Mini Southard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VeloWeave

Mini Southard

Post by VeloWeave »

Honey, I shrunk my Southard. What I have here is a Spyderco Southard which I sent to Bower Bladeworks. I have to start out by saying he did a phenomenal job. Without affecting the amazing fit & finish that comes out of Spyderco's Taichung plant he was able to make the knife into something that I would carry on a daily basis. I loved the original Southard but for me if the blade length comes in over 3 inches it just sits on the dresser looking pretty. I didn't want to sell my Southard and I really wanted to carry it more often, so when I saw Kevin showing off this mod that he did to his own Southard I contacted him to see if he would do one for me. I now carry this knife daily, it's right up there with my Small Sebenza Insingo and the cutting edge is just about the same size.

The Mod was done by shortening the back end of the knife, contouring the pocket clip to match the rear and getting rid of that pointy end on the front of the clip that bothers some folks. Then the blade was shortened and recountoured by removing the hump on top, giving it a slight concave swoop that falls off at the end sort of like a modified sheepsfoot. The blade spine was rounded and polished and finished with an acid stonewash (clip is also acid stonewashed). The show side scale and over travel is Silver Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber. The back is the original titanium which has been rounded off a bit, or CC'd, and then Blue Anodized.

The bottom two pics are for size reference with my Prometheus Lights Beta-QR flashlight. Enjoy! It's Awesome!

Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Wow! I love it!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

That is amazing work... :eek:
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Clip

Post by Clip »

Looks like an awesome job! How much metal is left between the hole and spine? Pictures make it look thin.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Clip wrote:Looks like an awesome job! How much metal is left between the hole and spine? Pictures make it look thin.
Well, there wasn't any metal removed from that section except for the slight rounding of the spine which makes it look like it. The rounding off kind of tricks the eye. The profiling of the blade started a little farther down from the spydie hole.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Very nice mod. Looks awesome!
Ned

Post by Ned »

Yes that is very cool...Thank you for posting!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I got on his books for one a week ago, can't wait for that! The Mini Para 2 is cool, also, but I think the Southard should be just a tad cooler and makes it closer to a 'custom' Southard
knolan

Post by knolan »

Really nice...especially the crowned spine! I too have always wanted a 3" Southard and it looks like you actually achieved it.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

How much did that all cost? This looks amazing but I think most people would have found it way out of their price range.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

That looks sick. I always wanted a southard but the blade is too big. I wish sal would come up with a mini southard with a 3 inch blade. I think it would be very popular.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Spydersense wrote:Wow! I love it!
Thanks Spydersense, I do to!
DutchBlades wrote:That is amazing work... :eek:
It sure is. Kevin does nice work.
senorsquare wrote:Very nice mod. Looks awesome!
Thank you senorsquare, nice seeing you around the forums and IG.
Ned wrote:Yes that is very cool...Thank you for posting!
Not a problem Ned, thanks for prompting me. :)
Cujobob wrote:I got on his books for one a week ago, can't wait for that! The Mini Para 2 is cool, also, but I think the Southard should be just a tad cooler and makes it closer to a 'custom' Southard
The Mini Para 2 does look cool Cujobob. I think you're right the Southard is a bit more unique. It's inspired by his Tarsus model. You'll have to post some pics when you get it. What material are you using?
knolan wrote:Really nice...especially the crowned spine! I too have always wanted a 3" Southard and it looks like you actually achieved it.
The crowned spine is really cool. I love it on the Sebenza and am thrilled to have it on the Mini Southard. Thanks knolan!
Scorpion wrote:How much did that all cost? This looks amazing but I think most people would have found it way out of their price range.
It was spendy, but worth it IMO because it kept me from selling the knife. I can't stand shelf queens. Email Bower Bladeworks for a quote if you are interested in having one done.
Kylems11 wrote:That looks sick. I always wanted a southard but the blade is too big. I wish sal would come up with a mini southard with a 3 inch blade. I think it would be very popular.
I thought I heard a rumor somewhere that there is talk with Brad Southard about doing another collaboration with a smaller knife. I sure hope so because he is one of the best in the business. Southard and Sal are the dream team!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

VeloWeave wrote:Thank you senorsquare, nice seeing you around the forums and IG.
What's your IG username?
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

senorsquare wrote:What's your IG username?
Same one as here... VeloWeave and also on the USN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gorgeous, I especially like the straight spine. The hump thing on the spine is probably my least favorite thing about this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Very much work done here, and it's great work. Congrats!
A 3" Southard would be welcome in my corner.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Cooooolest mix I've seen for a long time
LC Kid

Best Southard!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Saw another 'Mini' Southard almost identical at the EDC Forums.

Plain and Simple: The BEST Southard Ever!
:D
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Fabulous mod!! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Evil D wrote:Gorgeous, I especially like the straight spine. The hump thing on the spine is probably my least favorite thing about this knife.
The spine actually swoops down ever so slightly after the spydie hole and then makes its way back up and then drops off toward the tip. Thanks Evil D
gull wing wrote:Very much work done here, and it's great work. Congrats!
A 3" Southard would be welcome in my corner.
True that!
razorsharp wrote:Cooooolest mix I've seen for a long time
Thanks man!
LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

Saw another 'Mini' Southard almost identical at the EDC Forums.

Plain and Simple: The BEST Southard Ever!
:D
Thanks LC Kid. He is making them all original so each one will have a slight, or maybe not so slight variation. Right now there are 5 in existence and he's working on another 5 in the shop right now. You can follow along on his Instagram feed if you're curious. Instagram.com/bowerbladeworks
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Fabulous mod!! :D
Thanks RadioactiveSpyder