Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ned

Post by Ned »

I on the other hand love brown G10, it looks classy and earthy and I would love to see more knives in it. :)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Manixfan, Like you I prefer something other than brown on the G10 Stretch that Ive been lobbying on for some time. Apparently though, everyone besides you and me (including the Paul, the biggest Stretch fan of them all!) prefer it. Not that I dislike brown but there are other colors I prefer. Lets hope it is received well so we see other colors down thr road like dark blue, smoke grey, dk green, foliage green, CF, etc.

Watch, right on cue everyone's gonna comment in support of brown LOL
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
MCM

Post by MCM »

I am not a fan of the brown.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
TBob

Post by TBob »

Although I love my Stretches, I'm not a fan of the proposed brown. I will hold out for CF or something in black or blue. CF would be my first choice.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Ned wrote:I on the other hand love brown G10, it looks classy and earthy and I would love to see more knives in it. :)
Yup "earthy" would be the polite way to describe it. :D

I guess in the future, a more creative way to let someone know how classy they are would be to call them an "Earth-Head".

The original Casual Bombshell stated CF........my enthusiasm for a beautiful new Stretch has now been "Earthed-On". My highschool colours were Brown and Orange (mascot - "Bears") ......you should have seen our gym outfits. Ugly brown polyester-type baggy athletic shorts with orange t-shirts (shudder). I still can't stand orange or brown on anything .......and that goes for knife scales as well.

Oh well, I might just have to go look for an old CF stretch and have that tide me over until an attractive version of the new Stretch is released. Either that or wait until someone has produced modded CF scales that I can swap out the "Earthy" looking scales for.......

I think that I have to go embark on some poly-substance abuse just to get over the trauma.......

A little quote to accurately describe my feelings, (bold & italicized where creative license was taken) :( :( :(

"Oh, the humanity! And all the collectors screaming around here. I told you; it—I can't even talk to people, their hopes are on there! Ah! It's... it... it's a... ah! I... I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest: my dreams of a new CF Stretch, just laying there, mass of smoking wreckage."

:( :mad: :( :mad: :(
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

BUT coyote brown>smurf blue
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

ManixFan wrote: my dreams of a new CF Stretch, just laying there, mass of smoking wreckage.
What's stopping you from aftermarket mods? I sure hope Sal doesn't gauge sales on something in Coyote Brown though.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

SolidState wrote:What's stopping you from aftermarket mods? I sure hope Sal doesn't gauge sales on something in Coyote Brown though.
Nothing stopping me from any aftermarket mods.........but I sure hate to reward such a crappy choice of colour (pun intended) by purchasing one and becoming a positive statistic that may result in future crappy colour choices of otherwise awesome products. If no one buys the ca-ca coloured Stretches then less ca-ca coloured knives in the future. Nothing speaks so strongly as a financial loss originating from a poor choice of colour.......which would be a shame for a knife that should have hit it out of the park with a wiser choice of scale colour or material.

Hopefully a white-knight distributor will come to the rescue and commission a Blue Weave version CF or Midnight Blue Peel Ply CF or something else in a tasteful colour.

I suppose that I'll have to go out and buy the Black Nishijin Damascus Stretch now to match the Blue Nishijin one that I already have since it appears that it might be awhile until another Stretch appears on the market that would be a "looker". Never thought that a "Casual Bombshell" would ever end up depressing me but I suppose that is only because the original "Bombshell" raised such positive anticipation ......only to have it crushed with this recent news.

The Stretch is an iconic knife...... a re-release should be produced in a scale material/colour that all Spyderco collectors would appreciate. Smurf blue, toxic green or Orange would be another mistake......these are niche colours that people should have aftermarket scales made for if they want their favourite niche colour.

Hopefully Sal's "recollection" in the BladeForum's "bombshell" was mistaken and his original announcement of CF was the correct one (hopefully not polished CF either). Either that or hopefully enough people would object to a brown scaled new Stretch that the folks at Spyderco would realize that brown G-10 really is not the colour (or perhaps even the material) that most people would want in a new version Stretch.

Perhaps a poll would be in order? Afterall Spyderco is famous for reacting to the suggestions of their fans/customers......if enough people express their preference for a colour other than ca-ca brown then perhaps they would listen. :)

Let's hear from everyone who would prefer another colour besides ca-ca brown for the new Stretch..........because you can bet that all the fans of ca-ca brown will be voicing their opinion on it now. Even if you "don't mind" brown scales......please respond if you would "prefer" something else. I would think that the lack of a great amount of brown in Spyderco's production is for the very real reason that other colours are preferred. But for a brand new version of the Stretch ............IMHO.......a huge mistake. Oh sure people will buy it because it is after all a new Stretch but I would bet that far more would buy it if it were produced in a more attractive colour.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like Coyote Brown and will have no qualms whatsoever about purchasing one. In particular I like the shade that was used on the Calypso sprint.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

twinboysdad wrote:BUT coyote brown>smurf blue
BUT how about dark blue, foliage green, charcoal grey.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

twinboysdad wrote:BUT coyote brown>smurf blue
I must disagree. Any blue>coyote brown IMO.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

FCM415 wrote:BUT how about dark blue, foliage green, charcoal grey.
Yes, yes Charcoal Grey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Guys... I think some of you may be confusing coyote with brown. If you goodle "coyote brown G-10," google, being adjective-noun challenged, gives you an assortment of coyote and brown. I realize that you may feel the same way about coyote that you do about brown, but they are two different colors, coyote being much lighter. The coyote that I have seen is nothing like Southard or PM2 earth brown.

Here's what you get if you google just "coyote G-10" images. (similar to post #1278 in this thread)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Yup, there are a great many shades of Brown......I too can produce many different shades ......just by way of a change in my diet. :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Sure, Id like light brown/tan/Coyote more than the darker brown. Im not sure about others Doug but I dont have them confused and would prefer many other color options/shades than any sort of brown. But again yes Id prefer a lighter brown.

We should probably wrap this discussion up soon on the bombshell thread hehe.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Its ok. Sal already said its coyote brown and the vast majority really like and prefer it so it is what it is.
-Leonard Nimoy
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

And RIT dye is cheap and easy to use... :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

FCM415 wrote:Its ok. Sal already said its coyote brown and the vast majority really like and prefer it so it is what it is.
The vast majority? I beg to differ....where is this statistic coming from, what poll.........oooops, you got me there! :)

Excellent use of subtle sarcasm. Well done FCM!!!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

ManixFan wrote:The vast majority? I beg to differ....where is this statistic coming from, what poll.........oooops, you got me there! :)

Excellent use of subtle sarcasm. Well done FCM!!!
Heh... During (several) discussions the last two years regarding the Stretch, Im there talking about dark blue etc. Sal asks for color opinions and eveyone goes brown brown brown brown brown brown brown brown. When Sal announced the color, everyones was like yaaay brown.

The few saying they dont prefer brown should have been in those threads pulling for something else lol. Again, brown shades are cool but so many others out there id rather see first.
-Leonard Nimoy
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

I'm really excited about the color, hopefully they make more models in coyote!