Black Southard is Coming!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Right, but why G-10?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:It's pretty easy and very cheap to change the stock brown scale to black you know... :) . Plus all the available aftermarket scales available, it's one of the most dynamic mod models out there! Clip is easy enough to change too, courtesy of STR over on BF. Cheers, Radioactive

Yeah I know you could change the scales and if the release proceeds with brown and I actually like the Stretch enough that I feel that I must get one........then I'd absolutely have to change the scales. Otherwise I'd constantly feel like I was sticking a turd in my pocket and it would irritate me to no end if I didn't change the scales.

Hopefully they release two Sprints of the slabbed version before going to FRN releases. Maybe a CF Super Blue version? But I would hate to have to pay another $50-70 just to make an otherwise awesome knife presentable to myself and others. :(
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ManixFan wrote:Yeah I know you could change the scales and if the release proceeds with brown and I actually like the Stretch enough that I feel that I must get one........then I'd absolutely have to change the scales. Otherwise I'd constantly feel like I was sticking a turd in my pocket and it would irritate me to no end if I didn't change the scales.

Hopefully they release two Sprints of the slabbed version before going to FRN releases. Maybe a CF Super Blue version? But I would hate to have to pay another $50-70 just to make an otherwise awesome knife presentable to myself and others. :(
I believe RadioactiveSpyder was referring to a $3 RIT dye job, not actually replacing the scales.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth, I grew to somewhat like the brown scales. They contrast well with the color of the Ti. I haven't dyed mine just because every other knife I have is black anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I also like the brown scales. I dyed mine black only because I dropped my Southard in the grocery store parking lot and dinged the end of the scale. After sanding it out, the color contrast with the lighter sanded area was too noticeable and I was too cheap to buy an aftermarket scale. Some of the ones I've seen are incredible, and pictures I've seen of the new black version are fantastic!!

Does anyone know if STR offers his Southard Ti clips in black off-hand?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I also like the brown scales. I dyed mine black only because I dropped my Southard in the grocery store parking lot and dinged the end of the scale. After sanding it out, the color contrast with the lighter sanded area was too noticeable and I was too cheap to buy an aftermarket scale. Some of the ones I've seen are incredible, and pictures I've seen of the new black version are fantastic!!

Does anyone know if STR offers his Southard Ti clips in black off-hand?
Hmmm, the brown G10 gets lighter with sanding? There might be hope for the brown G10 Stretch then. I really would prefer something other than black G10 (unless it also has the black blade it is just too common place) but if the brown sands down enough that it becomes light enough to go to a blue or green......even if it is a darker blue or green then maybe the G10 version of the Stretch would be salvageable with a dye job.

How much lighter did it get and do you think that it would be possible to take it to a dark blue or green with Rit dye?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's deposited by Physical Vapor Deposition, not by an electrolytic plating process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

For reference:
TiN, TiCN, TiALN are all deposited using one of the PVD variant processes- either sputtering or evaporative deposition.

DLC are generally deposited using Plasma Deposition, usually Cathodic Ray Deposition.

Source: 15 years in NADCAP approved Special Processes, 10 years in Aerospace Manufacturing (Quality) and Bsc (Hons) Materials Science ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Pake

Post by Pake »

In stock at National Knives for anyone who's interested.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Pake wrote:In stock at National Knives for anyone who's interested.
Thanks! :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt