Interesting Scifi Blade Material

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Interesting Scifi Blade Material

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was reading one science fiction account of a super material, metal like, called "Adamant" (similiar to Marvel Comic's adamantium). It was totally impervious to anything, and once an edge was formed in it (under the incredible pressures it took to make it), it never went dull. The catch = 10,000 dollars per inch.

Are there very rich people in our world who would buy such a thing, if it existed?
Invective

Post by Invective »

I wouldn't. Even if it came down in price, where's the fun in not being able to play with the edge to see what happens? Taking the edge down to 10dps and giving it a 30k finish vs. a 35dps with a rough 120 grit finish gives such a big difference in performance, I'm not sure I would want to give that up for some adamant. Maybe I'd get one just for the novelty but I'll stick to good old steel for my EDC purposes.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Wasn't "Adam Ant" a cheesy 80's new wave musician?

TedP

Clip

Post by Clip »

Actually, a 60s cartoon:

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I think you are refering to Adamantium. That is the steel used in the claws of Wolverine and in the shield of Captain America. Unfortunatly it doesn't exist, with those properties it would make a great Mule Team :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There isn't a substance known to man or probably otherwise that I can't dull. No edge can withstand damage, because to be sharp it has to be extremely thin at the very edge, so at some point it'll be damaged by something, and therefore dulled. At that point, I wouldn't wanna know what sharpening services cost.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If we're talking sci-fi blades that don't need sharpening, I'd rather buy one of these.

[ATTACH]23569[/ATTACH]
Attachments
lightsaber.jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Even if you could make such an edge, what would be the purpose? Even in the game of exotic blade steels one has to factor cost as a factor of performance.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

jabba359 wrote:If we're talking sci-fi blades that don't need sharpening, I'd rather buy one of these.

[ATTACH]23569[/ATTACH]
It always seems like lightsabers never need batteries changed, or recharged or anything like that. I hope battery technology gets with the 21st century soon.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Evil D wrote:There isn't a substance known to man or probably otherwise that I can't dull. No edge can withstand damage, because to be sharp it has to be extremely thin at the very edge, so at some point it'll be damaged by something, and therefore dulled. At that point, I wouldn't wanna know what sharpening services cost.
Agree. In the end, I don't think it'd be worth it. If someone would create a light saber, that could be interesting.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:It always seems like lightsabers never need batteries changed, or recharged or anything like that. I hope battery technology gets with the 21st century soon.
I think it's one of those "Shake-to-recharge" devices.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris