Sad Techno Mishap, Was it Due to Defects? Find out here! (PICS!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifeaddict

Post by Knifeaddict »

I gaurantee contacting Spyderco would have resulted in a happy customer on this. I have always had a very nice experience when dealing with Spyderco. The lady I spoke to last time was so pleasant and accomodating and I was helped beyond expectation. what a great American company. !!
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Knifeaddict wrote:I gaurantee contacting Spyderco would have resulted in a happy customer on this. I have always had a very nice experience when dealing with Spyderco. The lady I spoke to last time was so pleasant and accomodating and I was helped beyond expectation. what a great American company. !!
Could you elaborate?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Scorpion wrote:Could you elaborate?
He's probably wrong. Spyderco is incapable of sending you an invincible knife that is incapable of being scuffed no matter what you do to it, which is clearly what you want.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Scratches and dings give tools character. Both my guns and knives are used, and have the marks to show it. I don't want to own any unless they see use.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

The bigger issue than the dings was the edge chipping. It was ripping not cutting. I can't afford a $60+ sharpening system so I took a $20 hit and moved on. Sheesh.
Sharpdressed man

Post by Sharpdressed man »

I think Spyderco has done a superb job colaborating with Sylsz and producing the Techno. This knife is one of the finest knives manufactured.
IMHO running will cause your upper thigh to push up the knife in that watch pocket. Eventually the knife will be nudged out and fall. This is in no way a design defect. Again this is my opinion: expecting the knife not to fall out under those conditions is the users ignorance, or neglance and fault. (Opinion, remember.)
I took the clip off my Techno for that reason. It is too heavy to rely on a clip especially in the watch pocket.
I simply never use any clips to hold any of my knives in place especially the really favorite and/or valuable ones.
Knifeaddict

Post by Knifeaddict »

Just saying they try their best to make you happy . unlike so many other businesses which would tell you "sorry youre **** out of luck" or "we'll do somehting but its gonna cost you time and money" I bet my bottom dollar if you had sent it in what you got back would have been more than you expected to the best of their reasonable ability . I hear you on the edge chips. I have a basic sharpener and from my limited understanding the only way to "fix " the chips would be to grind down the edge past the depth of the chips correct? you cant magically make them disappear as far as I know. I think the negative criticism you are getting is because you started the whole thing with the blame being on Spyderco for selling an inferior product which gets the fanboys all riled up :)

I can only handle bringing a dull edge back to arm hair cutting sharpeness using my basic clam sharpener which cost me $10 bucks or so. I wouldnt carry a knife if I had to send it back to the manufacturer every time it needed to be sharpened. Its not economically feasible or practical to me. so I have tried my best to maintain a working edge on my few knives that I use but I have no idea how to do secondary bevels or mirror polished edges or any of that stuff. and there have been many hours spent in frustration trying to unsuccessfully obtain a good razor edge on some of the knives I have owned. I find the Spyderco flat grind to be one of the easiest to maintain though being so thin I have experienced chipping on S30V blades as opposed to VG10 blades.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm not going to rehash what has already been said, but a title change to the thread would probably be in order.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Scorpion wrote:The bigger issue than the dings was the edge chipping. It was ripping not cutting. I can't afford a $60+ sharpening system so I took a $20 hit and moved on. Sheesh.
Good decision.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Scorpion wrote:The bigger issue than the dings was the edge chipping. It was ripping not cutting. I can't afford a $60+ sharpening system so I took a $20 hit and moved on. Sheesh.
But what will you do when the next knife needs to be sharpened?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sheesh nothing. You are not ready for a knife. Good thing you got rid of it. Next knife.......buy a plastic toy.

You had a $200 knife but you can't afford a $60 sharpening system? Riiiiiiiiight.

Dude's trolling hard!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
hom76

Post by hom76 »

Techno is one of the best knives I own and sharpmaker is one of the best value spyderco products I own.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

David Lowry wrote:Sheesh nothing. You are not ready for a knife. Good thing you got rid of it. Next knife.......buy a plastic toy.

You had a $200 knife but you can't afford a $60 sharpening system? Riiiiiiiiight.

Dude's trolling hard!
For a knife in the condition he's describing, he only took a $20 hit?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Strong-Dog wrote:For a knife in the condition he's describing, he only took a $20 hit?
I bought used for $140, sold for $120.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Time to buy a delica and a sharpmaker.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

David Lowry wrote:Sheesh nothing. You are not ready for a knife. Good thing you got rid of it. Next knife.......buy a plastic toy.

Dude's trolling hard!
Clip

Post by Clip »

First you buy things to make things sharp, then you buy sharp things.

A Norton double-sided bench stone is a great and cheap investment. I'm sure others would agree there are plenty of options under $60 to keep your edges maintained. As the cost goes down, only a little more effort is required to learn to use them properly.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris