Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

remnar wrote:870's don't always work. My 870 pump was the only gun that I've owned and sold with absolutely not regrets. I know they have a huge fan base, but I wasn't impressed at all with mine. I didn't know that a pump gun could have so many issues with cycling certain types of ammo. It could have just been a lemon, but there is nothing special about the 870 that would make me want another one, as a matter of fact I ignored all of the 870s on the gun rack today and eyeballed a couple of Mossbergs and a Winchester. HHhmmmm! :rolleyes:
My bet is on lemon. My great grandfather, grandfather, father, and now me have all had 870s for the majority of our lives, and I can't recall any instances where we had issues. Obviously I wasn't around for quite a bit of their lives, but they speak volumes of their 870s, and for the time I was around them, their 870s were solid as ****, even if they were old and worn, even when wearing rust. However, every weapon will malfunction at some point, whether it is a el-cheapo pot metal 1911, Glock (Yes, they jam fan girls), or even Remmy 870s. Long story short, 870s, in my experience, have operated at 100%, so I will stick with them.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

xceptnl wrote:I think the Wingmaster is beautiful, but for function the Winchester guns always make me happier to shoot. I have a 1200 Walnut field gun and a 1300 Black shadow, both 12 ga.
No denying the quality of Winchester pump guns. I wish they didn't discontinue the 1200 and 1300.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

Officer Gigglez wrote:My bet is on lemon. My great grandfather, grandfather, father, and now me have all had 870s for the majority of our lives, and I can't recall any instances where we had issues. Obviously I wasn't around for quite a bit of their lives, but they speak volumes of their 870s, and for the time I was around them, their 870s were solid as ****, even if they were old and worn, even when wearing rust. However, every weapon will malfunction at some point, whether it is a el-cheapo pot metal 1911, Glock (Yes, they jam fan girls), or even Remmy 870s. Long story short, 870s, in my experience, have operated at 100%, so I will stick with them.
Yeah, my wife's 870 has been 100%, even with those little short Aguila slugs. Eats everything, my 11-87 is pretty good as long as you keep it nice and oily. 100% with buckshot so far (15 years). Never had a Glock or anything else that was perfect, although with Glocks, it's often mag related. I shot IPSC for many years, thus have seen many, many malfunctions in various firearms!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a model 870 Wingmaster lightweight in 20 gauge with short smooth bore barrel and rifle sights that shoots slugs like a rifle. The last time I shot it for zero I pulled the little Orange price sticker off a loaf of bread stuck it to a stump in the yard and put the first slug through the edge of it at 25 yards. Then I moved a little closer with #6's aimed at the slug hole and had a perfect pattern with the slug dead center.Another plus is that 20 gauge slugs are about as good a buy as you will find in ammo right now.
If I could own only one gun it would be a Remington 870 with smoothbore barrel and rifle sights. You can hunt both deer and all small game and birds plus it makes one heck of a home defense gun.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My 870 is a 20 gauge...perfect magpie gun.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

I have my fathers 870 Wingmaster from the mid-70's and it shoots great. I have never had any problems with my Remington shotguns (I also have my grandfathers 1100 circa 1970 that I shoot with competitively). I was raised on an 870, first gun I ever fired, and they have never ever failed me to this point. I have not witnessed a single malfunction! Therefore I will continue to live, breath, and bleed Remington 870's.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Added this to my collection yesterday. It's a .22 LR version of the 1911 made by German Sport Guns and imported by ATI. Not an exact 1911 clone, but very close in terms of size, weight, functioning, and takedown. Trigger pull is excellent, very close to that of a good .22 target pistol, and a darn sight better than a couple other .22 plinkers I tried and passed on recently.

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]
Saw it for sale on a message board, read a few very favorable reviews and watched this YouTube video, and figured it was worth picking up.

[CENTER][video=youtube;z8uLdRIFpPY]https://youtu.be/z8uLdRIFpPY[/video][/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Officer Gigglez

The Deacon wrote:Added this to my collection yesterday. It's a .22 LR version of the 1911 made by German Sport Guns and imported by ATI. Not an exact 1911 clone, but very close in terms of size, weight, functioning, and takedown. Trigger pull is excellent, very close to that of a good .22 target pistol, and a darn sight better than a couple other .22 plinkers I tried and passed on recently.

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]
Saw it for sale on a message board, read a few very favorable reviews and watched this YouTube video, and figured it was worth picking up.

