Finally going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tk59194

Finally going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Post by tk59194 »

Hello all,

I was recently bitten by the Spyder and started collecting Spyderco knives. For years I collected and carried a plethora of fixed blade knives but have found that folding knives offer more convenience and utility for my particular needs. Having said that, I have become obsessed with spyderco knives. Like many of you in here I am always searching for my next Spyderco. The anticipation, the waiting, the unboxing and the joy of opening and closing a fresh new Spyderco Knife is addicting. But I find once the newness wears off, I am stuck in the same old place. Reading reviews and scouting for my next new Spydie. Recently I purchased the GB, PM2, Mannix S10V, and the Stretch Super Blue. I am in the Military and I use all my knives pretty heavily. These knives do not sit in a safe collecting dust. Having said that I am constently trying to decide which knife will become my "Grail" knife. I find myself rotating a different knife everyday and I love them all. Lately I have been thinking about settling down and just getting acquainted with 1 knife. This obsession has to end. The most stressfull part of my day is usually choosing which knife I will carry before I leave the house. So...... I have longed for the Spyderco Techno. In terms of overall utility,toughness and fit and finish, the knife seems perfect. It has been on my list of knives to purchase for a while , but for whatever reason it has always taken the back seat to something different. I have always said "ehhh, I'll order the techno another time". Well I cannot wait any longer. I seriously have not read or seen nearly any negative reviews on this knife. I have also read many people's accounts of kicking Sebenzas out of their pockets to carry this little tank of a knife. For 99% of my tasks I think it will suffice and hold up very well. The only thing I do not think it will excell at is certain types of food prep. I understand that a folding pocket knife may not be ideal for food prep, but I enjoy cutting up an apple or a tomato or carrots for my lunches many times per week and I feel that the hefty blade stock may inhibit this type of use. My question is for those that have and carry a Techno. Have you used it for food prep? Have there been any tasks that you have come accross that the Techno did not perform well? At this point I may even consider carrying the Techno 100% of the time and supplementing with an additional knife. Anyways, I am very excited to get the Techno and feel like this may be my last purchase for a while.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I love my Techno, but I confess I do supplement mine with this additional knife ;) :D : Just go get one!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry I was totally side tracked by micarta Cruwear Military hotness.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

I was actually thinking a Millie, PM2 or GB would compliment the techno quite nicely.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Evil D wrote:Sorry I was totally side tracked by micarta Cruwear Military hotness.
Ditto!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Sorry I was totally side tracked by micarta Cruwear Military hotness.
I'm sorry, were you saying something?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

senorsquare wrote:I'm sorry, were you saying something?
Did someone ask a question? I must have been distracted!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to derail the thread with all that Cuscadi goodness! Carry on! You were saying something about a Techno? ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just don't run with your new techno clipped to your pocket :rolleyes:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

It does well at shallow cuts, don't expect to slide right thru an apple or other dense objects. Spine is broken/slightly rounded from the stone washing at the factory which makes it comfortable for your thumb if a good deal of force is needed. Here's a few pictures next to a pm2.

If you have any requests for comparison shots let me know.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
JBE

Post by JBE »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I love my Techno, but I confess I do supplement mine with this additional knife ;) :D : Just go get one!

Sweeet! That has to be about the best-looking Millie that I have ever seen!
Jason
gph

Post by gph »

A bit of a radical mod but it would be a better slicer. I wouldn't do it because I don't slice hard material or do food prep and I like that comfortable thumb rest.

It's funny how that mod says utility or tactical and this says ornamental or even cute.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure if it would really slice any different at all since the angle of the primary grind wouldn't change. I guess towards the tip it would be thinner at the spine but it's really only going to slice as well as the angle of the grind.
~David
gph

Post by gph »

There would be less blade width passing through the material it's cutting. Nothing major though, maybe a half a mil.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gph wrote:There would be less blade width passing through the material it's cutting. Nothing major though, maybe a half a mil.
That's true in some situations, not true in others. Consider a door stop for a moment. There's a few inches of door stop behind a door that never wedges underneath the door. If you cut a couple of those inches off, would it stop the door stop from wedging underneath the door? Nope, because the shape of the wedge is unchanged and still wedges under the door. In the same way, if the primary grind of the blade is unchanged, it's still going to have a given amount of drag cutting through material, but of course the longer your "door stop" gets, the wider it gets so shortening the wedge will give you some kind of improvement, though like you said maybe half a mil which it's pretty insignificant. If you could combine that with a distal taper, then you'd see some noticeable improvement when slicing at the tip. Another thing to consider is how thin the blade is ground behind the edge. If it's ground really thin, then the transition from spine to edge is a lot more abrupt so you'd see a more significant slicing improvement from something like this. Unfortunately from what I've heard this knife isn't very thin behind the edge.
~David
gph

Post by gph »

The OP was asking about limitations in slicing dense material. The Techno's primary limitation there is the width of the blade. While ½ mil won't turn it into a box cutter it is roughly ⅛ of the total width of that portion of the blade. I wouldn't call 12.5% of most things insignificant. But this is the English language. Maybe we ascribe a different meaning to insignificant .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gph wrote:The OP was asking about limitations in slicing dense material. The Techno's primary limitation there is the width of the blade. While ½ mil won't turn it into a box cutter it is roughly ⅛ of the total width of that portion of the blade. I wouldn't call 12.5% of most things insignificant. But this is the English language. Maybe we ascribe a different meaning to insignificant .
Yeah, I just don't think even the most avid knife user is going to notice a 12.5% decrease in cutting resistance. There's a clear difference between how a Caly 3 slices and how a Manix 2 slices, and they have the same blade thickness. The difference is in the primary grind, which is much thinner behind the edge on the Caly 3. What I'm saying is, spine thickness is only part of the issue here and thinning it out will only get you part of a solution. You're going to see better slicing performance by thinning the blade behind the edge than you will by thinning the spine by .5mm.
~David
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Well, after applying my 100$ gift card and using my 56.00$ reward points the techno cost me a whopping 13.00$. Should have it by the end of the week. Getting excited.
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

I bought a used Techno and am waiting on it to come in. Can't wait.