Forum Changes Ahead...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Forum Changes Ahead...

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone, this is a heads-up for things to come.

You may have noticed that we are currently not allowing new member registrations. This was unfortunately the only way to stop spam bots from joining/posting at an alarming rate. It would seem the spam bots have stepped up their game and the features within vBulletin are no longer able to keep them under control.

You've definitely noticed there are still features that aren't working properly. We (our webmaster and I) have worked extensively with vBulletin to correct all the glitches left from the last upgrade to no avail. The most recent upgrade wasn't planned, it was the only way to get the forum back up and running after we installed security patches that broke the forum altogether. Each solution provided to correct the remaining issues results in the forum completely failing.

vBulletin has changed drastically over the past ten years. It has come to the point that I no longer feel that it can support our community in the manner that we require. The popularity of our site and forum make us a target and we work vigorously to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.

I've done extensive research on how we should move forward. We are still in the planning stages, but the forum software will be changing in the relatively near future. Our goal is to provide you with a safe, user-friendly forum that you can continue to enjoy. Moving such a large database isn't easy and we're taking our time with planning and testing.

I will post again with more information as we get closer and I will include a date/time for the final conversion. Currently due to necessary testing and my travel schedule we're targeting a conversion in July (probably sometime in mid to late July).

Thank you for all of your interest and continued support. We appreciate all of you.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

May the force be with you.....
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thank you Kristi you have always worked hard to provide one of the nicest, most civil communities on the inter-web. You do a great job.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Thanks Kristi, good luck to you guys! :)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thank you for the work. You will certainly make it :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the heads up Kristi. I don't envy you the task that lies ahead.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I can work with whatever works for you all.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
timlara

Post by timlara »

As always, thanks for the heads up, Kristi! Sounds like a daunting task, but I'm impressed that you guys care enough about the community to apply the "C.Q.I." principle to the forum. :)

For my $0.02 from the peanut gallery, I've been following the development of the "Discourse" project and it's starting to look pretty good...but I'm not sure it's mature enough to handle this forum yet or not. Worth a look if your plan isn't set in stone yet, though:

http://www.discourse.org/
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hey, good luck. My continued support is guaranteed.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, Kristi. I'd hate to be without this forum.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Thanks for your time and care. Too bad you need to be focusing on this rather than getting more and new knives out the door, but we appreciate everything you all do! :spyder:
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Sounds great! Thanks for all that you do.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thank you Kristi for your dedication to the cause.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Good luck Kristi! I'm hope the testing and transfer goes well, as there are lots of gems and nuggets of knowledge in those old posts and I certainly couldn't help make the Spydiewiki nearly as accurate without access to those long forgotten posts.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've seen a few other forums struggle with vbulletin upgrades as well.

Let us know if you need volunteers to test any new forum upgrades. My day job involves web programming in Java/JSP, not PHP so much, but I could help beta-test any new forum software if needed.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Thanks for the heads up Kristi. I don't envy you the task that lies ahead.
+1!

Being former IT I don't envy you the job.

Ken
玉鋼
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Thanks Kristi & Spyderco. your efforts are appreciated by the collective members of the forum. It seems like it has been roughly 10 years or so since the last major forum overhaul so maybe it's about that time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thank you for the hardwork and heads up! I used to be in IT as well, as Ken said, it's tough so good luck!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks Kristi. I hope we will all be worthy of your efforts ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kristi Thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian