If you could create your own model what would it be...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Oldiies from pre 2005 revamped

Post by JD Spydo »

With my never ending love of many of the older, pre 2005 models I have many I would like to see come back revamped with different materials. First and foremost I just can't get through a week without my pair of Temperance 1 models ( PE & SE). I've said many times that I would like to see that model brought back in the H-1 Salt Series available in both SE & PE. One brother made mention of a somewhat smaller version of the C-60 Ayoob model>>> that would truly be a keeper for me as well.

I would also like to see a revamped C-44 Dyad with blades made of one of the Supersteels. And the return of the Renegade & Blackhawk models with Micarta handles and newer/better blade steels. And a fully serrated Captain just to name a few.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The new light weight dark blue Manix2 has reminded me just how close to my perfect knife the Manix already is. My favorite one now is my tan M4, which is, by my old analog balance, roughly 0.75oz lighter than the old hollow ground Manix2 and 1.5oz heavier than the dark blue lt wt.

So, if I could create my own model, right now it would be like the tan Manix2 M4 but with liners even more skeletonized and more nested in the G-10, giving it a weight of about 4oz, about halfway between the Dark Blue and regular Manix2.

I'd like to see it as a standard production premium knife with a standard premium steel like K390 or M4, to be sold alongside the light weight and regular Manix2's.

For me, I'd like to see it in foliage green G-10, which I think would be OK, since the previous FG sprintrun would have been a slightly different model. I'd also be happy with the current "tan," which is really more of an off-white, or ranger green, olive drab, or light coyote (if it didn't offend people with scatological hangups ;) :D )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Assisted opening Military.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I get time I think I'm gonna dig back into my drafting days and draw up some ideas. Who knows I may even submit them and get lucky.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:If I get time I think I'm gonna dig back into my drafting days and draw up some ideas. Who knows I may even submit them and get lucky.
I'd be interested to see what you come up with for the Yo2. I might like to see the handle a tiny bit longer, but definitely more index finger room, etc, sort of like your modifications. I forget how you felt about jimping on the thumb ramp or if you mentioned that.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:I'd be interested to see what you come up with for the Yo2. I might like to see the handle a tiny bit longer, but definitely more index finger room, etc, sort of like your modifications. I forget how you felt about jimping on the thumb ramp or if you mentioned that.
On the Yo 2 I agree with Mike in removing them. If the ergos are strong enough in the grip (which they are) you really don't need jimping, and in a SD knife (even just an EDC) they can cause abrasions on your thumb when used hard. The lack of jimping is one of the things I love about this knife. I'm not anti jimping or anything, but I do prefer relying on solid ergonomics instead. I think the Manix 2 could also live without any jimping whatsoever and be just as solid in your hand. On my steel linered Manix's, I usually grind down the liner jimping and leave only the spine and choil. The bumps on the lightweight don't bother me though, they're much less aggressive.

I also have another idea that might make it into reality. I'm gonna look into the handle of the G10 Manix 2 and see if I can mod the entire handle into the shape of a Yo 2 handle (but with a 50/50 choil obviously). I think there's enough room behind the choil that I can cut out the bottom of the handle to be exactly like my modded Yo 2. That might be the closest I'll ever get to a Yo 2 with a Manix 2 blade. In a lot of ways the ergos are similar on these two knives, so it wouldn't take too much modding.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:If I get time I think I'm gonna dig back into my drafting days and draw up some ideas. Who knows I may even submit them and get lucky.
I would love to see a 3.5 inch yojimbo w/ a dlc blade. Saweet!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:On the Yo 2 I agree with Mike in removing them. If the ergos are strong enough in the grip (which they are) you really don't need jimping, and in a SD knife (even just an EDC) they can cause abrasions on your thumb when used hard. The lack of jimping is one of the things I love about this knife. I'm not anti jimping or anything, but I do prefer relying on solid ergonomics instead. I think the Manix 2 could also live without any jimping whatsoever and be just as solid in your hand. On my steel linered Manix's, I usually grind down the liner jimping and leave only the spine and choil. The bumps on the lightweight don't bother me though, they're much less aggressive.

