UKPK G10 rerelease? Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

UKPK G10 rerelease? Sprint?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I love my UKPK, and I love my orange urban. I can't help but wish I could combine the two into a G10 UKPK. I was doing some digging and I found that G10 UKPK's used to exist, I'm just late to the party. Still so much to learn haha.

I know that these knives aren't as popular on this side of the pond because we enjoy our locking knives, but slip joints do have their place. Any interest out there in some new G10 UKPK's? Maybe some new, quirky colors or something. Lets hear it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

The UKPK is a great design and I would love a G10 sprint run. But as you mentioned they are not very popular
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I used to carry my black G-10 UKPK all the time until it disappeared out of my pocket. I loved the light weight and S30V steel, and since I grew up carrying slipjoints, the lack of a lock did not bother me at all. From what Sal posted, the backsprings were very tricky to get right.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would buy a sprint ukpk in a heartbeat
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would be interested in this. I don't mind slipjoints.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enkidude

hi

Post by Enkidude »

I think its a great idea! In the meantime you could try the Byrd Tern?
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I just did a search and found that there are a couple threads like this one. Seems it never gets past a page or two which isn't a good sign.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

A G-10 UK would have to be made in Golden. Right now, and for the near future (1-2 years), the Golden facility is very busy and squeezing in a low volume sprint would have to bump another model from production.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That makes perfect sense Sal. Thank you for chiming in.

@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yeah I just did a search and found that there are a couple threads like this one. Seems it never gets past a page or two which isn't a good sign.
Unfortunately, many people can't fathom the idea of using a non-locking knife once they have one that can lock. Also, with the constant evolution of locking mechanisms, many people follow that ever changing wave rather than realizing their needs are already being met with the current designs available.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I own a couple of the old G10 UKPKs and I love them. I think that they are some of the best slipits that Spyderco has made. I think that they are a million miles better than the FRN versions and I would be totally ok with them bumping something out of the production schedule :D :D :D
On the hunt for...
LC Kid

Spyderco UKPK: Awesome Slipjoint!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="Liquid Cobra"] I love my UKPK, and I love my orange urban. I can't help but wish I could combine the two into a G10 UKPK [/quote]

I guess you mean something like the original Spyderco UKPK Orange G10:[/font]
:) Image

A Truly Awesome Slipjoint!
:cool:
Stay Sharp!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:Unfortunately, many people can't fathom the idea of using a non-locking knife once they have one that can lock. Also, with the constant evolution of locking mechanisms, many people follow that ever changing wave rather than realizing their needs are already being met with the current designs available.
Add non-stainless steels to the list of things people have trouble fathoming today. :(
Nate

Post by Nate »

I would be down for one, but per Sal above, looks like I should focus my hopes on another Caly 3/3.5 sprint run.

That's a great pic, LC Kid. Tasty!
:spyder:
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I thought the original was black G-10?
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JNewell wrote:Add non-stainless steels to the list of things people have trouble fathoming today. :(
This is also very true.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

UKPK G10 = The Originals

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="WOTANSON1"]I thought the original was black G-10?[/quote]

The very first model was developed as a collaboration between Spyderco and the British Blades Forum. And yes, it was Black G10.[/font]
:) Then there were released Foliage Green G10 and Orange G10, and thats the reason why the G10 UKPKs are known as the 'Originals'. :cool: After the G10 then became the FRN UKPKs, in an even wide range of colors.

But for the purists, or for he collectors, the 'Real Deal' UKPK are the Original G10s. And that's the reason why they're almost impossible to find today.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The last two on the right are G-10 UKPKs, the FRN version was modified via a blade swap with a drop point black FRN UKPK. (Needless to say I'd be down for more G-10 UKPKs, still need to find a black G-10 version too...). Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a very nice family photo radioactive.

@liquid_cobra
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I know, I have four of them. Seems most people forget the first one was black G-10.

The very first model was developed as a collaboration between Spyderco and the British Blades Forum. And yes, it was Black G10. [/font][/size] :) Then there were released Foliage Green G10 and Orange G10, and thats the reason why the G10 UKPKs are known as the 'Originals'. :cool: After the G10 then became the FRN UKPKs, in an even wide range of colors.

But for the purists, or for he collectors, the 'Real Deal' UKPK are the Original G10s. And that's the reason why they're almost impossible to find today.
:rolleyes: [/QUOTE]
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK