Dear Sal, could a SE sprint from the past be a posibility?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Dear Sal, could a SE sprint from the past be a posibility?

Post by twinboysdad »

Reading over some of JD Spydo's old threads has me curious if we could ever have one of the spyderedged badasses from the past come back? I will list the usual ones that everyone pines for. Your feedback to Sal speaks the loudest! Speak now or forever carry a PE.

1. G10 Ayoob in SE
2. Breeden Captain in SE
3. Dodo in SE (been done, easy bring back)
4. Military in SE (been done recently, real easy)
5. Para 2 (never been done, couldn't be hard)

feel free to add others, but the Ayoob and Captain both scream out for teeth like a suddenly awakened Alabama fan! War Eagle!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote: ...2. Breeden Captain in SE...
Would just the inward curved portion be spyderedge? I think I could really like something like this. I am good with bringing back some full SE models. Also it is nice to see someone else carrying the torch for JD while he is recovering.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

xceptnl wrote:Would just the inward curved portion be spyderedge? I think I could really like something like this. I am good with bringing back some full SE models. Also it is nice to see someone else carrying the torch for JD while he is recovering.
I've seen and posted a picture of a Captain modded like that. It looks amazing!

Here it is! Definitely would consider doing this to mine, but I gotta fix some lock-up issues first :(

And I would enjoy another run of Military in SE, I've got one in 440V SE that's amazing but, you know the saying, one is none, two is one :p

Of the others, I don't find the ergos that good so I would pass on those.

However, some other old runs that I would like to see brought back as SE Sprints would be an ATR, a Lil Temp, and of course, the Aqua Salt! Would love any of those as an SE Sprint!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Alright, I'm sold. That looks both vicious and versatile.
Invective wrote:...And I would enjoy another run of Military in SE, I've got one in 440V SE that's amazing but, you know the saying, one is none, two is one :p
So true. We could use a new SE in a unique steel.
Invective wrote:...However, some other old runs that I would like to see brought back as SE Sprints would be an ATR, a Lil Temp, and of course, the Aqua Salt! Would love any of those as an SE Sprint!
Black, SS or Ti?
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

xceptnl wrote: Black, SS or Ti?
I wanna say Ti but I know that would bring the price up a lot, so let's go with SS/Black. Plus then it would probably be Seki City and not bog down Golden more than it already is.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be in for the Ayoob or Captain. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Invective wrote:I wanna say Ti but I know that would bring the price up a lot, so let's go with SS/Black. Plus then it would probably be Seki City and not bog down Golden more than it already is.
I completely agree with this line of thinking. I have decided to carry my ATR tomorrow. Shame it is PE.
*Landon*
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I LOVE fully serrated blades. Not partial (combo edge) but full serrations. I'd be game for a blast from the past with full SE.

Might I suggest a ...

• Centofante 3
  • Sage
  • Para 2
Any of those with a fully serrated edge would rock hard.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I want to see a Goddard in full serrated H1. It's already linerless and has volcano texture FRN (Like the current Salt lineup), and is one of the Seki models and as such would be one of the easier models to convert.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

How about a g10 linerless caly jr or even a frn caly jr. Serrations and a ffg blade go well together.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

what about the Schempp Barong? Also the large Caly?
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'd be totally content with an SE Millie.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd love to see a fully serrated ParaMilitary 2.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TBD,

Anything is possible. The question becomes capacity and market size.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

What about a left handed military? :)

Maybe after the expansion is finished. Shouldn't that be any day now? :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

As long as we're asking, how about another run of the Aqua Salt. I still can't find one at a decent price but continue looking. Please?
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

twinboysdad wrote:...could ever have one of the spyderedged badasses from the past come back?

5. Para 2 (never been done, couldn't be hard)
Invective wrote:
However, some other old runs that I would like to see brought back as SE Sprints would be an ATR...

"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Cheaper, faster, and easier to send any PlainEdge knife to Willey Knives (http://www.willeyknives.com) and have them SpyderEdge it. They have professional machine that perfectly matches Spyderco's iconic edge. :D
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Would just the inward curved portion be spyderedge? I think I could really like something like this. I am good with bringing back some full SE models. Also it is nice to see someone else carrying the torch for JD while he is recovering.
Yeah with the C-111 Captain model the inner arch part in full Spyderedge is definitely what I would have in mind. Because the rounded off, pendulum edge end would be handy for many everyday cutting chores. If my memory serves me well I believe that the original Jason Breeden Captain model was intended to have the inner arch part fully serrated.

The picture that "Invective" is showing is exactly what I have in mind for that model. I wouldn't even be too particular what steel they would use as long as it would be VG-10 or better.

Also the original Dodo from 2003 was offered at one time in full Spyderedge and it was a "beast" of a knife with that edge type. I never could figure why none of the Sprint versions were ever offered in that edge??? The Military model in 440V was offered for a while in full Spyderedge and I've heard many wanting it to come back in the line up fully serrated.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote:
The picture that "Invective" is showing is exactly what I have in mind for that model. I wouldn't even be too particular what steel they would use as long as it would be VG-10 or better.
This got me thinking, what models in AUS-6 have we had in full SE that would be made better with a steel upgrade?

The first knife that came to my mind was the MeerKat!! One of the best LBKs and it came in a variety of blade shapes, Reverse S being my favorite! If we could get a sprint MeerKat in VG-10 of the MeerKat with SE, I would pick up at least 3! It's such a nice little unimposing knife, plus you can win free drinks from your friends by challenging them to close it :p

Also, this thread needs more pictures, so I'll post some of the yardwork I've been doing the past few weeks.

This is my front yard. Way too many flowers. Gotta take em out somehow, and our town has an ordinance banning gas tools so no weed whacker for me. Guess that means, it's time for the SpyderEdge to shine!

This is two weeks in. I probably could have finished in a day but our recycle bin is small and fills up easily.

Tools of the day! If you can't tell that's a 440V SE Military. Last week I used my Gin-1 Worker, which worked just as well, although I was thankful for the longer blade of the Military. The SE just makes it so much easier to cut through the flower stalks, especially the old dead ones. I tried using Super Blue Caly 3.5 before but it kept getting snagged on the dead stalks, and I was nervous to cut it near the dirt for fear of dulling the blade. Not so with the SE! I have cut into the dirt and even dug into it with the stone/brick walkway a bit and the Military was fine.