Exposed Ball Bearing Lock, what's the future hold?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Exposed Ball Bearing Lock, what's the future hold?

Post by paladin »

Pinetreebbs thread got me thinking...

Sal, are any future releases planned for this innovative, cool, ambidextrous, secure, & reliable lock?

If not...may I humbly suggest a FFG G10 Poliwog with a ceramic BB, ala the Sprint CF Dodo!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I personally love this lock. It does take up a lot of room in the handle though so I can see why they may want to steer away from it. I prefer this open BB lock over the caged BB lock. It's not any harder to unlock you just have to get accustomed to it. Just different.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

I always did like that big shiny ball bearing. :D

Tom
sal

Post by sal »

Eric, Peter Roque and I have redesigned the D'Allara and will be making a newer version with an open ball.

sal
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

See...ask and ye shall receive. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd like to see more open BBL locks too. I find them easier to use than the caged BBL. A new D'Allara should be very cool!
:bug-red-white
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

sal wrote:Eric, Peter Roque and I have redesigned the D'Allara and will be making a newer version with an open ball.

sal
WOW!
Love my D'Allara's.

"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:Eric, Peter Roque and I have redesigned the D'Allara and will be making a newer version with an open ball.

sal
I'm in for anything Spyderco :spyder: makes in memorium to John D'Allara...the BBL is just cake...

Hope the redesign includes a choil :D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

sal
Sweet. That always was a great knife.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm a choil lover too. I also hope it has a full, well rounded handle to distribute the force and ease the pressure on the palm when, for example, whittling wood for a long time. I've never held one in hand, but from the pictures the original seems to have tendencies in that direction already. I think that's a niche that needs filling.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never owned one but handled several. My impression was that with sweaty or wet/greasy hands that ball could be a pain to get traction on but I do vastly prefer the look of it over the caged version. It's very unique looking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

sal
FFG? Similar/same handle? I'm already in line ...

Gordon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David Lowry wrote:I personally love this lock. It does take up a lot of room in the handle though so I can see why they may want to steer away from it. I prefer this open BB lock over the caged BB lock. It's not any harder to unlock you just have to get accustomed to it. Just different.
That may be true for you, David. However, as someone with "a touch of arthritis" in his hands and a habit of keeping his fingernails quite short, I can tell you that an exposed ball bearing lock is impossible for me to close one handed and somewhat difficult to release even two handed. I'll admit that I don't really care for either version of the ball bearing lock, but the caged one is considerably easier for me to operate.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

David Lowry wrote:I personally love this lock. It does take up a lot of room in the handle though so I can see why they may want to steer away from it. I prefer this open BB lock over the caged BB lock. It's not any harder to unlock you just have to get accustomed to it. Just different.
I prefer it myself. That is why I still own my Dodo, Poliwog, and Phoenix. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
sal

Post by sal »

We made the knife narrower (top to bottom). That was the main issue and considerable effort went into fitting the ball into a narrower format. We plan to make a full liner / G-10 version to test the lock. The 2nd problem was too thick, not in the hand, but in the pocket. So once the lock is proven, we plan to make a slightly rounded handled. Essentially a smaller package with the same blade length. No finger choil.

sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

sal wrote:We made the knife narrower (top to bottom). That was the main issue and considerable effort went into fitting the ball into a narrower format. We plan to make a full liner / G-10 version to test the lock. The 2nd problem was too thick, not in the hand, but in the pocket. So once the lock is proven, we plan to make a slightly rounded handled. Essentially a smaller package with the same blade length. No finger choil.

sal
This sounds like a winner to me. What will be the blade length on this model and steel choice?

Jon
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote: No finger choil.

sal
:( I'm still in for 1 , however
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'd like to cast my vote for paladin's suggestion of a Polliwog sprint since I missed out on that model the first go around. I'd also be curious to know whether there's a chance for any more Dodo sprints.

Second, I'm curious about the wear characteristics of the ceramic ball bearing lock. Since I assume the ceramic is much harder than any of the steel in the knife, should there be any concern that the ball could wear away along the path it travels in the steel cutout? Or is it a non-issue since the surface of the ball is round and smooth?

Obviously, it must be a non-issue since the ceramic design was used on the new Tusk...I'm just curious about the "why". I'm also curious as to whether it's a change that can easily be substituted on a previous model like the Polliwog where tooling has already been done, or if it's more complicated than that.
paladin

Post by paladin »

timlara wrote: Obviously, it must be a non-issue since the ceramic design was used on the new Tusk...I'm just curious about the "why". I'm also curious as to whether it's a change that can easily be substituted on a previous model like the Polliwog where tooling has already been done, or if it's more complicated than that.
IIRC, forum members have "reverse engineered" some of the older Dodos with the steel BB and replaced them with the ceramic BB. There is a manufacturer who makes the perfect sized ceramic BB.

Insert standard disclaimer here >>> about VOIDED WARRANTY for any such venture...

There is a thread here I am sure about it.

I'll try to look it up...my search skills are not that refined and this will give me good practice... :o
v8r

Post by v8r »

sal wrote:We made the knife narrower (top to bottom). That was the main issue and considerable effort went into fitting the ball into a narrower format. We plan to make a full liner / G-10 version to test the lock. The 2nd problem was too thick, not in the hand, but in the pocket. So once the lock is proven, we plan to make a slightly rounded handled. Essentially a smaller package with the same blade length. No finger choil.

sal
I will go ahead and put my vote in for some orange G10, or some bright lime green.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p