Which Spyderco got you hooked?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Which Spyderco got you hooked?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For me it was the Endura. The beautiful design, the functionality, and the overall structure and carry-ableness was it. I have to say, my favorite of all time now is the Caspian Salt, but, the Endura was the one that hooked me.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Lady bug. Was many years back and was at one of those mall knife shops. At the time, there were few folding knives which didn't have the fingernail notch -- the Spyderco stood out and instantly appealed to me. Had to have one and have been hooked ever since.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Vallotton.
gph

Post by gph »

S30V Military. Bought it to replace about $50 a year in Olfa blades. It's still my most used.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

My first ever Spydie, Stainless Endura.
From then on, I couldn't stop :D

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

MacLaren wrote:The Vallotton.
The Vallotton is a pretty nice one too :D
I bought one a year or so ago,
looks like a mix between a Hungarian and a Starmate.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A green G-10 Delica, gorgeous industrial art.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DutchBlades wrote:The Vallotton is a pretty nice one too :D
I bought one a year or so ago,
looks like a mix between a Hungarian and a Starmate.
Thank you. Yes, it does. It was my first Spyderco. Actually, I was gonna get the Starmate until I saw the Vallotton. Then when I got the Vallotton I was like wow....just wow.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Oddly enough, I think the Dodo was actually my first Spydie. I remember picking one up after seeing this post by Ken Onion raving about it back in 2003:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost2284534
JD Spydo

Mariner, JD Smith, Police

Post by JD Spydo »

There are actually 3 of the older late 90s models that got me hopelessly addicted to Spyders :D The very first Spyder I ever owned was one I bought at a Gun Show back in 1995 and it was the stainless handled GIN-1 Mariner full SE model. I used that knife a lot and up till then my experience with serrated knives was very limited. I was pleasantly surprised that the great cutting ability of the Mariner model.

About 2 years after than I got my hands on a JD Smith model>> one of the older ATS-34 versions to be sure. I actually got the PE version which I carried for quite some time as my main EDC and really enjoyed it.

After that I got a Police model along with a full SE Endura. The rest is history as they say on TV.

Actually I've never had a Spyder that I didn't like in one capacity or the other.

I've always been a person who loves and fully appreciates high quality tools and everything else made with quality for that matter. So it was easy to be converted to the items put out by the Great Spyder Factory. Not to mention their awesome sharpening equipment as well which gets overlooked by many.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Mine was the Rescue Clipit. I remember thinking it was so weird looking, then I cut myself, then I used it and fell in love.
:spyder:
Dan
JD Spydo

Reinforcements

Post by JD Spydo »

Also I need to mention that during the mid 2000s the big C-44 Dyad, The Temperance 1 fixed blade models PE & SE, and my very first C-60 Ayoob model when they released it in the early 2000s.

Oh one other honorable mention as far as EDCs go>> I EDCed a used blade I got off Ebay in late 2004>> it was a RENEGADE model and I carried it for about a year. As it was I was hit with plenty of reinforcements. I was destined to be a Spyder-head no 2 ways about it.

See there's the problem they just have way to many to put in front of you. I believe there's a model that just about anyone would eventually like a lot. Not to mention Spyderco's quality is superb in the commercially made knife sector.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I bought a SE Native back around 2005 I think and that did it for me. Then it was a Delica, then jumped to a Caly 3 and it was down hill from there. I still have the Native and will never sell it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Tenacious.

It was so much better than my Kershaw, Gerber, or Buck. I then found out that the PM2 was made in Golden, CO, (20 minutes from where I live), and that one really got me addicted.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Paramilitary 2
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This one.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The bottom two in this pic: Caly 3.5 and Manbug :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Endura 4 frn
tap78

Post by tap78 »

This one... it took me 4 years to finalny get it :-)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

For me it was the Manix 2 saber grind S30V and then after using this and gaining an appreciation of the quality of knives that Spyderco produces I was then lucky enough to stumble onto the Spyderco forum in time to pick up the 2013 Forum Native 5. Then my collection began to grow and now I'm 3/4 of the way through a large Spyderpac for my folder collection since beginning to collect Spyderco's from around the time of the Spring of 2013. The South Fork and the S110V MT-18 was my first introduction to Spyderco fixed blades and now I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Gayle Bradley fixed blade that was shown at the 2014 Amsterdam meet.

But my introduction to the world of Spyderco is what I can say truly has introduced me to the knife collecting bug. Although I do have some knives from other makers, overall I have been most impressed with Spyderco as a company for their wide variety of quality blade offerings and their dedication to bringing new steels to market as well as a constant stream of tweaked production knives in the way of their Sprint runs which rewards their loyal clientele with new innovative versions of production favourites.