FRN Jester Sprint Input Needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What color FRN would you like to see on the FRN Jester sprint run?

British Racing Green
11%
Burgundy
13%
Navy Blue
14%
Tan
6%
Orange
12%
Yellow
2%
White
11%
Purple
6%
Gray
5%
Glow-in-the-Dark
19%

Total votes: 443

bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote: Navy blue is clearly in second place? ;)
this is just temporary :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Very interesting results so far. I think the people have spoken and declared that more glow in the dark would be cool. Maybe not possible in the short term, but perhaps a G10 like glow in the dark jester down the road.

Short term for the FRN sprint being discussed it looks like Navy and BRG lead the way! Is it time for a new poll to shrink the list and get to a final outcome?

I am in for several as I have enjoyed gifting this model in the past. Wish I had kept at least one other than my lime green.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ohcyclist wrote:Very interesting results so far. I think the people have spoken and declared that more glow in the dark would be cool. Maybe not possible in the short term, but perhaps a G10 like glow in the dark jester down the road.
To tell the truth I never cared about glowing in the dark, but I really like the finish and very light green color of material at day light.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree the GID feature is less interesting to me for it's nocturnal properties as much as it's daylight. Unless that is, they can make it to last for an hour or more with a charge. That would be more impressive.
bh49 wrote:this is just temporary :)
It seems we have reached a tie.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:It seems we have reached a tie.
Have to wonder if everyone understands that Spyderco seems to be reserving BRG for knives using ZDP-189. Thus, by voting for BRG, they are almost certainly voting for ZDP-189 by default and by voting for any other color, they are almost certainly voting against ZDP-189 by default.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Have to wonder if everyone understands that Spyderco seems to be reserving BRG for knives using ZDP-189. Thus, by voting for BRG, they are almost certainly voting for ZDP-189 by default and by voting for any other color, they are almost certainly voting against ZDP-189 by default.
I am aware of this subconsciously, but I was voting purely based on color. Others may have been more aware of the secondary choice their color selection could have made. I am still hoping for a small amount of superblue laying around to go with the Navy handles.
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote: It seems we have reached a tie.
did you mean "passed" :) :D :D
The Deacon wrote:Have to wonder if everyone understands that Spyderco seems to be reserving BRG for knives using ZDP-189. Thus, by voting for BRG, they are almost certainly voting for ZDP-189 by default and by voting for any other color, they are almost certainly voting against ZDP-189 by default.
On this particular knife the color is more important for me. If dark green comes with ZDP189, I still want 3 of them. :) and I will take two dark blue or orange with VG10 in addition to British racing green.
Form my experience key-chain knives make a great gift. A while back I bought two Orange Ladybugs for my wife and myself. I loved it. Than Tom had them on sale and I decided to buy "back-ups", but my wife wanted purple. So to "save money on shipping" I bought three purple as well. All of them are gone long time ago. And jester looks much cuter. :)

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:did you mean "passed" :) :D :D
>>>>> :mad: >>>>> :o >>>> :confused: >>>>> :) :spyder: :D

It is a new spydie..... I'm happy either way. If Sal wants to make strained pea green with GIN-1 steel, I'll still buy it because I love the Jester.
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is what I'm hoping for. By default they would then also then be voting for plain edge. Bring on the BRG ZDP hollow ground plain edge Jester!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Bring on the BRG ZDP hollow ground plain edge Jester!
I strongly prefer hollow grind to FFG on Jester, still may be will buy one or two

bearfacedkiller

I really question if the jimping on the nose would work with FFG. It may have to be hollow ground. Not really sure though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I have never had a problem with the hollow grind on these. The jumping on the nose is what sets this model apart.

Interesting point on the BRG indicating a preference for ZDP. Any steel spyderco currently uses would be fine with me.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:my wife wanted purple. So to "save money on shipping" I bought three purple as well. All of them are gone long time ago. And jester looks much cuter. :)
I know what you mean, Roman. I bought my wife+daughter+step daughter all purple LBs a couple Christmases ago. Great gifts. If it's a "gentle" color, I'll probably do that again ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

British racing green? I hope you guys realize that the color doesn't necessarily mean it will be in zdp. Why not a color we haven't seen in frn yet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think a lot of people would like to see a gray FRN super blue Jester added to the current FRN series sprintrun. I'd like one.

If that's not going to happen next, I'd like to see lime green with black blade, VG-10, if the black blade would set it apart enough from the early lime green Jester, and if it wouldn't make the EDC forum people think they'd been robbed of a likely choice.

Or, if it exists in FRN, I'd really love :D day-glow international yellow-green :D * with or w/o black blade.

Sorry I'm straying from the poll choices--of those, I'd like GITD or BRG.

Otherwise, I'd like AUS-6 (because I don't have any) or VG-10. I think the HG goes well with the blade shape, emphasizing the curvature of the blade, and I wouldn't be doing a lot of cheese slicing, etc, with this knife :)

*(edit) like Queen Elizabeth's D-Day outfit (before she removed her outer coat). If this color is chosen, I'd like to get a long overcoat and wide brim hat to match it and maybe change my name to Dougzilla :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

My daughter really wants a purple one and i'd happily take GITD, orange, BRG (if zdp) ... or purple.
bearfacedkiller

Gunslinger wrote:British racing green? I hope you guys realize that the color doesn't necessarily mean it will be in zdp. Why not a color we haven't seen in frn yet?
I believe some of us think BRG is reserved for ZDP. It may very well dictate the steel.
-Darby
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I believe some of us think BRG is reserved for ZDP. It may very well dictate the steel.
To the best of my knowledge BRG is reserved to ZDP, but we saw dark green with S30V (Lil T, Stag Arms Manix), S60V (Lil T), S110V (Forum Native) and dark green Worker with VG10 is coming, so may be just "dark" green" and VG10 is possible. I really do not see a big difference between dark green and BRG, all depends on the shade of dark green. Steel wise, I will buy Jester with VG10 or ZDP.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:To the best of my knowledge BRG is reserved to ZDP, but we saw dark green with S30V (Lil T, Stag Arms Manix), S60V (Lil T), S110V (Forum Native) and dark green Worker with VG10 is coming, so may be just "dark" green" and VG10 is possible. I really do not see a big difference between dark green and BRG, all depends on the shade of dark green. Steel wise, I will buy Jester with VG10 or ZDP.
I think the colors would be really close if they tried to recreate the G-10 green from the Forum Native, Lil Temp. or Worker Sprint. Colors vary significantly when you transition to FRN from G-10 and vise versa (IMO).
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:Colors vary significantly when you transition to FRN from G-10 and vise versa (IMO).
As long as it green, preferably dark, I will be happy.