[CENTER][video=youtube;z8uLdRIFpPY]https://youtu.be/z8uLdRIFpPY[/video][/CENTER]
Cool. I ear Chiappa makes a decent .22 1911, but I won't be getting one anytime soon, due the lack of .22 on the market.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Added this to my collection yesterday. It's a .22 LR version of the 1911 made by German Sport Guns and imported by ATI. Not an exact 1911 clone, but very close in terms of size, weight, functioning, and takedown. Trigger pull is excellent, very close to that of a good .22 target pistol, and a darn sight better than a couple other .22 plinkers I tried and passed on recently.

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]
Great grab Paul. I considered one of these for a while, but decided on a classic Ruger MKIII (22/45) instead. Colt also inports a few versions of this 1911-22 clone
Officer Gigglez wrote:Cool. I ear Chiappa makes a decent .22 1911, but I won't be getting one anytime soon, due the lack of .22 on the market.
I have looked into the Chiappa as well as the model Paul chose and although the later is what I would have chosen (due to similarities with the real 1911s) I liked the fixed barrel concept of the Chiappa. I would imagine the physics alone would make the Chiappa more accurate (potentially).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:Great grab Paul. I considered one of these for a while, but decided on a classic Ruger MKIII (22/45) instead. Colt also inports a few versions of this 1911-22 clone

I have looked into the Chiappa as well as the model Paul chose and although the later is what I would have chosen (due to similarities with the real 1911s) I liked the fixed barrel concept of the Chiappa. I would imagine the physics alone would make the Chiappa more accurate (potentially).
Thanks. Regarding the barrel, the one on the ATI/GSG, while removable, doesn't use a link like a regular 1911 and, in addition to the slide stop, is held in place by a second pin, so it's fairly rigid. Granted, it's not the ideal, but neither is the Chiappa since the sights are still on the slide. For precision target work, the ideal is a setup like your Ruger Mk III where the barrel and both sights are mounted rigidly to the frame.
Paul
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I sold my Glock 21sf to my Dad about five years ago, I gave him a good deal. Then sold my Glock 23 to him a few months back. Lol, I missed owning a Glock so...
Sorry Dad, your not getting this one. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ned

Post by Ned »

Glock 19, Gen 4...Excellent!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Officer Gigglez

Just grabbed a Beretta Cx4 in .40 Smith. Great little carbine. I just wished there were bigger mag for it. mine take PX4 mags, and they only go to 17. But 17 isn't bad, given that I was only wanting 20 round mags.
Traded my Mini 14 Ranch with all of my mags for this.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Why are U.N. Troops in America? Got an email in regard to this today more specifically about a convoy of 30 U.N.Vehicles somewhere in Texas loaded with fully armed troops. Then when I start searching online I see where U.N. Troops have been ordered to kill Americans who don't hand over their guns and all kind of crazy stuff..What are your thou:ghts on this
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Why are U.N. Troops in America? Got an email in regard to this today more specifically about a convoy of 30 U.N.Vehicles somewhere in Texas loaded with fully armed troops. Then when I start searching online I see where U.N. Troops have been ordered to kill Americans who don't hand over their guns and all kind of crazy stuff..What are your thou:ghts on this
One too many tabs of acid?
Paul
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That looks really cool. I didn't know there was such a nice rifle out there that would use the same ammo as my Glock. I'm sure I can't afford it, but that is definitely on the future wishlist.
Officer Gigglez wrote:Just grabbed a Beretta Cx4 in .40 Smith. Great little carbine. I just wished there were bigger mag for it. mine take PX4 mags, and they only go to 17. But 17 isn't bad, given that I was only wanting 20 round mags.
Traded my Mini 14 Ranch with all of my mags for this.
Officer Gigglez

cabfrank wrote:That looks really cool. I didn't know there was such a nice rifle out there that would use the same ammo as my Glock. I'm sure I can't afford it, but that is definitely on the future wishlist.
The CX4 isn't the only pistol caliber carbine out there, but it is my favorite. They can be had for around 800, but I've seen a few as low as 500.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

More Beretta. 92FS, LNIB.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Why are U.N. Troops in America? Got an email in regard to this today more specifically about a convoy of 30 U.N.Vehicles somewhere in Texas loaded with fully armed troops. Then when I start searching online I see where U.N. Troops have been ordered to kill Americans who don't hand over their guns and all kind of crazy stuff..What are your thou:ghts on this
What is the source of your email? What Internet sources convinced you this email contained truth?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for the info.
Officer Gigglez wrote:The CX4 isn't the only pistol caliber carbine out there, but it is my favorite. They can be had for around 800, but I've seen a few as low as 500.