur. I now have over 50 folders, all the Mules, a Ronin and a swick. Love them all.
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

Hello to All,

Caly 3 & G10/S30V UKPK :)

Most excellent knives !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:For me it was the Endura. The beautiful design, the functionality, and the overall structure and carry-ableness was it. I have to say, my favorite of all time now is the Caspian Salt, but, the Endura was the one that hooked me.
Same with myself. Around 1996 or 1997 when I was in the Army a friend of mine had an Endura I with the plastic clip and I was immediately jealous and wanted one. There wasn't mainstream internet dealers then like there are now, so it took some time for me to find one. By the time I finally did, it was in 1998 when the E II's were out. Bought one, been carrying Endura's ever since. Tried many other manufacturers, but Spyderco always wins out in my pocket.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JD Spydo

Interesting but Conflicting Data on model preference

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm finding some interesting observations here on this informative thread about which Spyderco model got people hooked on Spyderco collecting and knife using. I'm finding that hardly no member got hooked on any of the older/established models that joined the Forum after 2009. Now I do find that sort of strange from the aspect that you would think that many of the classics would have been timeless in a sense.

Mainly because I'm having a lot of the newbies contact me about older/estabished models wanting to know more about them and how to get one. Now I do find it proper that the Military and Paramilitary models have hooked a lot of members which doesn't surprise me at all. Because those are 2 models that are truly timeless in a lot of ways.

Also I find it strange that hardly nobody got hooked on Spyderco blades with any of the SPRINT models>> because to me I've always view the SPRINTS as kind of special. The C-60 Ayoob, G-10 handled Sprint for instance is one of my top 5 blades of all time and many people have also told me the same thing through e-mails and PMs>> but yet no one hardly speaks of them openly.

I don't know if Spyderco follows this information for marketing purposes or not. I sure would if I was running the company. But with all that being said it's still interesting what they request the most for SPRINT models.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Endura 4 is what got me hooked. I was looking for a nice knife to carry and kept remembering the movies like the client where someone pulls out a fancy looking stainless steel knife with a hole in the blade. So I did some research and found Cutlerylovers Youtube channel. He had a review of a White Spyderco Endura. So I found one before they sold out and that was my first Spyderco.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

For me, that would be the Harpy!
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

The original Delica. Black handle fully serrated.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My Dragonfly2 PE was my first ever in 2012. Then it went in order from oldest to newest: Native BB SE, Ambitious, UKPK Blue SE with GIN-1 and lastly my Endura BB.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Delica, but after my first Military I could add a line and sinker as well... :o