New Little Big Knife Ideas???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

New Little Big Knife Ideas???

Post by wmcilvain »

I live in northern VA and with DC and our less than exemplary government near by... I know that there are a lot of individuals in the area that can not carry anything to work larger than 2.5 inches.

I know that Spyderco has been great at adapting designs to needs of specific demographics.... could there be the possibility of a super durable "Government" model.

i know that everyone will point me towards the current models that i agree are adequate, but I think we all like seeing new Spyderco's
Invective

Post by Invective »

wmcilvain wrote:I live in northern VA and with DC and our less than exemplary government near by... I know that there are a lot of individuals in the area that can not carry anything to work larger than 2.5 inches.

I know that Spyderco has been great at adapting designs to needs of specific demographics.... could there be the possibility of a super durable "Government" model.

i know that everyone will point me towards the current models that i agree are adequate, but I think we all like seeing new Spyderco's

If you wanted to, you could just take .05 inches off the tip of a Techno and you'd have a 2.5'' super tough, durable Ti framelock knife. Additionally, the Dice has just started shipping so there's that as well.

Or you could wait til the Burch Chubby. the Serge Panchenko Dogtag folder, the Peter Carey Firefly (2.56 inch blade so might be too big), the Chris Knutson Introvert (also may be a bit big but under 3'' blade), the Roadie (designed to be TSA allowed before the TSA fliflopped and decided not to allow knives).

I guess what I'm saying is that Spyderco already has a ton of new LBks in the works :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In a perfect world the Dodo or Poliwog would be my pick. You can still get a Lava, Equilibrium and probably a Balance. Those are terrific as well.
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

I have always wanted a Poliwog. Or a Balance in ZDP...

I like the trimming of a Techno Idea, but that is a little rich for my blood at this point.... plus doubt I can find one with a broken tip that I could get cheap and feel at peace with grinding down
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

If you're stuck with new models then my advice would be the Chubby or the Roadie. With those you even have Lock and Non-Lock options.
:spyder: But if the Techno is a little too rich I seriously doubt you picking the Chubby. So it leaves you with the Roadie. :rolleyes: Unless you like the DogTag Folder... :D
Stay Sharp!
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

I like the Roadie... when is that actually suppose to happen?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, there, wmcilvain! Fellow NoVA resident here (Fairfax County). I feel your pain, man. Around here you have to be super-conscious about when and where and what you can carry. There are more magnetometers per square mile in this city than anywhere on earth. :rolleyes:

I've built a collection of small, light Spydies that I use just for this purpose - wearing with suits or office attire when I need a shorter blade. This includes:

- DragonFly (various flavors)
- ManBug (several varieties)
- Jester
- Baby Goddard
- Chicago
- "S"
- Walker lightweight
- Solo
- Urban (several handle materials)
- Squeak (several handle materials)
- Bradley Air
- Pingo

If you want SS scales, you could go with the CoPilot, Spin, or SS Dfly.

TedP
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have the SS Dfly and it is a tank. Wish it had a wire clip and jimping like FRN Dfly, but it is a solid LBK and I highly recommend it. Mine was a gift and is engraved with my initials
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:Hey, there, wmcilvain! Fellow NoVA resident here (Fairfax County). I feel your pain, man. Around here you have to be super-conscious about when and where and what you can carry. There are more magnetometers per square mile in this city than anywhere on earth. :rolleyes:

I've built a collection of small, light Spydies that I use just for this purpose - wearing with suits or office attire when I need a shorter blade. This includes:

- DragonFly (various flavors)
- ManBug (several varieties)
- Jester
- Baby Goddard
- Chicago
- "S"
- Walker lightweight
- Solo
- Urban (several handle materials)
- Squeak (several handle materials)
- Bradley Air
- Pingo
TedP
And no Kopa???????? :confused:
I carry Cocobolo fairly frequent and found it to be very capable knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

would the new Kahr Delicas with the 2.5 wharn blade not qualify as well?
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

My EDC is a ZDP-189 Dragonfly to stay under 2.5". What I would love to see is a knife with a 2.5" blade made of CPM-S110V with an integral compression lock with a Ti scale on the lock side and a CF scale (with the minimal reinforcement if needed for the lock around the stop pin) on the other side.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

While I love the above-mentioned knives, one I rarely see mentioned that I love the feel and grip of is the Navigator (2). The additional finger groove compared to the Dfly makes it fit the hand that much more snugly. I'd love to see a G10 sprint someday or even perhaps an evolution of the model to the third generation (perhaps slimming it up a bit more, better jimping).

Good thread! Still waiting for the Kahr Delicas to show up at BHQ.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:And no Kopa???????? :confused:
My thoughts exactly. A perfect opportunity to ask for a Kopa sprint with a brass inlay.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*