spyderco urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
i am travvy

spyderco urban

Post by i am travvy »

ive been trying to find a store that still has some of these wharncliffe urbans and other than one on ebay this one from knives ship free is all i can find. http://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco/ ... 0-handles/ i know a few months back stp had them on sale for half that price so im wondering if they are worth the $92 they are asking for it. im looking for a small slip joint with a pocket clip with g10 scales so this would be perfect. what are yall's opinions and does anyone know of a cheaper place?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I highly recommend the urban. When mine is open the slip joint "locks" up really nicely. I use the term lock even though it doesn't because it is not super easy to close which is a good thing. It's super light since it is linerless. At 92 bucks i'd say that's fair. Especially considering how hard it is to find them now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ned

Post by Ned »

I love my Urban, very cool little knife...if you want one get it now they are only getting more scarce.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Nate

Post by Nate »

I looked around real quick, I'd say go for it if you want one. You could potentially get a better deal on the secondary market, but who knows how long you might wait to find one? By then they might be going for more too...
:spyder:
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

alright, think im just gonna pull the trigger on it. might get a sharpmaker as well since i have some extra paypal funds. sharpmaker will definatly help since what im using now is a very old crock stick thats probably as old as i am or older lol.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Definitely get a Sharpmaker right away!

I had been fooling around with benchstones for a few years with so-so results and a lot of frustration. I picked up a Sharpmaker a few weeks ago and I am extremely glad I did. I feel like after watching the dvd and using it a bit I am not only getting hair popping edges easily, I am better at sharpening freehand as well. Something finally "clicked" :)

I did also get some of the 120 & 320 grit congress moldmaster stones almost immediately for help with some of my older worn, damaged, edges. I found I had a lot of knives with bevels much higher then 20dps and the brown stones would have taken a looong time.
:spyder:
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

okay guys, urban and sharpmaker have been ordered. now the waiting game. good thing ill be getting my elmax pm2 tomorrow to hold me over some :D
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Love my Urban Wharnie. I got it when they were first released. It's a tough little bugger I use it as a work knife. The Wharncliff blade is perfect for electrical work, wire stripping and general work related cutting tasks. The straight edge is a breeze to sharpen. The G10 scrubs clean with small brush and pumice based hand cleaner. You won't regret your purchase. I'm glad you posted about finding one. A co-worker of mine has been trying to find one for awhile and I showed him this thread. He Immediately got on line and ordered one. I my buy one as a back up if something were ever to happen to mine. I wish Sal and Co. would offer more Wharncliffs in the line up.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

billy blade wrote:Love my Urban Wharnie. I got it when they were first released. It's a tough little bugger I use it as a work knife. The Wharncliff blade is perfect for electrical work, wire stripping and general work related cutting tasks. The straight edge is a breeze to sharpen. The G10 scrubs clean with small brush and pumice based hand cleaner. You won't regret your purchase. I'm glad you posted about finding one. A co-worker of mine has been trying to find one for awhile and I showed him this thread. He Immediately got on line and ordered one. I my buy one as a back up if something were ever to happen to mine. I wish Sal and Co. would offer more Wharncliffs in the line up.

i think im really going to like it. i mostly just wanted a small slipjoint for opening up boxes at work (stocking about 4-500 boxes a day). most of the time im walking with a box in one hand, knife in the other so i have to open and close the knife one handed. getting tired of fumbling around with the back lock on my delica. im actually more excited about this urban than my elmax pm2 that i just got in.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got my package today :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Congrats! Tell us what you think when you get the chance.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ned

Post by Ned »

Nice, congratulations!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

didnt get the chance to use the urban at work today but i definatly will tomorrow. i did however get a chance to use my sharpmaker and it is pretty awesome.. lol

first, the old sharpener

the new!

old and new together

Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I regret never getting an Urban wharncliffe when I had the chance.
-Ryan
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Congrats. I like the sharpmaker...but really wish that it was more precise and sturdy.
Sold off my Wharnie Urban, regret it a bit...but still want a leaf blade Urban, but those seem even harder to find than the Wharnie.
On the hunt for...
sal

Post by sal »

Louis Graves designed that "Crock Stick" model about 1978. Then I showed him how to shapren a fish hook in the groove between the stored tods, He patented the idea (with my consent) and produced an injecion molded version. I miss louis Graves. A great man.

We're working on a new Urban (leaf) FRN made in Maniago.

sal
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Sal,

It's great that there will be a new Urban with a leaf shape blade. I have two or three of that knife and it has been one of my most carried knives over the years.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

sal wrote:Louis Graves designed that "Crock Stick" model about 1978. Then I showed him how to shapren a fish hook in the groove between the stored tods, He patented the idea (with my consent) and produced an injecion molded version. I miss louis Graves. A great man.

sal
Thanks for that info sal! I think im going to clean up the rods and put it on display in my collection. i think its pretty cool that either my dad or popy kept the paperwork with it aswell.

Cant wait to see the new urban. Ive been using mine all day today at work and its very nice!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:Louis Graves designed that "Crock Stick" model about 1978. Then I showed him how to shapren a fish hook in the groove between the stored tods, He patented the idea (with my consent) and produced an injecion molded version. I miss louis Graves. A great man.

sal
Here is a link to his autobiography. :)

http://www.casexx.com/Louis/LouisGraves.pdf

I miss him too.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.