I also have another idea that might make it into reality. I'm gonna look into the handle of the G10 Manix 2 and see if I can mod the entire handle into the shape of a Yo 2 handle (but with a 50/50 choil obviously). I think there's enough room behind the choil that I can cut out the bottom of the handle to be exactly like my modded Yo 2. That might be the closest I'll ever get to a Yo 2 with a Manix 2 blade. In a lot of ways the ergos are similar on these two knives, so it wouldn't take too much modding.
I'm a little ambivalent about both things. I think I'd like the smoother feel if the liner jimps were removed and I'm confident that the Manix would be secure without them, but the fact that they are rounded helps some. I'd probably have to compare Manixes with and without for a few days if I had to make a final decision about production. Likewise, I've gotten used to the Manix2 handle and really like the ergos. It fits my hand better than the Yo2, but I think the Yo2 handle is an exciting sort of minimalist innovation but needs tweaking for one size to fit all. Also, I'm not quite as confident of the security of the Yo2 grip compared to the Manix and haven't really used the Yo2 enough to decide on that yet. It'll sure be interesting to see what you come up with.

Edit: If you don't have a extra Manix to experiment with, I might have a spare DLC one I could send you... if you'll send it back when you get through ;)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

[quote="Evil D"] I think the Manix 2 could also live without any jimping whatsoever and be just as solid in your hand.
Heretic :mad: !
:)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I can't decide.
Start with either the Paramilitary as is, or the Military with a compression lock (maybe the new stop lock, still not sure how it works).
If it's a Para, 204P. If it's a Military, Cruwear.
Arctic digicam G10. The slightest hint of a pale blue in it too.
And best of all.......a flipper. Yeah, I know, heresy. I love flippers and I really think it'd work on a Paramilitary or Military. If only there was a way to do it with a bolt lock. That would do me in.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

O,just,O wrote: I think the Manix 2 could also live without any jimping whatsoever and be just as solid in your hand.
Heretic :mad: !
:)
Well, the people that don't like it have the advantage, because they can grind it off, which is easier than filing it on if it's not there ;) :D
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

My dream Spyderco knife would be a Red Military in S90V with no lanyard hole, nice standoffs instead of a backspacer, tip down pocket clip, and a compression lock.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

A Manbug sized Techno. Flipper.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Carly 3.75
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

At the moment I'd create something that looked exactly like a 3 1/2" and 4" Phil Wilson B&T collaboration. Of course I'm not that creative. :)
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

A "Military 2", G10 with compression lock, just like its little brother! Love compression locks, but not really liner locks. Although I have the base model carbon fiber Millie that is a liner lock, that is the only liner lock Millie, and then only because it is so rare (400 made). My other two Millies are both titanium integral locks, regular and fluted, but to have a Millie with the benefits of the Para2 would be outstanding! Maybe this isn't an original idea, but if Sal is listening...
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

xceptnl wrote:2.) A.T.R. SUPER-SALT, Ti handles (stonewashed), 3mm, high hollow, less swedge, Ti clip, H1 blade (stonewashed), SE
twinboysdad wrote:wharncliffe Dodo anyone? "Yojodo"
Both of you: Shut up and take my money!

Would also like a folder in 1070 or 1080 fully hardened and then tempered down to RC64 that's about 1mm thick at spine (spine rounded), 80mm-100mm long, 15mm tall at handle in a wharnie pattern and ground in a way that makes Opinels look obese and Herder windmill thingies look like they have the 'freshman 15' and skeletonized aluminum liners with lignum vitae scales.

A Trace Rinaldi Clinch Pick in H1, 8CrMoV13, AUS-8, or AUS-6M with FRN scales and a Trace Rinaldi Disciple in same.
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Para2 in M4.
This!
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

speedseeker wrote:This!
In fact, how about a Ti, PM2 with RIL in M4. {Wipes the drool from his chin}
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

If I could design a new Spyderco model, it would be the addition of a laguiole style knife to the ethnic series.

-The blade would need to be ground very thin, have a Spyder hole added obviously, and be about 4'' long. It wouldn't need a "super steel", S30v is perfectly fine.

-The spine of the blade, and the slip joint bar would have nice filework on them.

-The handle material could be rounded and polished G10 or wood.

-The bolsters and liners would be bronze anodized Ti.

-And instead of the traditional bee at the top of the slip joint bar, there would be a Spyderco Spyder.

PS, I don't care how high the MSRP goes on this one Sal, wink wink.