Larger Sized Spyderco Nautical Knife in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Larger Sized Spyderco Nautical Knife in the works?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know there is the small-sized folder with marlin spike, the Tusk. But my question is this: Are there any future plans to design and produce a larger sized sailing knife that would have a locking marlin spike, a blade made from H1 Stainless Steel that is at least 3 inches long, and with FRN handle scales? I think that would be a great idea.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Or, here is another idea: What about a Tasman Salt, with a marlin spike added?
nccole

Post by nccole »

I suspect a larger Tusk like knife may happen, but the sales of the Tusk are probably not that great due to the cost. I would say a larger Tusk with a SE and possibly a hawkbill would be better than the current Tusk. The blade seems like it may not be enough in some situations. The main reason as I understand the 25+ year delay in making the Tusk was a steel that was as close to H1 in corrosion resistance but could be mated to a Ti framelock. H1 does not work with a Ti lock, but LC 200N is very close in corrosion resistance, and good enough for the Glesser's to use in a salt water ocean yachting knife. Titanium has been as I understand it a must have for the Tusk design to keep with ultimate in corrosion resistance. The new LC 200N steel was the key ingredient that become available. It is a very cool knife, and a marvel of engineering which is why I have one.
sal

Post by sal »

We're always working on new designs. Some are spun off of existing designs, some are totally new. We'll weatch the reaction to the Tusk and go from there.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Anything going on with the G10 handled salt idea we were tossing around last year Sal? :)
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I have a question for all you salts out there. Does anyone use their marlinspike for what it was intended for? (Splicing rope)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting bit of trivia...Did you know that the Marlin (fish) was actually named after the marlinspike?
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on a design that will use two different blades and one handle. 4-3/4" blade. Rescue blade and a pointed blade in H1.

sal
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

PMBohol wrote:I have a question for all you salts out there. Does anyone use their marlinspike for what it was intended for? (Splicing rope)
I've used mine for untying knots, but not for splicing (I haven't learned proper rope splicing yet :) ). Basic knots such as Bowline or Clove Hitch I can do in my sleep.

I'm sure if they came out with a larger-blade version of the Tusk, I'd buy it, but I realize it may be priced above some people's reach.

I find the Tusk *very* comfortable in my hand, and the action on the marlin spike is very smooth and fun to play with. Main uses for me are when hammock camping and kayaking.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

rodloos wrote:I've used mine for untying knots, but not for splicing (I haven't learned proper rope splicing yet :) ). Basic knots such as Bowline or Clove Hitch I can do in my sleep.

I'm sure if they came out with a larger-blade version of the Tusk, I'd buy it, but I realize it may be priced above some people's reach.

I find the Tusk *very* comfortable in my hand, and the action on the marlin spike is very smooth and fun to play with. Main uses for me are when hammock camping and kayaking.
Hey rodloos, you had your tusk out on the ocean much yet? I'm curious to hear some reports on how that steel performs and how it holds up in highly corrosive environments compared to h1. I'm disappointed that I have heard virtually nothing about his steel since the tusk came out. :(
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:We're working on a design that will use two different blades and one handle. 4-3/4" blade. Rescue blade and a pointed blade in H1.

sal
Interesting! Kind of like a dyad design?? I would humbly request that the serrated rescue blade have a quarter inch of plain edge at the tip. (Unlike the Atlantic Salt where the serrations go all the way to the tip) I feel this adds a lot of functionality to the blade. Ahem... it also makes it easier to mod the tip if I decide to turn that rescue blade into a serrated pig sticker. ;)

I just reread your statement and now I'm not sure. We aren't talking about interchangeable blades here are we?! :eek:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey rodloos, you had your tusk out on the ocean much yet? I'm curious to hear some reports on how that steel performs and how it holds up in highly corrosive environments compared to h1. I'm disappointed that I have heard virtually nothing about his steel since the tusk came out. :(
Sorry Gringo, my camping/kayaking is around fresh water rivers/lakes, the ocean would be a bit of a drive for me, though I too am interested in seeing people's real-world experience with it in salt water.

And on the rare occasion I actually catch a fish, they are definitely not picture-worthy like your fantastic catches :) . A 20-lb. buffalo (similar to a carp) on 4-lb-test line was fun, but would not taste like your red snapper :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
sal

Post by sal »

Surfingringo wrote:Interesting! Kind of like a dyad design?? I would humbly request that the serrated rescue blade have a quarter inch of plain edge at the tip. (Unlike the Atlantic Salt where the serrations go all the way to the tip) I feel this adds a lot of functionality to the blade. Ahem... it also makes it easier to mod the tip if I decide to turn that rescue blade into a serrated pig sticker. ;)

I just reread your statement and now I'm not sure. We aren't talking about interchangeable blades here are we?! :eek:
Hi Gringo,

Two separate knives. They will share a common handle.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Gringo,

Two separate knives. They will share a common handle.

sal
Right on! Sounds wonderful! That extra inch (over the pacific salt) should be really useful for when we need to "filet on the fly" sometimes! Any chance of seeing that one in 2015?
sal

Post by sal »

possible.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Such a tease :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Holland wrote:Such a tease :D
Yeah, but I'll take "possible"! ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dad gum. This is pretty awesome. I love watching a thread develop into and idea and then an actual knife
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Man, I can't stop thinking about this knife! Can you imagine a 4 3/4 inch salt folder with a blade something like the southfork??? Serrated and pe I would have to have both! And for what it's worth, I will restate my desire for something along the lines of a 70/30 combo edge (think something like the catcherman with a few serrations back by the heel). Obviously not everybody likes a ce so I'm sure they would keep the main production as full se or pe, but I sure would like to see them do a few with that particular combo edge...or at lest ONE! :D
scout

Post by scout »

PMBohol wrote:I have a question for all you salts out there. Does anyone use their marlinspike for what it was intended for? (Splicing rope)
Yes! I would use it more often for loosening salty old knots, opening paint cans and opening shackles. When I first joined the Navy, the older guys all carried Buck 110's. 110's had very fine tips and were prone to break with even the least amount of prying. The marlinespikes were used for anything else.